The Box Of Delights

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I know it's late and my mind is probably wandering a bit but I was just thinking about how fantastic The Box Of Delights was when I was a kid...

I haven't seen it since I was at school in the 80's but for some reason I still remember how good it was...

Has anyone seen it a bit more recently who can tell me whether it has withstood the test of time? (it may have done as it was set in the 30's).

Nobody I talk to about it remembers it...a bit like when I mention that I was scared by a programme called The Clifton House Mystery...nobody believes me that there even was a show by that name either, even my folks who sat there and watched it with me reckon I am making things up!!!

Come to think of it I remember another kids show from the 80's that was a bit creepy too, it was about a bunch of kids in the 30's or 40's who were at a big stately home and the boys wore cricket jumpers...there was a kind of ornamental pond with statues around it and they came alive, that's all I can remember about that one, maybe someone will know what I'm on about??? :lease:

Brilliant. This would be a perfect Xmas DVD release if the Beeb got their finger out.

I last watched it on tape about five years ago and it was still magical.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Just decided to look on the off chance and found this!!!

Reeeeeeeeeeesult!!!

Was it this perchance?, because I remember enjoying at a similar time as Box Of Delights.

Cold dark winter nights, coming home from school and settling down in front of the telly to watch these.............ah grand old days. :rolleyes:

No it wasn't Tom's Midnight Garden, it is older than that...but Toms Midnight Garden was awesome too! It got me thinking about some of the other cool dramas from when I was a kid...

...anyone remember The Children of Green Knowe or Moondial?

I was chuffed when The Box of Delights was released on DVD a year or so ago and I bought it immediately. I also loved it as a child and watched it with my daughter on the run up to Christmas. I'll be doing the same again this year. If you can forgive the BBC effects....think 70's/80's DR Who, then suspend disbelief and enjoy!

Decadence, the programme you're on about is on the tip of my tongue (not literally!). I'll try to dredge it up from the old brain cells and let you know....

No it wasn't that one...another good call though! I seem to remember that there were two boys and two girls, one of the girls had ringlets...ah well, never mind...

Do you reckon it is time that The Box Of Delights was remade? It would make a great mini series in the run-up to Christmas (obviously not this one), surely time to do it with today's technology, you can't fault the story can you, I am sure it would pull in the viewers!

Decadence said:
No it wasn't that one...another good call though! I seem to remember that there were two boys and two girls, one of the girls had ringlets...ah well, never mind...

Do you reckon it is time that The Box Of Delights was remade? It would make a great mini series in the run-up to Christmas (obviously not this one), surely time to do it with today's technology, you can't fault the story can you, I am sure it would pull in the viewers!

Or take the easier approach and "Do a Lucas" on it. Although I haven't seen it for probably 15 years when I was about 14ish the acting wasn't all that bad.

As good as a lavish remake would be, I think it would lose some of the magic and all the nostalgia factor.

As for the acting.....it's not the best, although Pat Troughton is always top drawer. I also think the word "scrobbled" (a word the children use to described being kidnapped or attacked) is great and should be used more in conversation.

If you've got young kids - buy it now, and watch it on the run up to Christmas. They'll love it! If you haven't got youngsters, you'll have to think of another excuse to get it!!

Every Christmas Eve a few mates come over and we watch a Christmas film before trotting off to the boozer...last year was Scrooged, this year is now The Box Of Delights...we all saw it as kids so it will be great to kick the weekend off!

Bringing back an old thread but I just remembered that since I bought this a couple of years ago I watched it both Christmas' and it has not failed to get me in the spirit...I thought it was about time to share it with you again because it is so cool and you probably forgot about it, but will remember how much you enjoyed it when you were a kid!

If you can get hold of it on DVD you won't regret it.

It's effects show the age of it but it stands the test of time very well. I replaced my VHS with the DVD sometime ago. It's great seeing Pat Troughton as another time traveller.

All the best
Bri

Happy memories of watching this the first time it was shown. And just the other day i loaned the DVD out from our local children's library for my neice to watch (honest ;)) - no rental cost either :smashin:.

Come to think of it I remember another kids show from the 80's that was a bit creepy too, it was about a bunch of kids in the 30's or 40's who were at a big stately home and the boys wore cricket jumpers...there was a kind of ornamental pond with statues around it and they came alive, that's all I can remember about that one, maybe someone will know what I'm on about??? :lease:

Decadence, were the statues dinosaurs? I can remember a kids drama in which statues of dinosaurs came alive at midnight. In one episode one of the boys hid/fell asleep inside one of the dinosaurs during the day and awoke to find it walking around :eek: scary as hell when you're a kid! :D
Can't remember what it was called, though I did find it on a retro tv site a few years ago.

another kids show from the 80's that was a bit creepy too, it was about a bunch of kids in the 30's or 40's who were at a big stately home and the boys wore cricket jumpers...there was a kind of ornamental pond with statues around it and they came alive, that's all I can remember about that one, maybe someone will know what I'm on about??? :lease:

Was it The Enchanted Castle

410qv1.jpg

Anyone who brought it at that price could be said to have scrobbled it.:D

Cheers
Bri

no really sure what you mean, sounds rude :D , are you implying people would do some kind of naughty favour to an amazon employee [-]to get it[/-] as it's so cheap :)

haha...Scrobbled...

Thread revival!

Anyone know where i can get the box of delights dvd?

It was my fav show when i was 12 :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom