The Boys Season 2 (Amazon) TV Show Review & Comments

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Enjoying this season so far.

I had problems with Season 1 and the general 'rapeyness' of it.
It was one story line amongst a number of story lines. How about the A-train being black, a fast runner and a drug addict? All of the story lines were handled with care and realism.

The comic story line was much much worse.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
It was one story line amongst a number of story lines. How about the A-train being black, a fast runner and a drug addict? All of the story lines were handled with care and realism.
True. But it was the only plot line I felt very uncomfortable about. Especially when social media was full of people drooling over The Deep's 'bulge'.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
True. But it was the only plot line I felt very uncomfortable about. Especially when social media was full of people drooling over The Deep's 'bulge'.
Wow I did not see that lol. But then my only interactions with social media is via others reporting on it. It's bad enough on forums never mind the mess that is Twitter and Facebook or Instagram which I think should be called WAPchat.

Anyway the show is littered with uncomfortable areas and issues. Watching the walking talking stereotype in A-train was very uncomfortable but I think that's the point. So far, this show has covered hot button issues in a way which puts the "factual" media to shame.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
There were a lot more rape shenanigans. Homelander had raped Butcher's wife, The Deep bribes Annie for oral sex and Annie also stops a rape. Yeah, it all felt very rapey to me and I didn't like it.

Obviously, this is intentional as it highlights the demoralisation of 'the seven' which comes with their power.

Really like Kimiko and Stormfront though.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
There were a lot more rape shenanigans. Homelander had raped Butcher's wife, The Deep bribes Annie for oral sex and Annie also stops a rape. Yeah, it all felt very rapey to me and I didn't like it.

Obviously, this is intentional as it highlights the demoralisation of 'the seven' which comes with their power.

Really like Kimiko and Stormfront though.
Fair enough. I still not 100% sure on Homelander yet. It looks like the same thing but there's obviously something else happening as well. We'll see later.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Homelander had raped Butcher's wife,
I didn't get that at all. Maybe I'm naïve but I took that to be consensual. S2 makes it a bit ambiguous so who knows.

Fair enough with The Deep / Annie but they didn't gloss over that.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Homelander isn't physically imposing enough either. Nothing against the actor.
This version of Homelander looks like the idealised All-American man to whom many would gladly marry their daughter. At the same time, Anthony Star is producing an acting masterclass in emotional imbalance, narcissism and psychological terror. The number of reviewers that talk about how terrifying he is every time he is on screen proves that. It works for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

nugget2014

The Boys has been anything but PC so I wasn't too worried. My only concern was StormFront who was a man in the comics. But at the same time, I did see how having a woman as a straight up counterpoint to Homelander was always going to be intriguing. So far they've played it perfectly.
There was an interview with Aya Cash about her character and they noted that the first time she showed her true racist nature was when she broke the Chinese guy's hands. Totally ignoring the fact that she wiped out a whole African American family and then another random black guy before even getting to the Chinese guy. Interesting.

I'm calling it now, Homelander, A-Train and possibly Black Noir are going to team up to try and get rid of her.
Maeve also in the trailer had an altercation with her

ggwoodland

Anybody having issues with finding the 4K HDR episodes. I can find the 4K HDR version in both the ATV app and the C9 app but when you play episode 4 for example it plays the SDR version. A tad frustrating to say the least. i’ve added to my stuff the 4K HDR version and I’ll have another go tonight to play the HDR version - george

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I was late to S1, so binged it, as it was one of those shows I couldn't wait to see where it went next. S2 is the same for me and I would have binged it if the whole thing was available.

Indiana Jones

I didn't get that at all. Maybe I'm naïve but I took that to be consensual. S2 makes it a bit ambiguous so who knows.

Fair enough with The Deep / Annie but they didn't gloss over that.
After season one I too wasn’t sure but the latest episode has cleared that up.

encaser

Amazon need to get over their content warnings. It listed Strong Sexual Content but everything in it was cut for a nervous Sally Army officer for episode 4.
I've not seen so many male bottoms since all this PC madness, that seems to think they are not sexualized like women's supposedly are. Yeah, right.
Anyway, last night confirmed
the known that Butcher's wife was raped - for those that missed it. Some nice creepy moments with Doppelganger and Homelander. Only one reveal though, with our new pain in the B member of the seven. That is, if you don't count the OCD moment and missed that to.
All these comedy moments with idiot The Deep need to pay off big, or it's just a lot of wasted diversion.

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

VisionMan

Is it me or is season 2 just bizarre?

I really want Homelander to get it in the neck. Or face.

Great character writing. Gripped.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
They also seem to have a different Billy Joel song per episode too :)

piston broke

Can someone clear this up....
Black Noir sat on floor in Vought corridor watching feed on his phone. I thought he was giggling but an article I read said he was crying? He never struck me as the crying type:)

Jason56d

Can someone clear this up....
Black Noir sat on floor in Vought corridor watching feed on his phone. I thought he was giggling but an article I read said he was crying? He never struck me as the crying type:)
Yes he was defo crying for some reason. Sure we will find out very soon.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Yes he was defo crying for some reason. Sure we will find out very soon.
I'm guessing after finding out the truth behind his powers he realised that his life could have been different.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I'm a little more worried about the Stormfront/Homelander dynamic. Even Grace Randolph realises that weakening Homelander would be a bad idea. Right now I would say it is borderline. He still has control of the others plus story wise it makes sense that Stormfront has the edge given the recently revealed information about her.

At the same time, Homelander's long scene with Maeve and his facial expression when he says: "I'm very......very happy for you Maeve" shows how Anthony Star's performance is keeping Homelander in the game.