The Business - R2, no Pal speed up?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Red1, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Regardless of your varying opinions of this film (Danny Dyers follow up to 'The Football Factory' - just to make sure we are are talking about the right film!)

I watched the UK region 2 Pal version of this tonight, and believe me I know my music(I was a teen in the eighties, so this films music hits a chord with myself!) and pal speed up normally sticks out a mile to me - especially when music heavy based soundtracks are concerned, but all the music in this was at the right pitch/speed.

Does anyone know how this is possible?, pitch corrected?
    I know the film was shot on DV, does this affect the mastering process?

Thanks in advance to any of you knowledgable folks!!:clap:

RED1

2. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well according to IMDB, it was was shot in super 35 (35mm film at 2.35:1). So yes, it could have been pitch corrected or the DVD could have been mastered from an NTSC video transfer and will therefore have ghost frames but no PAL speedup.

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i would very much doubt it was from an ntsc master, particularly as it's a british film. this practise is rarely done these days

it could have been pitch corrected, or there is a 12/1 pulldown method that inserts an additional field every 12 frames to make 25fps thats used occaisionally

or, you're ears could be misleading you!

simplest thing to do is pull out a cd with some of the tracks and play them before and after the scenes on the dvd and you'll be able to tell then. you should be able to notice easily

btw, i saw dudley sutton on friday, the old guy in football factory (the one that lives), 73 years old doing a one man show at the festival talking about his life and the uk and stuff, very similar to his character in the movie actually, but less moany. i checked out imdb and he's been in about a million tv shows and movies from lovejoy to eastenders