The case against ps4

I love both Sony and Nintendo because they both give me very different and therefore complimentary experiences.

Don't feel the need to have to pick sides. So long as both do what they currently do then they'll have my custom. :)

If Nintendo offered the wealth of RPGs on either the 3DS or Wii U that they did with the DS then I'd be in like a shot.

If Ninty and Level 5 pulled their fingers out of their Japanese centric butts and gave us Dragon Quest X or VII for the 3DS even, it'd be some consolation.

They can't even manage an announcement on either though.

Doesn't instil much faith to be fair. :(

Lol no worries Taz.

But to yourself, Paul and JJ....are you not reminiscing just a tad?

You all talk of what Nintendo has done in the past, yet seem to skirt the issue of what they are doing now.

Which is.....not alot!

Paul as of using Resistance and Motorstorm as basis for the 'sequel' argument, there is no other franchise in gaming history that has been milked as much as Mario. ;)

I sincerely wish that Nintendo were doing something new and interesting, so that I could embrace it as I always did, but another Kart game or platformer with either Mario or his brother just doesn't cut it when you look at what Sony offers.

Sony are the innovators in this timeframe, not Nintendo. Those days are gone, like it or not.

Yes mate I agree. Apart from the Sony innovation bit, we decided a while ago in this thread that games just aren't innovative these days anyway. This gen Wii was more innovative than ps3, apart from sixaxis the controller of ps3 was pretty much the same as ps2.

I have to say I was disappointed when Nintendo launched Wii u with a 2d Mario. I haven't bought one as a result, can't really see any reason to either.

Yes mate I agree. Apart from the Sony innovation bit, we decided a while ago in this thread that games just aren't innovative these days anyway. This gen Wii was more innovative than ps3, apart from sixaxis the controller of ps3 was pretty much the same as ps2.

I have to say I was disappointed when Nintendo launched Wii u with a 2d Mario. I haven't bought one as a result, can't really see any reason to either.

It's sold 2million copies and many critics said that it's one of the best Mario games of all time. . .

I'm not sure what - how many dimensions it has - has to do with it being a great launch game?

Lol no worries Taz.

But to yourself, Paul and JJ....are you not reminiscing just a tad?

You all talk of what Nintendo has done in the past, yet seem to skirt the issue of what they are doing now.

Which is.....not alot!

Paul as of using Resistance and Motorstorm as basis for the 'sequel' argument, there is no other franchise in gaming history that has been milked as much as Mario. ;)

I sincerely wish that Nintendo were doing something new and interesting, so that I could embrace it as I always did, but another Kart game or platformer with either Mario or his brother just doesn't cut it when you look at what Sony offers.

Sony are the innovators in this timeframe, not Nintendo. Those days are gone, like it or not.

Miyamoto is working on some new franchises! That said I will probs get a ps4 also

The only game worth playing on the 3ds is Tales of the Abyss imo. I got bored of all the others my kids have.

The Vita however... I've already sunk in like 200 hours into various games on there (playing mostly 2 games... Disgaea 3 and Persona 4 Golden) and I could sink in 200 more hours just to complete them both and the other games I've played in between. Then I have 10 other games I got through Plus that I really want to complete. And then there's more on the horizon I'm looking forward to and being able to play all my PS4 games on it... Sony wins imo! And I loved my Nintendo gear in the past. Though the 3d on the 3ds is sweet I will say. I just wish the field of view for 3d wasn't so small. You have to look at it at a specific angle or it chops like a holograph.

The only game worth playing on the 3ds is Tales of the Abyss imo. I got bored of all the others my kids have.

The Vita however... I've already sunk in like 200 hours into various games on there (playing mostly 2 games... Disgaea 3 and Persona 4 Golden) and I could sink in 200 more hours just to complete them both and the other games I've played in between. Then I have 10 other games I got through Plus that I really want to complete. And then there's more on the horizon I'm looking forward to and being able to play all my PS4 games on it... Sony wins imo! And I loved my Nintendo gear in the past. Though the 3d on the 3ds is sweet I will say. I just wish the field of view for 3d wasn't so small. You have to look at it at a specific angle or it chops like a holograph.

There is no way there will be remote play on all ps4 games! Exclusives may be but most I think will use vita like smart glass

There is no way there will be remote play on all ps4 games! Exclusives may be but most I think will use vita like smart glass

Its already been confirmed. Only games that use Move wont be.

Sure Sony have said that all PS4 games except those who need the camera will have Remote Play. It's easy to implement and I think that they've gone as far as to make it a requirement like Trophies

don't really get the comment about lag online with PS3? I play tons of games online on both formats and can tell you that I have never experienced any more lag on PSN than LIVE. In fact, other than XCOM and cyrrently The Last of US on PS3 I don't really play anything offline and haven't for years

Yo, apologies if I turned the thread into a 'hate Nintendo' job.

The fact is, I don't. I love them and always have done.

I know it's a case of frustration with me, because I know for a fact they can do better.

I'm a Sony fanboy through and through, because ever since they brought us the PSOne, I believe they've given me the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

However, Nintendo have given me an extremely close second place with what they've delivered - and they were there for me even before the PSOne was a glint in Sony's eye!!

I suppose I always looked at Nintendo for offering me the RPG/JRPG experiences which, for one reason or another, weren't available on any other platform.

:(

Its already been confirmed. Only games that use Move wont be.

I hear you chalky, I really do but Sony often say things and fail to deliver.

Ie

“The possibility of creating a GMS, a global map system, users will be invited to upload their data. Users will start with all the pieces of information in their living room, their favorite restaurant, their school…. This is not just a pipe dream. You can enjoy the data in real time. You can fly through the landscape in real time.” — Ken Kutaragi in his Tokyo Game Show 2006 keynote.

PlayStation 3 will have two HDMI outputs, standard Wi-Fi, and support for 7 controllers. — Ken Kutaragi at Sony’s 2005 E3 press conference.

“We are happy to announce that PlayStation 3 will have backward compatibility…” — former Sony Computer Entertainment chairman Ken Kutaragi. (Failed to say only at 60g)

Don't get me wrong I will probs buy one but just because Sony say something does not mean anything

Sony have failed to deliver on a lot of stuff especially during the ps3 launch. However they got called on it and suffered as a result inboth sales and reputation. I doubt they'd want to go down that road. Personally id take sonys current hungry and proactive position to Nintendo's current anaemic, passive, almost arrogant "if we build it they will come" attitude.

Sony have failed to deliver on a lot of stuff especially during the ps3 launch. However they got called on it and suffered as a result inboth sales and reputation. I doubt they'd want to go down that road. Personally id take sonys current hungry and proactive position to Nintendo's current anaemic, passive, almost arrogant "if we build it they will come" attitude.

I like Sony and Nintendo. Just need to think Sony or x1

People don't grasp that SONY are very different than they were in 2006

Not a troll thread bear with me for a minute. There are so many reasons to buy a ps4 particually for myself.

1. More powerful
2. PS+
3. Indie games
4. Interface looks good
5. Integration with other devices
6. SSD potential
7. Touchscreen on controller
8. Exclusive sony video & music content
9. More first party support
10. Smaller

So essentially we will probably have better multiplats with more indie games. There are quite a few negatives though

First Party Studios

It is my opinion that sony first party is responsible for much of what is wrong in modern AAA gaming. Its hard to conceive why people get upset about QTE when it seems most sony games are based around the concept. I bought a ps3 recently after gaming on pc for the last 3 years and 360 before that. I have never seen so many QTE as I have on ps3, all from sony titles. Unchartered had a decent story and the QTE didn't really get in the way of the action but the situation was different in Heavy Rain and GoW. Halo, Crackdown, Fable & Gears ain't perfect but they seem to have more to them than a simple art style or story. In fact they may have pushed the boundries more than the big sony titles this gen.

Motion Gaming

If I'm gonna spend £400 on a console and get the camera etc I guess I may as well spend it on something which has next gen motion sensing.

Internet

Maybe the biggest question mark over ps4. I can play an xbox game online and its flawless. My PC games online? Generally flawless. My playstation games online? I get loads of lag, the downloads are slow, updates are dire and tbh I can't be bothered. I assume sony will sort it but I'm scared of handing the money over when I know xbox live is a perfect service in comparison.

PC/Tablet integration

GFWL might be awful but it adds to my Gamerscore. I run windows 8 and Microsoft smartglass is proven and works today. I haven't had a great experience with any sony software on pc or tablet so am left wondering whether there will be any point in owning a ps4 and any other hardware despite what sony say.

Lets see why you should own a PS4

1. Better Hardware giving developers much more to work with resulting in better gaming experiences.

2. Cheaper price at launch which means you wont pay anywhere near the amount you would pay for the competitions product which has less.

3. No restrictions at launch and no requirement to download a patch to remove them.

4. More and More games coming out fun to be had here

5. Looks better and slick than the competitions

6. Tons of potential with it

I grasp it I just do t believe In all it says!

