The Championship & EFL Thread

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Got up this morning and still cant believe that turnaround last night , Who knows what will happen in the Playoffs , Brentford are the best team i saw live this season at our ground for sure , But with Brewster on form anything could happen..

I'm guessing your team is Swansea?

Quite possibly an all Welsh play off final now I think.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
That's right , it was 1-1 in both games with about 25 mins left and we ended up winning 4-1 and forest lost 4-1 ....
Its like 2011 when we sneaked in at 6th and went on to 7 great years in the premier league...

Because of the two EPL games I clean forgot about the Championship games.

What strange results and you have to feel for Wigan, who knows they may yet receive some relaxation of their punishment.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing your team is Swansea?

Quite possibly an all Welsh play off final now I think.
Yes Swans Fan.... Before this Pandemic i had a decent record of One home game missed in 11 seasons, now thats gone out the window:confused:
Would dread the All welsh play off final , if we lost it... Never hear the end of it

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Yes Swans Fan.... Before this Pandemic i had a decent record of One home game missed in 11 seasons, now thats gone out the window:confused:
Would dread the All welsh play off final , if we lost it... Never hear the end of it

One of ours has missed one game in a decade (he says). Every away game I go he's always there so I don't doubt him.
FWIW Twin Town is my all time fave movie (which probably tells you I don't watch many movies) and I mention it because I know most of it was filmed in and around Swansea.

"I was born..."
"Where were you born?"
"Under a Swansea star..."

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Finally caught up with "EFL on Quest" today.

First of all, well done to Leeds and West Brom. It goes without saying, but there's a huge quality gap between the PL and the Championship - you have to defend better and the strikers are ruthless if you make a mistake.

The Baggies have a reputation of being a yo-yo club and I don't see anything to change that perception - I think they will struggle. Leeds are a great unknown - they are good going forward and their home support is raucous, their team is also athletic and fit. But I'm still not convinced about them defensively and I can see them conceding goals regularly.

I would've tipped Brentford all day long in the Play Offs, but they were lifeless during the past two games when they had promotion in their hands. Fulham always look good in the Championship, but short in the PL. Swansea play pretty football but concede too many goals. So sticking my neck out (and waiting for it to be chopped off!), I'd say Cardiff have the best balance between attack and defence, plus they've got PL experience.

As for the bottom, what can you say? Wigan simply do not deserve to go down based on form and performances. They've been betrayed by incompetence elsewhere and the whole "Fit & Proper" regulations need to be dismantled and rewritten because it's clearly not working. Charlton brought very little to the League and badly missed Lyle Taylor's goals. Hull sold their two best players and promptly fell off a cliff - neither team will be missed (apart from by their fans, of course).

Barnsley deserved to stay up because they were brave and they've got a great manager (who they'll probably promptly sack if they get off to a bad start next Season! There's no loyalty in football). Wigan finished in 12th. 12th! But it's highly unlikely they'll get any points reinstated and Barnsley wouldn't like it as it would be them for the drop, so the EFL will probably just cave in to keep the peace.

Finally, I know we all know this, but there's a clear pattern here - why doesn't this ever happen in the PL? Why are clubs allowed to spend 95% of their income on wages without any kind of penalty? Why aren't there salary caps throughout football? Why are EFL administrators so incompetent but still keep their jobs?

Oh well, here's to next Season. Whoever drops down from the PL is in for a hard time getting back out again....

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Is Bournemouth but far from being relegated by a piece of VAR involving Aston Villa months ago, can we say that realistically Bournemouth weren't good enough over the season and that many other clubs have been affected by poor / controversial VAR decisions.

I thought by Howe's body language and words post Everton that he won't be hanging around but that it might be good for the Cherries to make a fresh start in a division that they are more suited too.

Nice read that @Derek S-H - I was thinking about making a thread for 20/21 but as this one has no year in the title, just keep this one running on.

Word is that the NL will be starting on 3rd October with reduced attendance in grounds but where we average 2000 and the capacity is around 6000 it shouldn't make much difference.

New trips to Wealdstone and Kings Lynn to look forward to and possibly Weymouth!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Well, just finished watching the final "MOTD" of the Season, and what a weird Season it's been.

I know this is supposed to be about the Championship & EFL, but the Premier League casts such a long shadow that it's impossible to talk about footie without mentioning it.

I agree with you @When In Rome - Bournemouth stopped scoring and conceded far too many goals to ever stay up. Yes, they won their final game, but Everton looked like they were just going through the motions. I think Eddie is a good manager, but he needs to step back and look at his defensive record because it's clearly not good enough.

It's such a shame as I was thrilled when they were promoted and it's been so good for the town. The TV money has allowed them to put funds into the infrastructure, which is important to their long term survival, but I don't think they've recruited wisely at all and it looks likely they'll lose their best defender in Ake.

As for Watford, where do I start? It's an obvious cliche in football - give the manager time - but they've been the absolute worst at achieving this. In fact, it seems the complete opposite: how many managers can we go through in one Season without thinking about what effect that might have on the players, or the stability of the club.

I feel sorry for their fans, obviously, but I am glad they went down because their hierarchy is dreadful and I'm pleased their hire-then-fire policy has backfired on them. What a comedown from reaching the FA Cup Final last Season (though they were never going to beat City)!

Both clubs (and Norwich, who looked way out of their depth) must be very grateful for the parachute payments as it should allow them to maintain most of their squads. But as I said before, I don't think any of them would be classed as favourites for automatic promotion.

Congratulations to Barrow and I wish them well in the Football League. Special mention must go to Coventry who somehow, miraculously, achieved promotion without playing a single game at home! And well done Wycombe, many pundits' tip for relegation at the start of the Season.

Finally, I guess it is indicative of the state of English football that this Thread which covers three Leagues barely makes it to eight pages, whilst the PL Thread runs to 739. All we've been hearing about is how much the fans matter, but, in my opinion, the clubs don't really care in the top Division as they have sponsorship deals and the TV money.

Leagues One & Two finished early because they are so dependent on fans through the turnstiles. It was touch and go in the Championship and I still don't know how, financially speaking, they managed to complete the Season. But I don't think there was ever any doubt the PL would complete their fixtures; it's almost like they don't actually need people in the stadiums anymore, it doesn't seem to make any difference and even as a Liverpool fan this saddens me enormously.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I'll keep this Thread alive, even if it's just me and @When In Rome replying to each other!

So Brentford finally showed some form and came good, and Fulham squeaked over the line. I suppose they will be favourites for the Final as they've been there before and won, and experience is a priceless commodity.

Now that we've lost Bournemouth from the top flight, I would love to see Brentford promoted. They have an excellent manager, play stylish attacking football and the money would go a long way to paying back the cost of building the new stadium.

Doesn't matter if they're one-Season wonders either, the money they'd earn would last a long time in a club that size and the parachute payments, if they were to be relegated, are nothing to be sniffed at.

Come on Brentford!!

Theseus

I'll keep this Thread alive, even if it's just me and @When In Rome replying to each other!

So Brentford finally showed some form and came good, and Fulham squeaked over the line. I suppose they will be favourites for the Final as they've been there before and won, and experience is a priceless commodity.

Now that we've lost Bournemouth from the top flight, I would love to see Brentford promoted. They have an excellent manager, play stylish attacking football and the money would go a long way to paying back the cost of building the new stadium.

Doesn't matter if they're one-Season wonders either, the money they'd earn would last a long time in a club that size and the parachute payments, if they were to be relegated, are nothing to be sniffed at.

Come on Brentford!!

It would be good to see a fresh face in the PL, not just the usual suspects. Come on Brentford!

beechy06

Come on Brentford!!

Yep Brentford for me too, they deserve it with how they’ve planned this season and how they have gone about it, not keen on Fulham either

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Quick bump for tomorrow: having endured the FA Cup Final (which seemed to go on forever, and that was just the 30 minute highlights!), I have a bad feeling that Fulham will come through.

Why? Because I'd forgotten that Wembley is a terrible pitch to play football on. The surface is slow and heavy, the ball doesn't run quickly and the players look like they are trudging through treacle.

This will not benefit Brentford who like to move the ball quickly from back to front, whereas Fulham play a more patient, possession-based game.

I guess we'll see.

Oh, and congratulations to Harrogate Town for getting into the Football League for the first time in their history. Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of semi-professional football!

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
It was alright @Derek S-H until that last sentence.

Our club actually tweeted congratulations to Harrogate and I was like "whaaaat?" :eek:

Focus on our club and getting OUR league status back, I tweeted back.

Some mini argument ensued, several Shots fans agreed with me, some said I was disrespectful.

Either way, too many niceties in sport these days, all gone soft. What next, partying with Woking fans?

Harrogate, the way its run like Salford, Solihull frigging Moors, oh and Forest Green, is a joke, hopefully the success will be very short lived for Harrogate.

There on merit, certainly. Doesn't mean I have to applaud it or be a "sportsman".

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
This year it's called the £175m game, the Championship play offs decider at Wembley.

Been reading the Sky Sports preview thread on Twitter.

Seems most people would like Brentford to be promoted over Fulham who have taken over the yoyo mantle from Crystal Palace.

"Fulham will go down before they even go up" was one comment.

Everyone wants to sign Said Benrahma or at least see him play in the Premier League.

Some think Brentford could be the new Leicester.

I think they could be on a par with Bournemouth and Brighton, perhaps treading water for a few years before ultimately sinking.

This is one of those games where you want to make a home made chicken curry and a few bottles of Singha (other lagers are available) at the ready.

When it's done and dusted everyone can look forward to the 20/21 fixtures to be published.

Sadly, Covid is here for the long haul and despite some optimism from officialdom, I don't see fans being back in stadiums for quite a while which could be the death knoll for clubs like mine.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
With England on their way to a three-nil at the Rose Bowl, settling down to watch this decider with said chicken Madras (technically Chennai).

Early team news is that Mitrovic is only fit enough for a place on the bench.

The BMW starts for the Bees.

Brentford
  • Raya
  • Dalsgaard
  • Jansson
  • Pinnock
  • Henry
  • Jensen
  • Nørgaard
  • Dasilva
  • Mbeumo
  • Watkins
  • Benrahma
Fulham
  • Rodák
  • Odoi
  • Hector
  • Ream
  • Bryan
  • Reed
  • Cairney
  • Kamara
  • Onomah
  • Kebano
  • De Cordova-Reid

arenaman

If I had to choose It would be nice to see Brentford win, I'd be more interested to see what they could do in the EPL than Fulham

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
They rave about that Benrahma but he hold onto the ball for far too long

Josh Onomah has looked decent.

With Mitrovic to come on you have to say Brentford need to take a chance sooner or later

mudshark

Distinguished Member
This is possibly the worst game I have ever watched. The drinks breaks have been the most exciting bit!

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
This is possibly the worst game I have ever watched. The drinks breaks have been the most exciting bit!

Absolutely dreadful. Even our cat is curled up asleep

But now Brentford are behind to a sucker punch free kick, they'll have to do something.

So far they've done very little and no complaints should they go on to lose.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett