1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Butterfly Effect

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MrFurious, Jul 4, 2004.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,857
    excellent film and top class dvd,new line have produced the goods again with this dvd,the dir cut features an excellent dts soundtrack.

2. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, despite the poor reviews, the movie was excellent.

3. Mr Heckles

Mr Heckles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know where would be the best / cheapest place to get?

Wow have for £14 R1 - anywhere cheaper?

4. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,857
    yes,movietyme have it in their used section for a tenner i think,their used titles are excellent and are allways in top condition,just minus their shrinkwrap really! :smashin:

5. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dvd Soon have it for about £11.30

6. Mr Heckles

Mr Heckles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, I have never used them before are they ok (any damaged discs?) and have you ever had any probs with customs (when over £18), also how long is delivery?

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Mr Heckles, if you have never used dvdsoon before there are 2 things you should know.
    1. There prices are usually the cheapest around, you have to hunt hard to find most new releases at a cheaper prices.
    2. Their delivery is not the quickest, despite their name. But for the prices you can get discs for most people are happy to wait a few extra days. I've personally not had to wait any more than 10days(iirc) for any disc ordered from them.

8. Mr Heckles

Mr Heckles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers will try them out on next order!!

wot are they like for pre-orders (do they charge upfront) and do they get the titles in a bit earlier?

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have this yet to watch, so no spoilers please, but do you mean there are two versions of the film on one disc, and only the DC has DTS?

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    They do charge upfront, and with pre-orders its best to check the site frequently as their prices seem to change, bot up and down. As for shipping early, not really from my experience, not like MovieTyme anyway, for example Butterfly Effect which is released on the 6th(iirc) and my order status with dvdsoon is 'Packaging' which usually means it gets sent in the next day or so.

11. ian2k3

ian2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read a review saying this is a double sided disc with the theatrical cut on the single layer side and the directors cut on the dual layer side with the dts and commentary. should have been 2 disc.

12. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Yes that's right. It's DC and extras on one side and thetarical cut on the other. I, for one, think the DC is better. I was always a bit disappointed in the theatrical ending - a bit too "nice". Brilliant film though.

13. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep! great film really enjoyed it, up there with "Donnie Darko"tho watched the DTS version so if I flip is there a different ending ?

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I enjoyed BE much more then Donnie Darko. The DTS soundtrack is excellent, and I also prefer the darker ending on the Director's Cut.

15. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,857
    flip it for the hollywood cheesy ending :eek:

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    this is my favourite movie since T2 and i love the DVD. I'll admit i prefer the original ending, it just seemed to fit better, and the Oasis music playing was so perfect.

That being said, the DC ending was very clever when you think about it, and they do a good job of setting it up all through the movie.

Also, gotta love all the awful alternate endings in the deleted scenes.. lol

17. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I watched the DC version of this film for the 1st time last night(not seen the theatrical version) and i thought it was really really good. The Dts-ES soundtrack was awesome, why aren't more film like this one(sound wise)? nearly jumped out of my skin 3 or 4 times in the opening 30mins(i had it loud :D )

How different is the 'normal' version from the DC?

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Not a lot different really, there are about 5 or 6 extra scenes in the DC which all set up the ending. Without giving too much away, the extra scenes are the fortune teller, the letter in the attic, the payoff in the jail, the thugs letter reading in jail and of course the ending after he writes the letter. There may be a couple more, i can't remember.

19. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Watched 'The Butterfly Effect' (Directors cut) this evening.
    Completely taken aback. What an astonishingly good film. Up there with Donnie Darko (at least!)
    Agree with all of the above. Soundtrack is excellent. Nearly fell off the couch a few times in the opening half hour.
    If you have read all the lack lustre reviews about this film, COMPLETELY IGNORE THEM!
    I would class this as a must buy. :thumbsup:
    I guarantee you will be thinking about this films subject matter for weeks after (repeated?) viewing... :smashin:

20. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Captaindobie - couldn't agree more!!

I was recently in the states and picked this up, I had seen the posters advertising the film, but beyond that I knew next to nothing about the film, it was an impulse buy, and boy what a buy!!! I can't recommend this film enough, I watched the Directors Cut, and no film has stayed in my thoughts so long after it finished, since Donnie Darko! I intend to watch the theatrical cut, but from what I've read here the ending is not as good (hard to see how it could top that anyway). Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great film the TC cut has IMO a very poor ending which really let it down when I saw it at the cinema. However, even with the poor ending I really do not understand the very poor reviews it originally recieved.

The DC cut has a far superior ending which makes far more sense.

22. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Finally got round to buying this on R1, and watched it last night.

Gotta agree with everything thats been said on this thread - the Directors Cut is a fantastic, thought provoking film, that left me feeling much the same way I did when I saw Donnie Darko for the first time. Think I'll have a look at the Theatrical Cut in the next few days to see how that compares, but to be honest I'm not bothered if its not as good - the Directors Cut will get several repeated viewings !

Impressed with the DVD as well - its the second Infinifilm release I've bought (the other being Final Destination 2) - plenty of extras, and the awesome DTS ES soundtrack, plus the equivalent of 2 different films.

Anybody pondering the purchase of the upcoming R2 disc should do themselves a favour and plump for the R1 instead.

Ian.

23. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What will be different to the R2 version? The one on Play (here) which is released next monday seems to be the directors cut.

24. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not DTS.

25. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R2 has no reference to the theatrical version at all.Its not on the disc,and its alternate ending is nowhere to be seen on the R2 disc.The 2 alternate endings are the same as the ones on the R1,but the cinema one is completely missing.I would assume the standard INFINIFILM pop ups are absent ,but I don't know for sure.Unlike other New Line discs,the UK one is not from EIV

26. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree with all of you guys on this, this movie was soooo good, i really really loved it,like some of you have said really similar to donnie darko in some ways...
    Then i saw a review in empire giving 2 stars out of 5! i normally really respect their opions, not in this case, but then again i seem to remember giving the original matrix a low score also...

27. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    I watched the TC a while ago and really liked it so when I found out there was a DC I ordered the DVD which turned up last night, great film made even better. And the DTS is awesome on this; this really does show that rear speakers can be used for so much more.

I found that the transfer in some places was beautiful and really colourful however in other places it seemed to riddled with dancing pixels (is that artefacts)?

28. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Watched this lastnight on R2 and really enjoyed it. Found it quite draining to watch though - the first 30 mins was really jumpy and I found some of the last 20 minutes quite sad.

It didn't leave me with that sheer sense of amazement that Donnie Darko did, but I still rated it very highly.

Now, can someone point me to where can I read about the theatrical ending, as I'd love to know what happens in the original cut. Although the ending of this directors cut felt right, was glad I watched that first.

Sometimes even if they improve on the original cut with the theatrical cut it can feel "wrong" because it's different. Or is that just me.

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Thought it was quite mediocre. Not a patch on Donnie Darko IMHO.

30. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    BE is much more enjoyable than DD, in my opinion. In fact, although I enjoyed Donnie Darko, I think it's often overrated.