Question The Box for your new TV... what do you do ?

Waynester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening 😊

got myself a new 55 inch Sony TV on Monday, I live in a flat and have NO storage for this big box, I have no loft... got the TV from Argos so it only has 12 months warranty🙄😢 I always buy my stuff from Richer Sounds normally, longer warranty etc, but nowhere had stock of this model, so for the first time ever, I had to bite the bullet and buy it...the price was too good to say no

take the box to the tip tomorrow?

just asking incase “what if” someat goes wrong within my warranty and I have no box 📦

Attachments

• 67503EA5-EED5-4F06-9318-09F3656D8DB4.jpeg
    67503EA5-EED5-4F06-9318-09F3656D8DB4.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 319
Personally I always keep the box for my tv's. Can you not store it in a family members lift or garage? If anything goes wrong, good luck packaging it up safely if you have no box

Personally I always keep the box for my tv's. Can you not store it in a family members lift or garage? If anything goes wrong, good luck packaging it up safely if you have no box

already asked family members, won’t even fit through the loft lol!

surely within 12 months warranty, you’d just need your receipt and a Sony Engineer would be sent to your home to fix?

Depends on the warranty I guess (back to base, or on site repair). In any case if you're anything like me, I tend to sell Tv's every couple of years to upgrade so like to keep the boxes

I used to keep boxes for everything, but now for something like that I just skip it. Simply can’t be arsed anymore. Only had one issue in 20 years with a tv and it was taken away and replaced with no issues about packaging

I rang Panasonic about this very issue. I was told that in the unlikely event that the TV has to be returned the engineers have a cradle to put the TVs in and there is no need to keep the box. It was, for me at leas,t impossible to keep the box for a 65'' TV anywhere in the house especially with a five year warranty.

I presume that’s the same for Sony ?

I had to bin mine (LG 65CX), as it was massive and would need an extension to house it!

My 60" plasma back in the day when the engineers came to remove it, they had a big padded zip bag thing to place it in.

if it works and has no issues that make you want to return it then dump the box, if anything goes wrong then an engineer would come and look at it anyway and take it away in their van for repair.

I have kept the box for my last and current TV. If you want to sell it then the box is a plus for shipping. I live in a flat and have mine stood on it's short side behind a bedroom door (that is dead space anyway).

Evening 😊

got myself a new 55 inch Sony TV on Monday, I live in a flat and have NO storage for this big box, I have no loft... got the TV from Argos so it only has 12 months warranty🙄😢 I always buy my stuff from Richer Sounds normally, longer warranty etc, but nowhere had stock of this model, so for the first time ever, I had to bite the bullet and buy it...the price was too good to say no

take the box to the tip tomorrow?

just asking incase “what if” someat goes wrong within my warranty and I have no box 📦
Same here - live in a flat, do have a loft space but there's no way a box for a 65" TV would fit through the hatch.

I've never kept any TV box, but have always managed to sell on or trade up without any issue. The other thing is that I'm rubbish at repacking kit unless it's really straightforward, I just can't remember where everything goes!:blush:

I think there have been Threads asking about this, but from a selling point of view i.e. 'I've sold my telly but I don't have a box to put it in, what do I do?' One suggestion was getting a cardboard bicycle box and filling it with bubble wrap:

So if your TV were to fail within the first 12 months, this might be an option?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I keep mine in the garage. IF an engineer ever needs to come and collect yours they'll either have a box or most likely just wrap it in a blanket and Chuck it in the back of their van .....I say that slightly tongue in cheek but in reality two of my last three television arrived with damage to the box so I dread to think what would happen to an unboxed one.

I’ve given the box away to a local lady whose moving house... Sony messaged me and said I don’t need it anyway... thank god!

Attachments

• D932E621-94C6-4201-80C4-F23F2DC8DF22.png
    D932E621-94C6-4201-80C4-F23F2DC8DF22.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 283
Had to dismantle a bed this morning [ bought a new one ] and underneath it was my TV box - I've kept my Sony XF9005 55" box in case it needed to be sent back for a fix but three months back I bought a HP Omen PC for my son and kept the box for the same reason - within days the PC failed [ graphics card ] - HP insisted on sending their own packaging ahead of picking it .
Think I'll give Richer Sounds a phone tomorrow to see what their strategy is .

I bought a Sony A80J this week from an independent retailer, got a 5 year warranty from Sony.

The box will be going up the tip this week.

I keep all of the boxes for my gear, OLED TV, Emotiva amps, SVS subs etc... I store them neatly in my guest bathroom in my apartment (I put boxes inside boxes to minimise the amount of space they take up), some are on the top bed bunk which nobody ever uses. I'm not going to live here forever, the boxes will make it easier when I move, and will ensure that my equipment doesn't get damaged. My old man sometimes gives me a hard time about keeping them when he comes to visit, I just tell him to shut up and mind his own business.

They actually come in handy for two warranty repairs I had this year, for my Denon X4500H AVR, and one of my 4 KEF Q50A Dolby Atmos speakers... The KEF distributor actually asked me to bring it in in the original box of I still had it.

Last edited:
Cut it half too store in the attic. Can easily be re-joined with strong tape.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom