The Blu-Ray ripping guide for Media Streamers

Right folks, I've posted the first part of the ripping guide in a new thread. There's lots more to add, but I thought I'd post it as I write it :)

Which can be found here;)

Tried a demo of the latest DVDFab10 a month or so. Picked out a couple of DVD's and blurays and was able to generate MKV's and M2TS files that play perfectly on my Oppo 203 with full Atmos or DTS:X. I didn't get around to trying HEVC 265 recoding to see if I could shrink the files with no perceptible loss in quality but the ease of use and experience overall was good enough to have me keep an eye out on the bargain offers on a lifetime all-in-one subscription. Their (Fengtao) pricing is mad. One day it's sky high, the next it's cheap. I've even heard rumour that they give a limited amount away once in a blue moon. Very strange business.

Tried a demo of the latest DVDFab10 a month or so. Picked out a couple of DVD's and blurays and was able to generate MKV's and M2TS files that play perfectly on my Oppo 203 with full Atmos or DTS:X. I didn't get around to trying HEVC 265 recoding to see if I could shrink the files with no perceptible loss in quality but the ease of use and experience overall was good enough to have me keep an eye out on the bargain offers on a lifetime all-in-one subscription. Their (Fengtao) pricing is mad. One day it's sky high, the next it's cheap. I've even heard rumour that they give a limited amount away once in a blue moon. Very strange business.

If you just want to rip blurays, MakeMKV has been in beta forever and is free while in beta...

I tried both MKV and handbrake but on my old PC they are painfully slow. I don't know what magic DVDFab10 is doing but it is very speedy at backing up my movies to lossless m2ts or MKV so that's the one I will likely be going with. It also has an extremely fuss free point and click interface that requires minimal tinkering to do what I want which is namely give me the movie and best quality english surround soundtrack and no extraneous subtitles so I can simply select it and play the movie without all the menu and trailer extraneous baggage.

I see Fengtao have updated their UHD PC/MAC movie player to support playback of decrypted UHD movies. Only a matter of time now I reckon before the ripper has the code to actually make them.

The World’s Best 4K UHD Player

Tried a demo of the latest DVDFab10 a month or so. Picked out a couple of DVD's and blurays and was able to generate MKV's and M2TS files
I use makemkv at the moment but getting interested in full rips. How useable is the product, I mean is it just one button backup?

Presumably it creates a directory structure of M2TS files that you have to navigate through, unlike mkv where there is just one file to click?

I use makemkv at the moment but getting interested in full rips. How useable is the product, I mean is it just one button backup?

Presumably it creates a directory structure of M2TS files that you have to navigate through, unlike mkv where there is just one file to click?
You get a single MKV file or m2ts file of the whole movie once you set the output path and pick your desired soundtrack and subtitle options. You can download and evaluate free for a month with the only caveat bring it will generate a big DVDFab logo top left on everything you rip in the trial version. I saw enough to make me want the full version but I am not in a tearing hurry to buy until UHD ripping is supported.

Hi everyone
Would appreciate any advice on the following. I currently run a Plex media server from a hp n54 proliant server. I was hoping for some advice regarding:

1) what is the current recommend hardware for ripping blurays? Internal or external is fine - will do this on my main windows pc.
2) I am wanting to have the highest quality rips - e.g. lossless picture / audio. Will all rips work ok via Plex or will I run into encryption problems?
3) what do people do regarding backing up their movie database? I've seen some people have 10tb+ - do you back all of this up or just rely on a RAID setup providing a degree of backup locally?

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone
Would appreciate any advice on the following. I currently run a Plex media server from a hp n54 proliant server. I was hoping for some advice regarding:

1) what is the current recommend hardware for ripping blurays? Internal or external is fine - will do this on my main windows pc.
2) I am wanting to have the highest quality rips - e.g. lossless picture / audio. Will all rips work ok via Plex or will I run into encryption problems?
3) what do people do regarding backing up their movie database? I've seen some people have 10tb+ - do you back all of this up or just rely on a RAID setup providing a degree of backup locally?

Thanks!!!
I'm very interested in this as well.

1) I have a plextor external USB blu-ray drive that I plug into my laptop - works very well. Also have a blu-ray drive in my main PC (Ubuntu + VirtualBox) which also works, so I can rip 2 disks at the same time.

2) foxy for me. Perfect with my Popcorn Hour, don't know about Plex.

3) I've got 7 x 2TB drives in a Synology DS1010+ & an expansion box, currently using 5 x 2TB drives as an 8TB raid 5 array, plus one drive as hot standby and one spare for expansion. Have room for another 3 x 2TB drives, but I'll always want to have one on hot standby, so max capacity of 16, which I reckon will do me! All my movies are uncompressed, and I might get a blu-ray writer to back some of the least watched movies off in a compressed format if I need to make more space in the future.

Backing up that sort of data volume to the cloud is clearly impractical, at least at the moment. Maybe once we get FTTP and cloud storage get much cheaper!

Last edited:
Quick ripping question. How does one preserve the English subtitles on a movie like Fellowship of the Ring. Any of the scenes in Elvish with English subs. You don't have to activate subs to see these. I ripped this quite recently and noticed that these subs are missing.

Quick ripping question. How does one preserve the English subtitles on a movie like Fellowship of the Ring. Any of the scenes in Elvish with English subs. You don't have to activate subs to see these. I ripped this quite recently and noticed that these subs are missing.
Include all Forced English subs when ripping

Any recommendations for a bd rom player please for Mac? Have finished my DVD’s and now thinking about my BluRays

Include all Forced English subs when ripping
New to subs ripping. Apologies. How do you tell the difference between a forced and unforced subtitle?

It says Forced in the description. What ripping software are using?
I have used DVDFab, Makemkv and TSmuxer at various stages. Havn't really established a regimen yet.

I have used DVDFab, Makemkv and TSmuxer at various stages. Havn't really established a regimen yet.
Different methods then.

MakeMKV - expand the title to see the entire content. Tick just the Forced English subtitles - sometimes there are more than one, so tick them all.

DVDFab - on the content bar where it displays the video and audio format, you should click on English on the right hand side, then click Forced Subtitles only (or something like that), and make sure just Forced English subtitles is selected.

Not familiar with TSMuxer I'm afraid.

I only recently switched to favouring mkv over m2ts. My PC is an old beast running Vista. I use AnyDVDHD to make a temporary local folder de-protected clone of the disc, and then MakeMKV to process the main title from that into an mkv. My machine seems to be less stressed doing it that way. I'll look out for the forced English subs info on MakeMKV.

I only recently switched to favouring mkv over m2ts. My PC is an old beast running Vista. I use AnyDVDHD to make a temporary local folder de-protected clone of the disc, and then MakeMKV to process the main title from that into an mkv. My machine seems to be less stressed doing it that way. I'll look out for the forced English subs info on MakeMKV.
Why not just use MakeMKV to rip the disc, no need for AnyDVDHD.

What's the best/easiest way to play Movie ISO's these days ?

Why not just use MakeMKV to rip the disc, no need for AnyDVDHD.
Something about my PC makes it slow to rip directly with MakeMKV. I can create the folder image and then convert that quicker than doing it directly from disc.

How much RAM does it have? That's the only thing I can think of.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom