the big switch - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by marie33, Sep 4, 2007.

1. marie33

marie33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to an article i read in the guardian online, the uk is leading the big switch digital tv race; we have the highest digital penetration of any country in the world :thumbsup: , even with the switch starting in 2008 in the uk ...

2008 -- Border
    2009 -- Granada, West Country and Wales
    2010 -- West, Grampian and Scottish
    2011 -- Central, Anglia and Yorkshire
    2012 -- London, Meridian, Tyne Tees and Ulster

how did it go in your town/country; have you switched yet or are they any problems? i know countries like Finland have finished theirs this September and other like Australia are planning to have it in 2008 and the US 2009... i think it is a good thing but i would have loved for it to be provided free to customers ...

:)

2. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think there may well be some backpedalling on the timetable. I suspect that OAPs without TV might not be a vote winner in an election which is bound to happen in the middle of the current plan.

When you think about it, this is one of the biggest things to affect "ordinary" people since decimalisation back in 1971. The difference is that the general public didn't have to fork out directly from their own pocket to enable decimalisation to happen and we are expecting them to do so with digital TV.

By the time of the VHF Band I/III switch off of 405 line transmission in the 80s the numbers using the service were down to tens of thousands. Partly this was due to the fact that BBC2 and colour TV were only available on 625 line sets so there was a big incentive to switch over (sadly the channels available on Freeview don't provide the same incentive and High Definition simply won't happen on Freeview anyway). The other major factors were the timescale between 625 line TV becoming available and 405 lines being switched off, and the fact that sets which were capable of 405 line VHF reception hadn't been manufactured for many years before the switch-off - a year before we are planning to switch off analogue TV and the bulk of TVs sold still only have an analogue tuner built in. Absolute madness !

Edited to add:

Don't get me started on VCRs etc. Strange that Channel 5 had to fork out for all that retuning a few years back and suddenly nobody gives a flying f--- about how all these things are going to work for dear old widowed Mrs Average-OAP post switch-off

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I endorse the rant above - have posted similar myself in the past.
    It's scandalous that it is difficult (and normally expensive) to find smaller LCD TVs (14-18 inches) with digital (DVB-T) tuners whereas there's loads of cheap non premium branded analogue tuner types in Tesco, Argos etc. with headline features like "NICAM stereo", "SCART socket" and "teletext" as if these were hard to find, high tech and unusual attributes.
    A government with more balls would have used tax, tax or VAT rebates/exemptions and similar to force the manufacturers and retailers into the DVB-T world at sensible prices and affordability.

Chris Muriel, Manchester