1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The canonical blank DVD-RAM media thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by derb, Mar 30, 2003.

1. derb

derb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I am pretty close to buying a Panasonic E50 I will need to get some discs with it. So far the cheapest discs I have found - in the UK at least - are from SVP communications at £3 each inc VAT. Delivery is £1.80 for ten or £4 for courier delivery for 25. I have also read that US stores may be able to sell cheaper but I checked several including meritline, and taperesources and the prices there seemed around the same or higher. One exception leaped out however:

supermediastore is selling Optodisc DVD-RAM discs for:
    £52 (approx) for ten double sided discs with cartridge or £83 for 25 double sided discs without cartridge - £3.33 each. Alas they only ship to the US (ground shipping and tax would add $15 for a spindle of 25).

So this is the thread where people can mention any deals they find which a) ship to the UK and b) beat the price of £3 each that currently seems to be the lowest price.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Whereas you may want to buy the cheapest compatible dvd-r discs and accept the occasional coaster, surely you want better quality -ram as you will be re-using them for years to come for timeshifting and temporary storage of programs.

Bear in mind that these machines have to be able to read the disc before ejecting, so you can end up in a loop with bad media. IE can't read, therefore cant eject, recover mode , cant read etc.
    With this in mind saving of a few pence in media is a bit iffy.

Buy cheaper media recommended by others and you should be ok.

3. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    If this happens how do you eject the disc ?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can't thats the problem.

Various ideas on the http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp
    forum, mainly relating to the hs2, but the problem will be the same in all the panasonic machines.

IMO it is a very poor software design that doesnt allow an eject command before reading the media.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't buy any -RAM until you have the player

You will prob get a couple free

I bought another 8 from SVP

I have never used them

however, i have sky+ which does most of my day to day recording. I will not be using -RAM to archive until the price drops considerably

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Please post any bargain offers you find in "Special Offers", not in this forum.

Thanks.