The Bluray title you consider the best upgrade over DVD

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much 'as title', what is the Bluray movie you consider the most significant upgrade over the DVD version you own/owned ? :)

Not really looking for best PQ or best SQ recommendations, just the biggest/best upgrade :smashin:

For me there is only one title out of my 80+ BD collection (although some of which I have never owned or seen the DVD) :) .. it is The Doors, having owned the PAL non anamorphic DVD with standard Dolby Digital 5.1 .. the Bluray is my best upgrade :smashin: with much improved picture quality over the rather poor DVD transfer, a far better special features selection and a DTSHDMA track that is more detailed during the many music scenes :)

Paul

i would say Pixar's CARS for me! the opening scene is just awesome when he's coming out of the trailer before the race...
mind you, i only have 11bluray titles compared to you..

Transformers, I've only got a 5.1 amp & no HD audio but the picture quality is awesome:thumbsup:.

ZULU
Without a doubt the best it's ever looked.

That's not saying there are not better looking BD films around but this is the best upgrade over DVD I've ever seen.

I was truly impressed.

Blade Runner. It's like someone's wiped a layer of crap off the screen.

Enter the Dragon was a huge improvement over and DVD I've ever seen of it.

how the west was won stunning on bu

This film has to be experienced rather than just watched and that's finally possible with Blu-ray and an HD projector. I loved this film when I first saw it on the big screen, but on television or SD I couldn't quite get into it. Since I've got it on Blu-ray I've watched the film three times in six months.

also:

Black Narcissus
The James Bond Collection (the two oldest films, Dr No and From Russia With Love look expecially stunning)
Blade Runner
Close Encounters
Mad Max 2
Halloween

Last edited:
Superman Returns for me, the re-issue.

Stunning picture and the PCM track is just crazy :eek:

That Baraka looks interesting, might have to take a look :)

The Fifth Element.
Wow. Picture and sound is amazing. Compared to the SD it's super sharp, more colourful, there's so much depth and the PCM audio sends a tingle down the spine. Sure there are one or two shots which are grainy and/or soft but that's probably a lot to do with the original cinematography than anything else.
It's a great example where you could put on the SD then the HD and convert a non-believer.

I agree with the statement about Cars too. To me it's 'the' best animated CGI film I've seen on Blu-Ray (and yes I have seen Wall.E), the race sequences alone are breathtaking and the PCM audio on that (I have the region A disc) commands your attention from it's razor sharp clarity and precision.

Any of the Pixar films
Blade Runner
I, Robot
Any of the Pirates of the Caribbean films
Transformers
Starship Troopers

Pretty much 'as title', what is the Bluray movie you consider the most significant upgrade over the DVD version you own/owned ? :)

Not really looking for best PQ or best SQ recommendations, just the biggest/best upgrade :smashin:

For me there is only one title out of my 80+ BD collection (although some of which I have never owned or seen the DVD) :) .. it is The Doors, having owned the PAL non anamorphic DVD with standard Dolby Digital 5.1 .. the Bluray is my best upgrade :smashin: with much improved picture quality over the rather poor DVD transfer, a far better special features selection and a DTSHDMA track that is more detailed during the many music scenes :)

Paul

Thinking off the top of my head I would have to say, There Will Be Blood or Zodiac. PQ on both are far better than their DVD's. There Will Be Blood is light on extras and Zodiac Dir Cut is loaded with them. On that alone I would say Zodiac.

I'm pleased to hear that The Doors looks good on Blu Ray. I have the Region 2 SE 5.1 and thought of getting the Region 1 DTS DVD when it came out, but I found the R2 5.1 to be decent and the R1 was always too high in price. I might just pick up the Blu Ray now.

Die Hard is my favourite upgrade. The Blu mightn't be demo material but it looks so much better than the DVD, with much finer detail, far better colour balance and slightly opened up framing too. Lovely.

After that is Dr. No, which looks absolutely astonishing. It's easily the best catalogue remaster I've ever seen in HD, but Die Hard is my favourite film so it gets the #1 vote. :D

Blade Runner looks great, but the contrast boosting robs the Final Cut of a bit of subtlety. It didn't look as green when I saw it at the IMAX in Waterloo, either.

Last edited:
Blade Runner and The Searchers for me. 2001 and Bonnie & Clyde also looked pretty incredible too, given their age.

I'm pleased to hear that The Doors looks good on Blu Ray. I have the Region 2 SE 5.1 and thought of getting the Region 1 DTS DVD when it came out, but I found the R2 5.1 to be decent and the R1 was always too high in price. I might just pick up the Blu Ray now.

Yes I am very impressed with the Doors Bluray, it is one of them films that I can watch over and over especially if you like the music :smashin:

Has to be for mt The Descent,massive upgrade both visual and sonically and makes the film even more scary.:eek:

I have to say;

Cars,
The Descent,
Halloween,
The Orphanage,

Cliose Encounters.
Every Blu Ray should be as comprehensive IMO.
Having said that, it's my only double dip. And I have no intention of replacing any more SD's unless they offer the same sort of difference.

Has to be for mt The Descent,massive upgrade both visual and sonically and makes the film even more scary.:eek:

I thought the DVD was excellent so the BD must be very impressive then. Another one I just thought of is Iron Man. The DVD was very disappointing and the BD is a big improvement.

I watched A Few Good Men on Blu Ray at the weekend and that looked very good and was a huge improvement over the DVD. Having said that the DVD was one of the earliest releases on that format so probably wasn't a top notch transfer even for DVD.

2001: A Space Odyssey methinks but I'm hoping Casablanca will prove a worthy upgrade when I can justify splashing out for it :)

It's mostly older titles such as '2001', 'Blade Runner', 'The Searchers', 'Home Alone' and 'Close Encounters' that offer the biggest leap over their DVD counterparts, most likely because they were remastered for their BD debuts. Having said that, there are plenty of more recent films which look far superior on BD than on DVD. 'Apocalypto', 'Transformers' and 'Zodiac' spring to mind.

There is even improvement on BD over even the best DVD transfers. 'I, Robot' easily ranks amongst the best DVD transfers and soundtracks I've ever seen and heard and yet the Blu-ray is still a worthwhile upgrade for both picture and sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom