The Championship & EFL Thread

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
@GaryB19722010 good to see you still around - we need a Championship thread and I hadn't done one.

Got Friend and Flint in my fantasy team - Britt too expensive and often gets benched.

Pulis has a very good record and Boro probably will go up.

Last night the lights went out at the City Ground but Millwall staged a late comeback, as did WBA to draw 2-2 at Sheffield Wednesday.

Sheffield United are the new kid in town at the top but I expect Boro and Leeds to maintain their good starts.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Dean Smith: Aston Villa appoint new head coach with John Terry as assistant

I am never enamoured with these managers who dismiss speculation one week only to abandon their ship the next.

"It's not even a question because I haven't been approached" said Dean Smith last weekend, adding that Brentford was a fantastic work in progress and that he was happy doing what he was doing.

In any event, I remain unconvinced that Smith is a Dyche in waiting although time will tell.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
So did it go in off his hand or his knee? Or maybe it was a combination of both? Either way it was the "we wuz robbed" protests from all the Forest players as Leeds snatched what probably was a deserved point on the balance of play.

Middlesbrough also gained a point but looked petrified from the off against Derby. The warning signs were there in the home draw with Rotherham and Middlesbrough's first home goal yesterday was their first in six hours albeit an own goal.

I've been wanting to ditch Friend for a while and so he'll be replaced by Charlie Mulgrew for next week; my team had risen to 14th out of 300 too, the highest it's ever been.

Last edited:

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
So did it go in off his hand or his knee? Or maybe it was a combination of both? Either way it was the "we wuz robbed" protests from all the Forest teams as Leeds snatched what probably was a deserved point on the balance of play.

Middlesbrough also gained a point but looked petrified from the off against Derby. The warning signs were there in the home draw with Rotherham and Middlesbrough's first home goal yesterday was their first in six hours albeit an own goal.

I've been wanting to ditch Friend for a while and so he'll be replaced by Charlie Mulgrew for next week; my team had risen to 14th out of 300 too, the highest it's ever been.
Yep I can confirm Boro were pants again yesterday

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
CHAMPIONSHIP

SHEFFIELD UNITED 1
  • McGoldrick
WEST BROMWICH ALBION 2
  • Barry
  • Gibbs
Looking at WBA's goalscorer's it must have been a case of too much heaven for the Blades and they just said "You win again!" :)

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Not much chat about the EFL?

The Championship is a great league this year, very competitive, better than the PL imo.

And even better as we are top OTBC!

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
A 'funny' from an EPL-er is ironically unfunny.

Yes, there should be more activity in this thread, there was last season - for one thing it's unlikely to be tainted by all those 'big clubs' and the 'big egos'.

Tonight it's Leeds up against WBA and it wouldn't surprise many if the Baggies turned Leeds over such is their current form, Leeds I mean.

And @mudshark I know that acronym- "on the ball City".

I expect Norwich to win the league but would worry about EPL survival with the current defence!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
The OTBC made me laugh that’s all. Thought it was amusing - in a good way.

Why do people keep getting upset about using the funny rating? Chill out ***!

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Just hearing about it on THAT radio station, I could watch it but am listening to Burnley at Liverpool.

Top three all winners yesterday and Nottingham Forest coming up on the rails for the play-offs.

Andy

Just hearing about it on THAT radio station, I could watch it but am listening to Burnley at Liverpool.

Top three all winners yesterday and Nottingham Forest coming up on the rails for the play-offs.

Fan is question has been arrested and on his way to the local station, hopefully Grealish presses charges so he'll be done for assault as well as being banned for life. Disgusting behaviour.

Leeds v Sheff Utd next weekend too, 6 pointer so to speak.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
"I bet his family are so ashamed of what he has done"

Thing is, the majority of home fans were cheering the miscreant. Chances are his family will be banging on about it on social media later or they are already.

And all this hyperbole from the radio pundits, all the opinions you would expect but it comes across like it's something we've not seen before.

Football clubs do what they can but none of them can predict or prepare what one or more supporters will do on a given day.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Mr G. Neville says that it's a crime and that clubs have to be fined to set a deterrent. I just don't believe it would. I'm old enough to remember fences and so are many others. Death penalties don't deter murders and financial penalties for the majority clubs on the rare occasions that these events happen will make no difference. We've seen it before and we will see it again. I don't have an answer to it, maybe there isn't one but to punish the football club for not controlling their fans that are by and large uncontrollable, well, you see the flaw in logic. And it does sound like that would be addressing the symptom rather than the cause.

hdsport

Mr G. Neville says that it's a crime and that clubs have to be fined to set a deterrent. I just don't believe it would. I'm old enough to remember fences and so are many others. Death penalties don't deter murders and financial penalties for the majority clubs on the rare occasions that these events happen will make no difference. We've seen it before and we will see it again. I don't have an answer to it, maybe there isn't one but to punish the football club for not controlling their fans that are by and large uncontrollable, well, you see the flaw in logic. And it does sound like that would be addressing the symptom rather than the cause.

It's difficult but clearly banning orders don't work so you have to start going further even if it's more punitive than deterring. Closing the section of the ground the fan came from maybe a start and if it happens again close 2 stands etc. It may start self policing amongst fans it may not but player safety is no less important than in any other workplace just because they are in the public eye and well paid. If fans can get a bottle of Buckfast and flares in it's not beyond the realms of possibility they get in something more sinister.

Also whilst it's only one guy it was more than one guy cheering him both in the ground and online.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Also whilst it's only one guy it was more than one guy cheering him both in the ground and online.

That is what I said earlier, not just that it was more like the whole stand. Such behaviours are in-bred and native.

Alan Shearer also says that Birmingham should carry a financial can. I like the way you have looked at this in terms of closing down one section to begin with. There does need to be something more constructive than just money deductions I feel.

Later on there was a copycat incident in an EPL game where a 'fan' tried to shove or did shove Chris Smalling.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett