the BT 'interactive digital' adaptor

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chrisgeary, May 14, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    i currently have a nokia mediamaster - i bought this as it was, at the time, the only freeview box to offer SPDIF digital output.

does anyone know if its scart socket outputs component? I have a feeling its RGB only, which would be ok.

anyway, my main gripe about this box is how slow it responds to channel change commands etc. it can take 1 second or 7 seconds depending on how it feels.

is the BT product, which I understand does component, any better at this, and what kind of digital output does it come with?

If it is good at channel changing, and will work in a poor signal area (we are not officially in the coverage area) - then I might consider changing it - as changing channels is really really poor.

thx
    Chris

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I believe the BT product is a rebadged Netgem I-Player which should have an optical audio output. Can't give you anything more definitive, perhaps a thread about the I-Player itself will get more response:)

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The BT box is very similar to the Netgem, they share the same case etc but the features of each are very slightly different.

The BT box includes a Caller ID capability that the I-Player doesn't have. My understanding is that the BT box has also had some of its smart card/CI hardware either disabled or just plain removed.

With regard to your query concerning Component video, I believe that the BT box can output this (the I-Player certainly can, it just needs a special SCART cable)

If you want the lowdown on either of these boxes (the I-Player was selling recently for £59 in Makro stores with a keyboard thrown in) take a wander over to the Netgem forums which can be found here

I was fortunate enough to pick one up in Makro during this promotion and I think it was the best purchase I've made to date. Combined with a USB Ethernet adaptor I can check my email and browse the net on my TV without having to fire up the laptop.

The fact that I can also stream MPEG movies to it from my laptop was also a real eye opener. Watching something on a widescreen telly with surround sound vs a laptop with a 15 inch screen - I know which I prefer :thumbsup:

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    anthony, thanks for that.

I am interested in what you think of its operation, specifically about changing channels. How long does it take between issuing the command to change, and the change happening?

thx

Chris

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I like it's operation.

Channel changing is pretty quick, I think it's around 2secs or maybe slightly less. I haven't got a stopwatch handy sadly :laugh:.

The only black mark is that at present, the Netgem EPG doesn't support anything other than now and next (even with the trial EPG available in London). When you bring it up, it has a list of the channels with the programs presently showing. You can then toggle this to a list of the next programs and that's your lot.

Hopefully with an update Netgem will rectify this,but it will involve some work on their part.

Forget the BT box if you're considering Top Up TV, I don't think it can take the necessary CAM that will be needed.