1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bourne Supremacy

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Ed Selley, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Missus and I went to see this yesterday and aside from having an altercation with a baseball cap'd d*ckhead with a laser pointer (sorted during the trailers thankfully) I enjoyed this. Good pace, a plot that wasn't truly moronic and a superb car chase (with very little placeable CGI). One of the better films I've seen this this summer. 8/10.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Agree with you Tons. Great film, cracking car chase! As I mentioned in another (short) thread, we found the slightly jerky camera pans/closeups in many scenes was a bit distracting/tiring. You notice this too? I can't help thinking it's to try to have the audience feel sympathy with Jason as he tries to piece together his fragmented memory.....???

Must have been lucky with my cinema visit in Reading: no trouble with any other punters, but the popcorn was crap! :laugh:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I watched The Bourne Identity on Saturday (the original) and thought it was the biggest pile of crap I've seen it months. Presumably it's an improvement on that?

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I though the mini series was far better and kept more to the spirit of the book I’m hoping this film will redress some of the liberties taken with the first film.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loved Bourne Identity GREAT film off to watch the sequel on Tuesday

More of the same please :)

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    I put this down to everything being filmed like a pop video these days. I only found it truly distracting for some very short periods.

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Saw it on Saturday & thought it was great, although slightly spoiled by the super fast camera pans & editing as has already been said. Definitely Matt Damon's finest moment so far, and I like where they're going with the slightly grittier attitude of the character.

8. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

a bourne mini series...? never heard of it and i loved both movies so far, when was it out and where..?

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    the camera work was awful......

10. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i liked the camera work, guess its a personal taste thing, but i thought it made it slightly more real, the steady cam / handy cam type look...

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I saw it when BSB was just starting out, for some info go here.
    Now this is the sort of thing ITV should be transmitting.

12. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Saw it last night film was good couldn't stand some of the camera work though, almost gave me a head ache

13. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate! i'll have to see if i can find it on dvd...

14. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have a big problem with the new films and think it is a hangover from the books. Ludlums books were set in the 70's (if I remember correctly?) and the films are set in the present, which brings in a lot more technology than Ludlum even knew about, so:

With Jason Bourne running around everywhere, supposedly in hiding from the CIA, why the hell doesn't he try to disguise his appearance? :lease:

As in Enemy of the State, the CIA in both Bourne films have access to every single CCTV camera around and are searching everywhere for him. And being a top-drawer spy, he knows this. But he just goes about his business in plain view, never trying to hide his face. Not even with a bleedin hat! I'm not asking him to be The Jackal, but a different coat might be a good start, mate.......******! :suicide:

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We wathced it yesterday, Diane came out with strained eyes, to much editing. It was like a pop video. I can't say i knew anything of the books, so maybe the second film was more faithfull i dont know. But we were dissapointed

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I do not think it is quite as simple as that, for a start off the sats in Enemy of the State where wrong, they are in fixed orbit and only pass over an area, they cannot be moved round backwards and forwards.
    If you read the book you see why I said the Bourne Identity different it has elements taken from it an that’s it e.g. amnesia and being tracked down.

17. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Garret - I agree with you that, while the first obviously followed the basic story of the book, to make a film with the amount of detail and characters as in the book would be almost impossible and certainly wouldn't be a Hollywood hit (it would probably have to be about 6 hours long!)

I think The...Identity was a good summation of the important points in the book. Before this I really didn't like Matt Damon - I always thought he was a bit of a bland actor but, as a character who has lost his identity and has to 'find himself' i think he was perfectly cast and fitted the bill.

Nobber - agreed - in Enemy of the State the CIA do have access to every CCTV. Of course EotS is based solely in the US - therefore could the Bourne films portray a more [Hollywood] realistic version of the CIA - limited by foreign policy and their attempts not to reveal themselves...? Possibly the only hard evidence they could rely upon to source Bourne's location would be plane/train bookings (which he had covered, lol). (Any CIA members - feel free to jump in and correct me). As for Bourne attempting to disguise himself...I agree with you partially, although he was trained as an assasin (designed not to be seen in the first place) rather than a spy.

Sorry - this turned into a pretty long post :rolleyes:

Matt

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Is this for real or just in the movie or just the normal US BS?

I have never been convinced that characters like Bourne really exist.

The Yanks recent record involving their supposed spys, special forces, armed forces isnt that great!

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Hi Matt wouldn’t you agree:

The big thing they altered from the book to the film (which I do not want to give away in case they use it in the latest film or anyone read the book), but just to say a main character was missing and Bourne’s real identity was altered, both I think they could have covered in the first film.

20. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Garrett,

Definately, definately agree about a certain main character, although they probably couldn't have used THE one from the book due to the two different eras in which the book and film are set (I really hope I've got the right end of the stick ! :blush: ).

It has been a while since I read the book - please PM me and remind me about Bourne's real identity (do I remember rightly that it's closely linked with the above character?)

Thanks,

Matt

21. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Obviously I mean the character in the movies. Filmmakers take all kinds of liberties in the making of films, including making up characters and taking liberties with technology and it's use/availablility.

BUT Bourne just missions around with his face in full view. If we can see the CIA team using every CCTV camera in Europe (whether this is really possible in real life is irrelevant), then Bourne should "wake up and smell the coffee" too. Even discounting the occasion when he uses his own passport in Supremacy, he's too easily found IMO.

22. JamesPA

JamesPA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen Supremacy at the cinema with my other half and we both thought it was terrific. We both loved Identity too - you should see that first to enjoy Supremacy at its best.

Anyone else think they kind of cherry-picked a bit when making Supremacy? I mean, they took the great car chases from the first film and made them longer and more spectacular, at the price of reducing the plot a bit? That's a minor niggle really as it's the best action film I've seen this year.

Cheers,
    James

23. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    watched this last night with the wife and we both loved it,thought the acting was top notch and it was a relief to not watch a movie with over the top cgi stunts and impossible feats!!!!the car crashes were great and you felt you were in the car with him during some of the chases,good to see matt damon doing some of his own stunts,especially when the car gets smashed up!
    felt sorry for him too with the start of the film and the way he losses his love interest

24. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    Just gotten back from seeing it today. It was quite a well paced action/Thriller, something we don't get enough off these days and certainly superior to any recent Bond efforts. The camera work did annoy on a few occasions as did the pillock who kept talking to his wife and crunching his popcorn to loudly and then kicking the back of my seat, he won't do that again though;)
    7 out of 10.

25. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also liked it, with the exception of the camera work at times. Great action, good acting and not boring at all.

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought it was nicely paced with a decent plot and story...and for once this summer, the acting really was up to standard...however, it certainly will not be winning any oscars for best editing!! :rolleyes:

27. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    slight spoiler bit

Well I liked BI and I liked this too. The car chase cutting s obviously done to make you think of he pace and speed but its very distracting as it goes on for too long. I thought the end could've been covered more and less of the car chase.....it was great though.

I suspect the reason Bourne doesn't hide s because he knows he's better than them....remember they even think he was their best asset.....and he shows it to start with the phone call when they are tracing his position (which he obviosly knows) and at the end of it he basically tells them where he is! made me laugh out loud! Bourne is DA MAN.

28. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I did enjoy both films, but found particulalrly in "Supremacy" that the director had no idea how to film a fight sequence.

Whats the point of getting a credible fight choreographed with legitimate techniques, then film it using the the "Noah and Nelly" wobbly school of movie shooting!

Rapid editing is the bane of contemporary film making.

29. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Identity was good this latest one should be renamed "The Boring Supremacy"...it was predictable, rambling, jerky, formulaic, almost plot-less...the car chases were good but you could see the choreography of the sequences a mile off, they didn't flow well at all...it was a rubbish film...on a crapness par with The Village...