The Board Shooter: A New Concept Just for VR

hklaveness

Novice Member
Hi,

I suppose I should introduce myself since I'm new here. I'm a part time indie developer from Norway, and since this seems like a thriving community of VR enthusiasts, I hope to find some good discussions on how we construct good virtual environments.

We are currently working on a new game concept. The basic idea is that of a board game in VR where you can control the pieces in first person as well. You normally see the board from above, where you throw the dice, move your pieces and draw your cards, but if you choose to enter one of the pieces the world scale changes and your room scale now corresponds to the square on the board at 20x magnification. In this mode you can throw rocks to stun and kill your opponents, shoot guns, use a bow and arrow, set explosive charges, etc. I guess in a way you could also say it's a first person action game where you use board game mechanics for locomotion.

I'm curious what you think of this and how you would like to see such ideas put to use.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Sounds interesting. Boardgames translate well to pc imo and throw in a little action too.......

hklaveness

Novice Member

I have to admit that I haven't played around with Tabletop Simulator (like I should), but I think board games are especially well suited for VR, given the physicality of manipulating small objects in room scale. I have written quite a bit on the thoughts that went into the conceptualization and design, but I obviously can't link that here :-/

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom