The Bletchley Circle (ITV)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Series 2 starts at post #18

Series 1 - Three-part thriller starring BAFTA award winner Anna Maxwell Martin

Rachael Stirling, Sophie Rundle, Julie Graham

After producing crucial intelligence which helped the Allies to victory during World War Two, Susan, Millie, Lucy and Jean have returned to their normal lives. Until now that is… When a string of unresolved murders take place, Susan and her friends spot a pattern of behaviour no-one else has, but can they begin to crack the case and bring the culprit to justice?

Last edited:
so a period detective drama featuring women cryptographers solving murders
- I wonder if it'll be like Charlie's Angels, with Charlie being Turing?

:laugh:

Radio4 Extra have been broadcasting a serial about Noel Coward and Judy Garland taking on American gangsters.:) I'd like to see a TV version of that rather than this.

Bri

It's got Anna Maxwell Martin, so that's usually a good sign Bri

I enjoyed it.

Rai/Bri - did you recognise Sophie Rundle (Lucy) from Episodes?
- she appeared with her two friends

I enjoyed it.

Indeed Anna Maxwell Martin is usually very good. I loved her in the recent Bleak House adaption. Lucy rang a very vauge bell but I have to confess I didn't watch the second series of Episodes and I don't remember from the first.

Bri

I enjoyed it.

If she had clothes on, not a chance :D

Interesting episode 1, the memory recall girl can be useful

Lucy rang a very vauge bell but I have to confess I didn't watch the second series of Episodes and I don't remember from the first.
if you haven't already, just Google with SafeSearch Moderate or Off on images :)
- she was only in the second series, a character called Labia

I thought the grand finale was a bit of a damp squib. Her actions made no sense.
She'd demonstrated she was willing to sacrifice herself for the sake of her family and then did the one thing that didn't guarantee anything except her own sticky end. Still, I suppose you could argue that under extreme stress she finally wasn't thinking straight, unlike the laser type acumen she'd shown in the previous two and three quarter hours.

Having said all that, I would happily watch another season or two.

Regards

Mark

The more i watched the more i tired of it, i liked Anna Maxwell Martin in the role, but the other girls were quite forgettable.

Watched it last night . I agree with most not bad but thought ending was a bit lame.

Id watch another though.

Loved it and really hope they bring it back but I'm with others that the finale was a bit disappointing compared to the rest of it.

Series 2 commissioned by ITV

Four new episodes starring Anna Maxwell Martin, Rachael Stirling, Sophie Rundle and Julie Graham.

Hattie Morahan joins the cast

Plot;
Set a year on from the first series in 1953, the ladies are reunited for their second case in the first two-part story when former Bletchley Park colleague, Alice Merren (Hattie Morahan) is accused of murder. Jean (Julie Graham) methodically sets to work examining the evidence and is intent on helping Alice after a distinguished scientist is discovered shot through the heart in the study of his home with Alice, gun in hand, standing over him.

The evidence is stacked against her, but Jean’s instincts tell her differently and she goes to visit Alice in Holloway Prison. Alice is quietly resigned to the fact she will hang. But why has she offered no defence and why does she refuse to talk?

Jean calls on the ladies to reunite, but will they share her faith in Alice’s innocence?

Susan (Anna Maxwell Martin) is still shaken by the trauma of last year’s events and fears for the safety of her young family.

Millie (Rachael Stirling) has secured a highly regarded position translating for German businessman – the old enemy.

Now working for Scotland Yard as a secretary, Lucy’s (Sophie Rundle) ability to process and recall data (eidetic memory) is vital if the ladies are to investigate Alice’s case.

Will the women overcome their fears and risk their burgeoning careers to save Alice’s life as the days to the hanging countdown? And what danger will they face as they uncover not only Alice’s secret, but also a much darker one at the heart of the British Army?

In the second of the two-part stories Millie’s black market dealings with charming rogue Jasper lands her in jeopardy when she becomes caught up in the murky world of people trafficking, bringing her face to face with hard-bitten Marta, a Maltese businesswoman whose family isn’t to be crossed.

Abducted by Marta’s henchmen, Millie is shocked by what she discovers. But with her own life under threat can Millie escape and help the imprisoned young women, whose misery her “innocent” side-business has helped fund. And will the rest of the Circle forgive and help her?

they looked a bit clumsy but somehow these ladies delivered :lesson:

didn't expect a 2nd series, but happy :smashin:

Series 2 - starts Monday 6 Jan, 9pm

It improved as the episode went on, look forward to the rest

Enjoyed all the episodes. Four eps didn't last long though.

Not that good a second series. None of the thrills or suspense of the first. Clumsy replacement of the lead character ... almost as if they're asking to be cancelled.

Cancelled by ITV

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom