• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Blu-ray Revolution has started

Mike Brown

Standard Member
The Blu-ray website has been recently re-launched:
http://www.blurayrevolution.co.uk

The aim of the re-launch is to make Blu-ray Revolution the one-stop-shop for information and advice about Blu-ray. The new site is a collective venture between hardware manufacturers, film studios and distributors supporting the Blu-ray format.

It has video content and interactive features that show you what Blu-ray is all about and how you can get the best out of your equipment

We want to know what you think!

Give us your own review of the Blu-ray site along with the answer to the following question and you will be entered in a prize draw to win a selection of the current top new Blu-ray releases:

Name the three films used as examples in the Best Picture Interactive Example section Bluray Revolution | Explore

The competition has now ended. Thank you for your reviews - a winner will be announced shortly

Last edited:
The Blu-ray website has been recently re-launched:
http://www.blurayrevolution.co.uk

The aim of the re-launch is to make Blu-ray Revolution the one-stop-shop for information and advice about Blu-ray. The new site is a collective venture between hardware manufacturers, film studios and distributors supporting the Blu-ray format.

It has video content and interactive features that show you what Blu-ray is all about and how you can get the best out of your equipment

We want to know what you think!

Give us your own review of the Blu-ray site along with the answer to the following question and you will be entered in a prize draw to win a selection of the current top new Blu-ray releases:

Name the three films used as examples in the Best Picture Interactive Example section Bluray Revolution | Explore
Mike, I was just looking at the Interactive simulation showing the difference between BD and DVD:

Bluray Revolution | Explore

The site is being much too kind to DVD! The standard of quality on DVD is abysmal compared to what the format is actually capable of. If you want to paint a truer picture with the simulation, I think you should add compression artifacts and big ugly ringing to the DVD images. That would make them closer to the sad reality of the format!

Fen Star

Prominent Member
Have to say pretty impressed with your site it looks very clean and crisp if you know what i mean....:smashin:

Chester

Prominent Member
Hi Mike,

To modify a well known phrase from one of the best known action films, "Say, that's a nice website!"

Clicking the link from AVForum's home page, my 14.5Mb/sec broadband connection got stuck straight into the action and displayed the intro video pretty much instantly. So off-peak bandwidth demand is great. Would love to know what it's like on lesser equipped computers with only 2Mb broadband (oh there's another political topic! ;) ).

The site's well designed and intuitive to navigate, explosive in content and colour. It's responsive too. Thumbs up from that point of view.

I know it's very much early days yet, but what I'd like to see is some information about how to get started, and a little more emphasis on the greater impact sound has over DVD. Close to the top of the home page, apparently 'Maximum Hi-Def Experience' consists of a HD-Ready TV, a Blu-ray player and a Blu-ray disc, when we really all know that's not true.

So how about at some point introducing a page with animated illustrations of how consumers can have this experience in their homes? Just a really broad over-view of the components (player, receiver, speakers, display), some photos or video clips of home cinemas in flight from a humble lounge to dedicated home cinema conversions. Also maybe some short clips of interviews from the general public, those who have experienced the improvements and can genuinely get their feelings across on the improved experience. Nothing like hearing positive remarks from end users to sell products like blu-ray!

In summary, it's a fantastic start, and I'll definitely be revisiting the site. With a bit more information to make it a little clearer for the public to get the blu-ray experience in their homes, it'll be a thoroughly recommended starting point from me for anyone I know that's interested.

Oh, how about links to AVForums for those who want to get really in-depth with the technology and discussion?!!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi Mike,

Clicking the link from AVForum's home page, my 14.5Mb/sec broadband connection got stuck straight into the action and displayed the intro video pretty much instantly. So off-peak bandwidth demand is great. Would love to know what it's like on lesser equipped computers with only 2Mb broadband (oh there's another political topic! ;) ).

I can answer that. Out in the country where I have to use a team of hamsters running furiously night and day on their little treadmills powering the internets to my home, they just about manage 2MB on a good day. Although you have to treat them right otherwise they only do 1.5mb.

Anyway, I digress. On a 2mb connection, it takes about 5 seconds and then starts playing the video. Perfectly acceptable in my book.

Hamsters. :smashin:

superted2day

Established Member
Hi Mike,

couple of pointers/ideas:
1. it needs to say that the password, when registering, must be made up of letters and numbers.
2. And when explaining the difference between dvd and blu-ray i think you should definiately be talking about the coatingfinish of the bd to make them more durable and less likely to become scratched and unplayable as i know that is also a big selling point.
3. the PS3 games used in the example are not great (old and mediocre graphics), particularly the basketball, warhawk and imo R&C, (not to say they're not good games) KZ2 would be a very good example to use and it's current! :clap:

overall the website looks good, the video loaded instantly for me, really like the interactive examples in the 'Exploring Blu-Ray' section

oh the answers are cars, iron man and Pathfinder! Hope i win! :D

Thanks!

Last edited:

Earlyflash

Prominent Member
Worth mentioning in the faq section, that most Blu-Ray players aren't region-free for DVD, whereas most DVD players these days are region free.

Also worth mentioning the region A/B for br? I don't thikn that I saw that?

SuZee

Established Member
This is from a relatively new fan of all things HD, AV & Blu-ray:

I like the site, very much. I take it as it is being re-launched, there will be expanding on the content in months to come. As a person who got stung by the HD-DVD bug that flashed in and out, I have been taking baby steps when it comes to this new media type.

Navigating around the site was really simple - and I actually wanted to click on all the tabs to see what else I can discover about Blu-ray. After using the AVforums site and reading various threads by enthusiasts, I take it the Hardware site will be expanded - especially on the TV side and the Manufacturers and Models available. This will be great if you are going forward for the 'one-stop shop' experience.

Under you FAQ's - the starter questions are ok, but feel a getting started section would be useful. I would love to see more about the multi-regioning of BD Titles too - Maybe an updated list of titles that can be played on UK machines regardless of their ABC coding?

Love the shopping side to this site (what woman doesen't!) Your links to Play, Amazon et al ... will that be expanded too? Like how it links to the sites in a separate window. Will it be restricted to recent titles only?

That's it for now. Basically I like what I see very much. I've joined your club and will look forward to my monthly newsletters with interest. As I said, I've only just jumped onto the bandwagon and my BD collection is small. Hoping to increase as the months go on! :D

In answer to your question, the 3 Films in Interactive are Cars, Iron Man and Pathfinder

You've been Bookmarked!!! :clap:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
hello there,

answer to the your question:Cars, Iron Man and Pathfinder

my review.

Positive

Home Page

First opening up the site, the use of Blue was very vivid and eye catching.

The various sections are easily separated and it was very easy navigating around the site, once you were in. you immediately jump to any information you are interested in accessing.

what is blu-ray really interactive works really well and holds your interest while you access the various elements of what makes blu-ray tick, it grabs your attention when first entering the site which i think is important to get you interested in the site and keep you there.

the use of images and advertising recent films due for release on blu-ray also works well, as well as offering links to further information about a particular film.

there is a competition and details on how to become a member and receive the newsletter.

overall the homepage works well, has all the relevant information that would interest potential customers seeking out information or wanting a one-stop shop for all things blu-ray.

things that can be improved (home page)

more up to date examples of the gaming aspect of blu-ray disks/user reviews of BD games/links to reviews/links to websites selling games.

Exploring Blu-ray

Interactive section is interesting for people asking..what is the difference in terms of picture quality between blu-ray and dvd..the drag me examples between blu-ray and dvd works well.

what can be improved?

some repetition from the home page (exploring blu-ray picture and sound)

more features and detail required

Hardware

this offers basic information about hd read tvs/BD players/ps3 and PC with specifications for each and links to the manufacturers site.

what can be improved?

so much more can be done on this section, and i think alot of people would like to see links to magazine reviews (as they can conduct tests that we at home can't..and more importantly user reviews from regular joe's who actually own the hardware being displayed, some price guidance might be worthwhile to just as an approximation of costs.

someone needs to check the links to manufactureres sites as a lot didnt work at all.

Blue ray titles

i liked this section as it showed previews for most blu-ray titles i clicked on, which is what is required.

im assuming that it will include all releases in our zone region b currently available (a banner stating this would be good) also additonal region code information in general..as well as some information on films that are region free and will play on region b machines

if this is not viable, as you are concentrating on region b only (and dont want to enter the politics of multi region machines or films) then at least links as to were this information can be found.

News

Someone needs to sort this page out as the text was overlapping, and it was tricky to access the links..once there though, the information that was offered was just seemed just like a basic press release.

there definately needs more in depth information and reviews again (if available).

FAQ

basic information, that im sure will grow, but it is important that these questions are reviewed and the same old questions dont stay up there for eternity, you need to listen to your members and if there is a common theme, you need to update the question and find the answers.

conclusion

The site itself seems to be suffering from many teething problems at the moment and is more style than substance.

if it wants to be a one stop shop for all things blu-ray..there needs to be far more information/user reviews/magazine reviews/ a members forum...links to other websites were relevant.

although pretty, it seems it is aimed at someone who doesnt know anything about blu-ray..on that level it works well...but we also need to cater for people who already have the hardware and want more in depth information and detail.

all in all .. for the blu-ray novice a thumbs up ..for everyone else id say..watch this space, and hopefully the improvements suggested will make it the website!

Last edited:

TheForge

Established Member
In the voice of Skipper (The Kirk sounding Penguin from Madagascar)

Well boys, I believe I smell something Fishy and it aint the Fish!

Who are you Mike Brown and who do you work for?

The website is registered to Twentieth Century Fox! or is it?:confused:

Who is Greenroom Digital? From what I can tell they are Viral advertisers but handle all the information collected by your website!

Why is there no contact information on your website?

I find the site VERY suspect, it lacks any real content, it lacks any real information to do with High Definition.

The so called "Widget" you install onto your PC to get instant updates on new releases seems EXTREMLEY dodgy to me.

Why would you need instant notification? whats wrong with Email, News Letters?

I suspect the site is just a front, it has no intention of being Informative, only Advertise through that Widget thing!

I have actually read more about Blu-Ray and HD on the stickers stuck to the front of TVs in Comet that this site offers!

I would expect something far better from a colloboration of so many top level companies!

Can somone from AVForums look into this?

If im wrong then im sorry but something doesnt seem right here!

The Forge

rubenm

Established Member
one extra, not easy to achieve, is in the movies add the extras it as, also languages and subtitles very important last one

Mike Brown

Standard Member
Hey there The Forge

I work for the British Video Association (the body which brings these companies together to collaborate on projects like this website) and Greenroom Digital built the website.

The site aims to be a consumer-facing site which teaches people what Blu-ray is, and what they need to get started - as well as letting people know about products on the market.

Some people may chose to download the widget to keep them instantly up to date with recent news - if the so wish. If you prefer the traditional route then you can also sign-up to the newsletter.

I'm here with permission of avforums to answer any questions people have about the site and to hear direct feedback, as we value the opinions of the avforums community. Hope this answers your concerns

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom