Quantcast

The 'black screen on input switch' SkyQ thread

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I've just had a firmware update notification on my Denon amp (avr-x2200w) that someone says fixes the sky q issue so fingers crossed. As I don't have Sky Q at the moment I can't confirm whether it does fix it but it sounds promising

rickytpb

Has anyone with this problem tried a 48Gb/s HDMI cable? Previously the only cable that gave me a picture at 2160p was the Sky supplied one but with the "no input/black screen" problem.

I have been using a 48Gb/s cable the past week (cost £15). The picture comes up much quicker than before and no "no input/black screen" problem yet. It is not perfect though as I've had a blinking screen problem a couple of times but this is much easier to fix (put into standby, wait a few seconds and put back on - no reboot)

This is not the first time I've thought I've had a fix or workaround which would then mysteriously stop being reliable. Fingers crossed this time otherwise it is back to 1080p.

Has anyone with this problem tried a 48Gb/s HDMI cable?
I'm using a short decent branded 50cm cable HDMI cable from my Sky Q to my Denon. Had Sky Q installed on Friday. Following morning when I turned the TV on got black screen no input until I power cycled the Sky box so I'm guessing the answer is yes I have that problem.

Turned Eco mode off, so far so good.

chez1hunts

Had my sky box replaced last night as it wouldn't connct to the internet. Everything was fine after the Sky installer left for about 30 mins. Now having the black screen almost ever hour or so.
Spoke to Sky and was told it's an issue with my LG 65E7V and not a SKY issue. I need to contact LG for the fix.

Glad I found this thread as it looks like Sky have just lied.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Had my sky box replaced last night as it wouldn't connct to the internet. Everything was fine after the Sky installer left for about 30 mins. Now having the black screen almost ever hour or so.
Spoke to Sky and was told it's an issue with my LG 65E7V and not a SKY issue. I need to contact LG for the fix.

Glad I found this thread as it looks like Sky have just lied.
Are you connected to an AVR or direct to TV?

Gehrman

This has just started happening with my Q box hooked up to a Denon 2500. At the moment I'm having to power cycle the Q box to get it to display again which is annoying.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
This has just started happening with my Q box hooked up to a Denon 2500. At the moment I'm having to power cycle the Q box to get it to display again which is annoying.
Leave the Q box on permanently - that will solve it.. Not perfect but cuts the stress

chez1hunts

Are you connected to an AVR or direct to TV?

I've tried both and still the same. I'll contact LG to see if there is an update as Sky said but I've also set the SkyQ box to 1080i and it hasn't happened since. Not ideal as can't watch any UHD but at least we can watch some TV for now.

AVR is a Denon 3400

Antiquarian

We always switch tv on then sky q, sky q off then tv off and this seems to overcome the problem for us. Our sky q goes via denon 4300 to the tv.

stewjoy

We always switch tv on then sky q, sky q off then tv off and this seems to overcome the problem for us. Our sky q goes via denon 4300 to the tv.
Same here. No problems, but mines through a Anthem receiver.

stripeyjoe

I guess either the Q, the Denon or the Samsung TV have had a software update as now the Q keeps switching the resolution back to 1080 from UHD! ***!!!!

interbear

I put up with this for about 18 months, resetting the box a couple of times a day and tolerating it. My set up was simple, no AV or sound bars, just the Sky Q 2TB box connected directly via hdmi into my LG 55E6 OLED TV.

I eventually booked a Sky engineer visit. The engineer immediately diagnosed the issue as being due to the Sky Q V2 box (with the external power supply) and went to find a V1 box in his van. He had one, swapped the box and I have since been totally free of black screen issues (and blue screen HDCP errors). Two months now with no issues including when swapping between inputs. No workarounds required.

So, Sky certainly know about the issue and certainly acknowledged, in my case, that it was their V2 box that was causing it.

Fingers crossed it stays fixed.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Thanks, do you leave the box on all the time then?
No, just use it as normal, the splitter stops any black screen problems (so far , touch wood)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Still no black screen issues since using the splitter so looks like that's definitely done the trick :)

john316

Leave the Q box on permanently - that will solve it.. Not perfect but cuts the stress
My one requires the Sky Q box to be switched off when changing inputs in any way shape or form. Even switching to like the YouTube app on the TV can trigger the black screen issue when attempting to switch back :-(

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
My one requires the Sky Q box to be switched off when changing inputs in any way shape or form. Even switching to like the YouTube app on the TV can trigger the black screen issue when attempting to switch back :-(
I don't get what you're saying mate...

john316

I don't get what you're saying mate...
If I want to switch away from Sky Q box and I leave the box switched on, you will get the black screen issue 8 times out of 10. If I put the box into standby before switching inputs or switching to an app on the Q90R TV, then it will be absolutely fine. Leaving the box permanently on instead of standby is just a guaranteed black screen issue in no time at all.

Steve Stifler

Q installed yesterday and working fine with Eco mode and changed to 2160 so called uhd through an Anthem to an Epson projector. Picture looking good. Switched on this morning got sound but black screen and the pj saying input not supported. Tried powering off and on before reading this thread but only sound. Disappointing.

PS this is on a 2TB box. Changed the mini box to CEC control. Would that change affect the main box settings and be the cause?

Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Just to reiterate I've had no issues whatsoever with my V2 sky Q box since putting the splitter linked to above between the sky box and my Denon amp. I definitely recommend picking one of those splitters up, saves so much hassle
It's this one you need btw..
Screenshot_20191226_090514_com.android.chrome.jpg

stripeyjoe

So... I now get three issues:
1. If I switch my amp on straight after switching the Q box and TV on I get the 'no signal' issue - usually fixed by pulling the HDMI cable out form the Q box and plugging it back in again. Always have to wait a few seconds after the picture has appeared on the TV before switching on the Denon.
2. If the Denon was left on a different input and the Q box is already on then need to power off and power on the Q box for it to show a picture.
3. Lovely new issue, like I used to get time to time with the old HD box - no satellite signal warning on switch on - have to power the Q box off and on to clear. I tried unplugging the two Sat cables but that didn't clear it, have to do a power cycle. I'm going to search the forum for this one or raise a separate thread.

With those three issues it's a 50/50 chance that the Q box will work when you want without some sort of peeing about.

Podgerr

I got this splitter , put it between the sky Q box and your amp (assuming you're using one) , had no problems at all since using that
Are you still not getting any issues since using this splitter? Can it pass UHD with Dolby Atmos from the Sky Q silver 2TB? Have had the Sky Q issue the last year so was looking at buying this as a possible fix. Thanks

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Are you still not getting any issues since using this splitter? Can it pass UHD with Dolby Atmos from the Sky Q silver 2TB? Have had the Sky Q issue the last year so was looking at buying this as a possible fix. Thanks
I’m using one and it works - and it passes Atmos