The 'black screen on input switch' SkyQ thread

This still seams to be an issue, I mostly get around it by switching the Q box off before switching inputs but occasionally forget and then I have to unplug its HDMI cable and plug it back in. This seems to kick it into life.

I stopped turning the Sky Q box off two months ago now and not had a single lockup since then.

Changed my Harmony activity to ignore powering the Sky Q box on or off.

Issue sorted. Now how do I manage to scrape together the extra 50p a year or so it costs to leave the box on 24/7??? :D

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem, I have to switch the Q off before switching the input of my AVR to something else and only switch the Q back on again when the AVR input has been switched back to the Q box... If I don't do that the HDMI does not sync and I have to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable.

I have the opposite problem, I have to switch the Q off before switching the input of my AVR to something else and only switch the Q back on again when the AVR input has been switched back to the Q box... If I don't do that the HDMI does not sync and I have to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable.

Sounds like the issue I had, do you have a Sony str1080?

Sad to see it still hasn’t been fixed yet

How does your other half cope with all that? It would drive my Mrs to watch TV in the bedroom where we have a bog standard Freeview TV.

Problem still occurring regularly here. Sky Q V2 connected directly to my LG E6 TV. Have to switch the Sky Q box off before switching inputs or will get a black screen when switching back or, even worse, a blue screen and “this display does not support HDCP” message. It does.

Have to then restart the Sky Q by powering down to fix it. Until the inevitable next time.

My issues with the black screen disappeared when the firmware on the Sky box updated a couple of months back. I've also had a few AVR firmware updates since then too. I do have my harmony set to turn the sky box off first when switching inputs.

Mine seems to be working OK now as well. I've just updated my Harmony to switch it off when not in use and just changed inputs a couple of times and it worked. I now have an Onkyo receiver and it's the first time I've tried it since getting it in March...

This is still an issue then! Have been monitoring the threads for update and fix but none so far. This used to happen occasionally now it is every day (don’t know how that could be) and it’s driving me nuts. Tried all configs without much success will ring sky and have a winge after today’s Grand Prix.

Have Sky q v2, denon amp and a panny 902b. Great when it all works...

This used to happen occasionally now it is every day (don’t know how that could be) and it’s driving me nuts.
Snap! Started getting worse again, it hadn’t happened for a while but is back with a vengeance!

Does seem to happen more to people with Denon amps, unless there are just more people with Denon amps.

My assumption is that this is a Sky Q issue but I’d like to know if there are any brands/models of TVs that do NOT exhibit this problem with Sky Q. I’d seriously consider selling my LG E6 and replacing it if that was the case. I need stable Sky Q more than I need 3D.

Anyone got an example of TVs that have never had this problem?

The vast majority of TV's (including my own Panasonic TX49FX750B) don't have this problem with Sky Q boxes.
I come across all brands daily in peoples homes during my work.

The vast majority of TV's (including my own Panasonic TX49FX750B) don't have this problem with Sky Q boxes.
I come across all brands daily in peoples homes during my work.
It's not the TV - this problem only happens via an AV receiver

Had my sky q box replaced last week - it wasn't displaying some channels, wasn't recording - faulty hard drive apparently.

New sky q box installed, seemed ok to start with but now doesn't respond to the remote, light is green but no-one's home! Currently waiting to speak to the help team on messenger which was foolish of me - waiting over an hour.

It's not the TV - this problem only happens via an AV receiver
It also happened when the Q was connected directly to my TV, if I switched to an internal source on the TV and back to HDMI without first putting the Q box to standby then it would show the black screen.

Had my sky q box replaced last week - it wasn't displaying some channels, wasn't recording - faulty hard drive apparently.

New sky q box installed, seemed ok to start with but now doesn't respond to the remote, light is green but no-one's home! Currently waiting to speak to the help team on messenger which was foolish of me - waiting over an hour.
Basically every day I have to do a hard restart because the sky q box has a green light but no picture. Made videos of what happens because sod's law when the engineer is here I won't be able to replicate the issue.

Basically every day I have to do a hard restart because the sky q box has a green light but no picture. Made videos of what happens because sod's law when the engineer is here I won't be able to replicate the issue.
Have you tried just unplugging the hdmi cable and plugging it back in again? I’ve found that usually initiates a handshake and it syncs up properly. Saves having to restart it.

'Have you tried just unplugging the hdmi cable and plugging it back in again? I’ve found that usually initiates a handshake and it syncs up properly. Saves having to restart it' - be aware that 'Hotplugging' HDMI cables to kickstart the handshake process carries the risk of you causing a voltage jump between the cable and the AVR/TV which can occasionally fry HDMI sockets!

If a particular combination of kit is having this type of handshake issue and changing one or other device for a different brand/model is not an option there are devices such as the HDFury Dr HDMI (HD) or Dr HDMI 4K (UHD) which can sit between the Source and and the AVR to 'isolate' the Source from any changes on its Output side.

HDFury Dr HDMI 4K - The Media Factory

Joe

Have you tried just unplugging the hdmi cable and plugging it back in again? I’ve found that usually initiates a handshake and it syncs up properly. Saves having to restart it.

'Have you tried just unplugging the hdmi cable and plugging it back in again? I’ve found that usually initiates a handshake and it syncs up properly. Saves having to restart it' - be aware that 'Hotplugging' HDMI cables to kickstart the handshake process carries the risk of you causing a voltage jump between the cable and the AVR/TV which can occasionally fry HDMI sockets!

If a particular combination of kit is having this type of handshake issue and changing one or other device for a different brand/model is not an option there are devices such as the HDFury Dr HDMI (HD) or Dr HDMI 4K (UHD) which can sit between the Source and and the AVR to 'isolate' the Source from any changes on its Output side.

HDFury Dr HDMI 4K - The Media Factory

Joe

Thanks both. I had another visit from another sky engineer who installed a new sky q box. The same issue happened whereby when the box went into standby the signal was lost BUT it doesn't say 'no signal' on the tv screen as it would do for any other device I use. The green light is on but the sky q box doesn't respond. I tried turning off 'eco' mode but that made no difference. The maddening thing was that the issue didn't show up when the engineer arrived (I did record a video of the issue so the engineer could see I wasn't making it up!).

I looked into this on the sky community forum and found a 40 page thread about this very issue which has affected LG, Samsung and Sony TVs. One of the fixes suggested was to change the output in the sky q settings from 2160 to 1080. This seemed to work (when I checked this morning). Someone mentioned having hdmi control set to on for both the sky q box and the tv. I need to check if they are on.

I don't get this issue with any other device I use (PS4, Sony UHD player, nintendo switch) - I use pass through on the amp but up until very recently this hasn't been a problem. So it makes me think maybe a firmware release from either the Sony tv, the sky q box or the denon amp has caused this issue. It seems odd that rebooting the sky q box solves the problem but it's a pain doing it every day.

Last edited:
You won't be able to fix it as long as Sky keep replacing the box like for like. This problem only happens on V2 boxes - these are the ones that have the external power supply with the figure 8 plug into that. You need to insist on a V1 box which had the power supply built in and you attach the power cable directly to the box.

Do they even stock the V1 boxes any more?

So I could pay for HD Fury solution, that's an option - there's also the option of pressing home on the sky q remoted followed by 1,0,8,0 and home which resets the box to 1080i. All a bit of a faff and very annoying that this is an issue sky are familiar with.

Ring Sky and insist on a V1 box or you could leave the box on all the time which is what I do. Estimated cost is an extra £1.33 a year or something like that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom