The Cafe (Sky 1)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Courtjezter, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    I have only just caught up on watching this comedy series, that was shown on Sky 1 late last year.
    It was a very easy watch and had some very nice character development, to the point where, by the final episode i really cared about the characters. After watching the final episode of this i watched the BBC programme Lapland, and found The Cafe, whilst the subject matter wasn't the same it had some similar themes, to be far superior.

Anyway i was surprised not to see a thread about this series and wondered if anyone else watched it?

2. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,906
    I watched the first one and it just didn't grab me at all. I realise that it's a "gentle" comedy and not intended to be laugh-a-minute but, even allowing for that, it just didn't do anything to make me want to watch the second episode.

3. cdm22

cdm22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    The adverts were enough to put me off bothering! :D

4. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,089
    I watched the Cafe and enjoyed it. Its a slow burner that doesn't pick up much pace, but agree that you get to know the characters and care about them. I think it takes its influence from the Royle Family and while the laughs are few and far between, they are there and the rest of the episode raises a smile. I also like how they've made the seaside town look great and a place you wouldn't mind visiting. Could have easliy gone down the crass Amusement arcade and fair ground route.

You may want to catch Stella that started last week too. A similar vein but set in the Welsh Valleys, that had a reasonable starting episode to :smashin:

5. roxyskinflint

roxyskinflint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Mount pleasant was similar too although i actually quite enjoyed that, but along with trollied how many more UK comedys do SKY 1 need???

6. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,089
    Its good that Sky one are doing home grown TV as long as the quality doesn't spread too thin. I also like the shorts they do each christmas, a nice touch. However, mentioning Mount pleasant and you're right, the downside is they are a bit too similar. Spy was interesting, but went a bit too odd in the end.

At least they are testing the waters and I guess not all will survive to a second series. The ones that do should go from strength to strength ... maybe..