The Brothers Grimsby (4 March 2016)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Directed by Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me)

Script by Baron Cohen, Phil Johnston, Peter Baynham

Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong, Isla Fisher, Ian McShane, Rebel Wilson, Annabelle Wallis, David Harewood, Gabourey Sidibe, Johnny Vegas

Action-comedy about a British black ops spy (Strong) who is forced to go on the run and team up with his idiotic English football hooligan brother (Cohen).

Eric Idle has found a new star for the England team

oKoQABC.jpg

Red Band Teaser (NSFW)

Last edited:
Doesn't look too bad actually, might turn out to be a good combination - Louis Leterrier and Baron Cohen.

Just caught a TV spot for this movie, looks like it's release has been brought forward to Wednesday the 24th of February.

Trailers look amusing, hopefully they haven't spoilt all the best punchlines like those for Spy and this movie turns out to be as entertaining as Kingsman.

Although I'm not overly optimistic, as I see this was directed by the same guy who did Now You See Me which I thought was utterly pants.

This was freakin hilarious, absolutely loved this from start to finish. Up there with Borat and Ali G, I thought this was going to be rubbish based on the trailers but boy was I wrong.

Great performance by Mark Strong as well and surprisingly good story and theme in the film. Didn't expect that from a Sacha Cohen production.

4/5

This was freakin hilarious, absolutely loved this from start to finish. Up there with Borat and Ali G, I thought this was going to be rubbish based on the trailers but boy was I wrong.

Great performance by Mark Strong as well and surprisingly good story and theme in the film. Didn't expect that from a Sacha Cohen production.

4/5

Really?
Grimsby

1/5 from Empire, Kermode SLATED it, there was zero press screenings before the uk release (usually a bad sign).
However the audience reaction to the "elephant" scene on Jonathan Ross show was laugh a min, he also appeared as Sacha Baron Cohen on the show instead of in character as per.
Seems to be splitting opinions.

Really?
Grimsby

Kermode SLATED it,
I find he often looks for stuff the average viewer don't.
On film 2016 the opinion was split, 1 for it, 2 against.

I've been a subscriber of Empire for 8 years and stopped reading them several years ago, I truly hope everyone else has too as they adopt an incredibly bias structure and neglects anything outside their personal spectrum.

I mean did you even read the link you posted, a childish 300 words review for a British film. It's very poor for a magazine held so highly by intellects. These magazines are politically correct and would never support a film like this. As a critic you should judge films to it's merit rather than some political or personal beliefs. Just look at the language she uses.

Like Ali G, this ain't a film for everyone and that was also panned by critics back then. You just have to look at the audiences reaction in the theatre to see whether they enjoyed themselves or not. Mines was packed in hysteria.

I've been a subscriber of Empire for 8 years and stopped reading them several years ago, I truly hope everyone else has too as they adopt an incredibly bias structure and neglects anything outside their personal spectrum.

I mean did you even read the link you posted, a childish 300 words review for a British film. It's very poor for a magazine held so highly by intellects. These magazines are politically correct and would never support a film like this. As a critic you should judge films to it's merit rather than some political or personal beliefs. Just look at the language she uses.

Like Ali G, this ain't a film for everyone and that was also panned by critics back then. You just have to look at the audiences reaction in the theatre to see whether they enjoyed themselves or not. Mines was packed in hysteria.

Just because Empire said its crap, doesn't make it necessarily the case. I use reviews as a guide. However, lately I've tended to largely ignore reviews for films I'm interested in, and read them after I've seen the film to see if I agree or not. The critics usually take a highbrow mindset to certain films. For example, I remember Empire giving Liam Neeson's Taken 1/5, and whatever you think of the movie, that's ridiculously harsh. Also, critics (initially at least) fawned over Spectre and it's easily among the poorer Bond movies.

Saw it Sunday. Thrown together in a rather ramshackle manner and horribly edited but certainly not without some rather crude laughs. 6/10

Saw it last night really enjoyed it some really funny scenes will be too crude for some people 7/10

we thought this was absolutely hilarious. I've got a really bad cough at the moment and this was so funny it left me wheezing for breath almost all the way through. It's filthy, relentlessly smutty, completely inappropriate gross-out comedy that really doesn't hold back at all. It's not for everyone, but I think if you've ever liked any of SBC's previous TV shows/films/mockumentaries then there's plenty here to enjoy and get a real kick out of.
One of the most consistently funny films I've seen in a long time and with some, almost frightening ;), images that I don't think I'll ever be able to purge from my memory. Not something I'll be recommending to my mum, though :laugh:

Agree with Rambo John J "absolutley hilarious" from start to finish. Some people will hate it but others will love it.

Watched it twice now and it's still funny how they got Mark Strong to do any of that stuff is beyond me, like people say it's gross comedy but God it had me in stitches.

Sorry for the bump but just watched this myself tonight and genuinely don't think I've ever seen a funnier film in my life. 3 or 4 scenes in the film I literally couldn't breathe for laughing. Yes the story is awful but its not a film that requires your absolute attention at all times. What it is though, is comedy gold!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom