1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Budget Setup Challenge

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gunizzle, Jun 6, 2005.

1. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quickfire Question

Youve Got 1800 Quid To Spend And Want A 37/42 Inch Plasma Or Lcd, Amp And Decent Sound.

What Do You Go For........................................................

Fire Away People.............

2. TonyKL

TonyKL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just gone for:

Panasonic TH-37PW7 - ~£1,000
    Stand - £125
    Pioneer VSX-402 - ~£150
    Canton CD1 Speakers - £240
    Converter and leads - ~£350 (inc. JS RGB-VGA)

Thats a little under £1,900 but you wont need all the leads I bought.

3. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate where did you get the CD1s for 250?? and the 37 PW7 for 1000???

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    jake james does the cd1's - look in the power buys section on the speakers forum

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. TonyKL

TonyKL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wish I had room for a 42" as they are not much more than the 37" atm.
    My PW7 was from Krish Av (www.krishav.co.uk) but not sure they hae any left, but richersounds (www.richersounds.co.uk) are still doing a deal at £999

As said, the Cantons are from this forum, check the powerbuy thread in the speakers section (thanks the Jake!!)

7. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    living in hertfordshire but no degree horny!!!!

The thing is once you go big, you can never go back to being small!!!!! wish that was true of most things in life!!!

8. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gunizzle, my advice would be to up the budget by £800 and get a future hd ready solution.

£1800 is still a lot of money, but it will be worth nothing in 12 months time.

I bought a pw6 6 months ago, and lost 40% in residual value due to it not being hd ready.

If i were you id go for:

samsung sp50 (dlp rear pro hdtv ready solution or pv500 37" with cabinet can be found for around £1800.

And then spend £800 on amp and speakers, richersounds do the tannoy 5.1 for £200, i got my mission 5.1 for around that. With the £600 left you could get a denon 3805 from ebay.com (b graded but guaranteed) or a top quality amp from many uk sites. Just a word of warning, but if you like to retain value on your purchases this is a must.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats rubbish almost all SD plasmas will show an HD picture, and you lost 40% due to buying electronics in a perpetually falling market, electronics dont have residual values and i guarentee comet and currys will still be stuffed full of none HD ready TV's for the next 5 years, most TV's are still not FV compatible.....

of the £1800 budget only £1300 applies to PDP so even if its sold in 12 months time i am sure a 42"/37" Panny will worth a few hundred if they arent, there will be alot of people with 42" bedroom tellies its unfortunate that you lost money on a plasma but why on earth did you sell it for an "HD ready" one when there is still very very little HD material (none main stream!!! )

10. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why on earth did i sell?? Well mr! if you read on the high definition forum you will see sky hd plan to release within 8 months, satellite hd channels like hd1 are available, and i have a huge amoun of hd demos on my htpc, and i also have dvi out on my htpc to hdmi to upscale current dvds, so the future is upon us, and if you are buying a plasma then you must want some kind of extra-ordinary viewing experience (otherwise youd just buy a standard crt) so therefore hd material must interest you. and you'll be stuck and upset when its released and you've spent all your hard earned on something thats worth close to nothing.

oh and if you look at dixons/currys/comet even they have pages devoted to high definition so that alone proves its crossover into the commercial marketplace.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Plasma! Extraordinary viewing experience! You must be kidding me. Plasma is a lifestyle product, not a high end video display. It's very hard work to make one into said display, and expensive. Owning a plasma is about saving space and having a bigger picture than the Jones next door. Good HDTV would look breathtaking on anything capable of showing it, you don't need a plasma for that. Bad HDTV with loads of dodgy compression may well be little better than the PAL TV we already have. Those huge files you've downloaded will not be representative of the real deal, unfortunately.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh gawd, another one who thinks there's going to be 300 HD channels come September ! If you're lucky you might get 3. And have you seen whats on Euro1080 and HD1 ? 99% cr@p :thumbsdow

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I did see a decent enough classical concert on euro1080 the other day whilst installing. It made a change from mountain bike racing and wet T-shirt contests, the usual fayre. Still, this is all a far cry from a budget setup. The suggestion of a PWD7, JS box and VSX402, wish I'd taken out a patent. I'm sure it was my suggestion originally! If you have a VCR you need to use a scart board instead of the JS box of course. You have a softer picture, but no probs with composite only devices. The cantons are decent enough for the money, the VSX 402 has excellent PL2 processing with TV. Go for it.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmm I'm not sure i started with the 301!!! So tim k how much are sky charging for HD on September first? How much is the hardware? thats alot of unknowns..............
    But be happy with your kit, you should never rush into anything!

15. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im happy with mine at the moment for sure, theres a lot of talk about HD im just going to wait untill it comes online till i make a decision, at the end of the day my eyes and ears are happy at the moment so a budget setup is gonna suit me fine, Tim if i could magic and extra £800 quid out of the air i wouldnt be asking about budget systems! but i see what your saying though.

16. TonyKL

TonyKL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be fair, HD did infact advise me to go the 301/502-JS route and ditch my VCR :thumbsup:
    I did some searching and chose the 402 myself because it was only £10 more than the 301 and £100 less than the 502 so a good choice inbetween.

Given that, I have learnt everything from you guys here so a big :smashin: to you all.

I have my PW7, 402 and waiting for av-sales to get my connections to me as I can't play :mad:

17. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seems like a lot of people waste unnecessary amounts of money on unusual things...

Its amazing what you can buy from ebay 2nd hand...

s/h Panny RV-31 DVD player @ £10
    s/h Panny HE-7 Surround amp @ £40
    new Panny 61EBS VCR player @ £45
    new Gale Vetro glass stand @ £55

I make that £150 all in, and a couple of Thor SCART cables for £30 the pair.

Forget the JS Box, I doubt whether 98% of users would tell the difference if it
    was a blind swap test, its all hype on a good plasma with good cabling, youre
    average consumer of which I consider myself, is probably blown away with the
    pq on most screens anyhow....

The PW7, with SCART board and wallmount were £1295 at the time...

Total, barely £1500...

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  19. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The biggest problem with teh SCART board is that without buying top quality cables, the PQ is awful!

I tried originally using a pair of 1m cables to link the NTL box to switcher then to the display and it was dire, unwatchable almost, but then bought two THOR scart cables, totalling 4.5m (a 3m and a 1.5m) and its brilliant, cant fault it...

Couldnt justify £120 on a JS box which has no noticable difference, maybe £20 quid but not the much more...maybe i tried a duff one, or maybe everyone with one is trying too hard to justify their eyesight and 'expertise' cant face up to wasting the £££'s and wants to sound like their some sort of AV wunderkind...

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmm i can only go on my experience and side by side testing

21. TonyKL

TonyKL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My issue was that the PW7 only comes with a VGA port, I could have spent £150 on a scart board from av-sales or £125 for a JS2RGB - even if the scart board is good the converter is the cheaper option (exc. VGA cable which aren't expensive).

22. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    budget setup?? £1800?? Surely thats a contradiction in terms. fine fair enough the post was started stating budget setup my argument is its a hell of a lot of moolah to be spanking out on equipment that will be outdated in months.

id still stick with a sp50 (i know its a dlp but its still very thin) for £1680 from pixmania and spend £200 on a dvd 5.1 (on a budget :p ) and be £80 over your budget budget!!

all of this budget talk, im feeling a shop at farm foods coming on.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Outdated how? even if you refer to the PDP not being "HD ready" thats only £1000 ish of budget, AMP, speakers etc make up the rest

24. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill leave you to make your own mind up, ive added my two pence worth, just be wise in shedding out your hard earned.

25. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed, if the deal for a PW7 didnt have a SCART board included, which recently is generally dropped into the deal, then yes, given a SCART connector or JS box, then it'd be a touch and go choice, and I'd more than liklely have gone with a £125 JS box

You can get used/spare SCART boards on here for around £70, so eventually my answer swings to 'no' - the SCART board is a better choice IMHO