What I don't grasp is, are Sony still in junk credit rating 'cos last time I read (recently) they were. I think the PS4 will bring them back in the black and I hope that what they are stating is going to happen with PS4, happens. They said a lot about PS3 before it launched and a lot didn't happen when it launched so we were kinda conned into false securities. Some people have said here in these threads that Sony have changed but I never see evidence of it :(

I supported Sony before by buying a couple of bravia TVs of theirs, a sound system, PS1, PS2 and PS3 so I've high hopes for PS4 but grasp that they've changed I haven't - they still seem to be the same old company but with new products :rolleyes:

Not sure we were conned at all. The final PS3 Specs were out before launch so its not like I went into the shop expecting my PS3 to have 2 HDMI. Now some of the features never materialised but has that lessened the experience. Nope.

Sony sell so many products though. I'm sure their credit will get better with PS4. It's going to sell a ton.

And in our business they sell HDCAMSR decks 80 grand :eek: And tapes for £80-£100 quid a pop (with one ep having two tapes). It's crazy the amount of money they make not even taking into account their consumer business.

What I don't grasp is, are Sony still in junk credit rating 'cos last time I read (recently) they were. I think the PS4 will bring them back in the black and I hope that what they are stating is going to happen with PS4, happens. They said a lot about PS3 before it launched and a lot didn't happen when it launched so we were kinda conned into false securities. Some people have said here in these threads that Sony have changed but I never see evidence of it :(

I supported Sony before by buying a couple of bravia TVs of theirs, a sound system, PS1, PS2 and PS3 so I've high hopes for PS4 but grasp that they've changed I haven't - they still seem to be the same old company but with new products :rolleyes:

Sony were downgraded to BB- (=junk) nearly a year ago for a whole variety of reasons, not least of which was 4 consecutive years of heavy losses.

To get out of that hole they need to a) restructure in a major way and b) get back some technological leadership.

Since then they have improved their results, showing a profit for the full year 2012.

Sony turns around: 2012 financial results show profit for first time in years - Pocket-lint

Outlook for 2013 appears to be quite positive as well with their earnings forecast for the year recently doubled.

One of the things they have done is shown greater focus in their range of products - concentrating on higher end products rather than attempting to cover every segment of the market - with the result that their TVs and mobile phones are the best products they've had in years and are selling well.

They have also reorganised, selling property assets and making a lot of redundancies.

They're not out of the woods yet but a big launch for PS4 will help them a lot.

Lets see why you should own a PS4

1. Better Hardware giving developers much more to work with resulting in better gaming experiences.

That's a bit woolly! Surely it's down to what developers do with it. Only time will tell.

2. Cheaper price at launch which means you wont pay anywhere near the amount you would pay for the competitions product which has less.

Cheaper yes! Not really a reason to own one though!

3. No restrictions at launch and no requirement to download a patch to remove them.

What restrictions at launch? Sony aren't going to be releasing any patches for PS4? Wow that's progress! :)

4. More and More games coming out fun to be had here

I should hope so! :(

5. Looks better and slick than the competitions

Seriously is that an issue? We're scraping the barrel now.

6. Tons of potential with it

The Xbox One has no potential? :confused:

Sony were downgraded to BB- (=junk) nearly a year ago for a whole variety of reasons, not least of which was 4 consecutive years of heavy losses.

Since then they have improved their results, showing a profit for the full year 2012.

Outlook for 2013 appears to be quite positive as well with their earnings forecast for the year recently doubled.

One of the things they have done is shown greater focus in their range of products - concentrating on higher end products rather than attempting to cover every segment of the market - with the result that their TVs and mobile phones are the best products they've had in years and are selling well.

They have also reorganised, selling property assets and making a lot of redundancies.

They're not out of the woods yet but a big launch for PS4 will help them a lot.

Thanks for that info ZT, it's great when folk back up what they state :smashin:

Any ideas as to what caused their 4 years of loss?

To many fingers in to many pies and they weren't fast to cope with the likes of the Samsung's and Apple's out there . In the last four years the only parts of Sony that made a profit was there there entertainment and insurance division strange as it is a tech company. I did read through restructuring they have since sold of most of the dead wood wood and one of those was there head office in New York that sat on prime real estate.

In addition to be a bloated multinational with too many layers of management (although Kaz has laid into that) it was ultimately about the products - particularly loss of focus on what they do well.

- Lack of focus in the TV market - hit badly by trying to cover whole market and compete with LG and Samsung especially at lower end.

- Mostly crap phones produced in JV with Motorola

- ebook reader beaten by kindle.

- Vaio's not perceived as stylish compared to Macs

- winning the Blu-Ray battle was very expensive

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom