1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Blues Brothers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by adrianvassallo, Jul 14, 2004.

1. adrianvassallo

adrianvassallo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in buying The Blues Brothers on DVD. Currently I know of two versions : one a double disc containing Blues Brothers 2000 and a single disc shown in this link : http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=89650&p=57&c=&g=72

I am interested most in the single disc as it is cheaper and I am not keen in having Blues Brothers 2000 in my collection.

I have seen reviews of the double disc stating the video is anamorphic and the length is about 142 mins. (the director's cut) but I could not find a review for the single disc which several online retailers state as being only 127 mins. long and no mention of it being anamorphic is made.

Does anyone has a copy of this DVD and can tell me if it is the longer cut and if it is anamophic?

Thanks and regards.

Adrian

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm not sure the longer version is actually a 'Director's Cut' - It is just padding and drags a bit. I would search out the dts version from the US.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The transfer on the R2 double disk is really superb, both sound and video. I don't know about the other versions but I would't assume they are as good. The extra bits worked for me.

4. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 2 disc BB & BB2000.
    I must admit that I didn't realise till now that it was longer than the one I had taped on vhs, although I had thought to myself that some parts had bits I didn't remember :blush: , but I don't think the extra stuff really adds that much to the film (Although I've just started watching it again to check). I think your right that the single disc isn't anamorphic.

I think it comes down to how much extra you have to pay for the double disc. I loved the Blues Brothers, but I hadn't seen the 2000 version until I bought this DVD. I really wanted to like it, but it really is c*** (only got about 2/3rds way though and not bothered to watch rest of it since). So probably OK for a pound or two extra over the single disc BB only if you really want extra footage & anamorphic, but not much more. ;)

5. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just watched it again and the extra bits actually do help make sense of some bits that didn't quite make it before (eg: Cheese whip). So it probably is worth getting this version & use BB2000 as a beer mat :laugh:

Check out http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk for best price on the two discs.
    According to them, Power Play Direct have it for £ 8.99, not sure about delivery to Malta.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Saw the 2 discer in HMV reduced to £9.99 and the single disc at £15.99. Hmm... Decisions, decisions... ;)

7. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    FYI, the long version of The Blues Brothers is the only version that's ever been released on dvd.

The 2 disc BB/BB2000 (R2) usually turns up in the high street sales for about £7.99 or less. Virgin had in their last '5 for £30' sale.

BB2000 is a stupid flick, but it has some great music in it. :)