1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The big question XGA or widescreen projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Saxon, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Saxon

Saxon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an Infocus LP530 XGA DLP projector which unfortunately was dropped by my wife and is the subject of an insurance claim. The projector cost around £2500 two years ago. The insurers have determined that the unit is beyond economic repair and so I need to make a speedy decision on a replacement model.

I prefer DLP to LCD and the projector sits on a high table behind the viewing position firing on a 7ft 8 in by 5ft 9 in Grandview 4 x 3 ratio electric screen from a distance of around 14 and a half to 15 feet away. The projector is our sole means of watching TV, VHS and DVD and sees occasional use for computer games at XGA resolution.

I went for a 4x3 projector last time because it seemd to give the same image size as a dedicated widescreen projectro on DVD widescreen material and offered a better size image for normal 4x3 TV use on NTL cable. This time around I am confused as to whether I should go for a dedicated home cinema 16 x 9 projector or go for another 4x3 business orientated model.

I'm considering the Infocus 5700 but for the price (£2200) it seems to offer quite low resolution (1024x576) which presumably makes for a small image size on TV material and unsuitability for games running at 1024x768

Next option is the Infocus LP600 which offers 1024x768 so seems to be a near equivalent of my current LP530 but how much worse is the quality for movies compared to the 5700?? On paper it's cheaper (£1306), newer and higher res as well as higher lumens - I can't understand why it's so cheap?

Other options seem to be the Mitsubishi XD300 (£2000) with 1024x768 DLP and the Infocus LP70 - can't see much difference between that and the LP600.

I need to make a fairly speedy decision on this and am pretty confused as to what would be a good option for me. The room is a normal domestic lounge and so cannot easily achieve total blackout even with curtains drawn.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Saxon

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Saxon,
    Do not place too much emphasis on the resolution or lack of it as most of the current crop of DLP projectors have built in scalers so will scale the incoming signal either up or down to match it's native resolution.
    If your main use will be TV, DVD, Video etc. Then the Infocus Screenplay 5700 ( £2200 - 1024 x 576 ) or the Optoma H57 (£1900 - 1024 x 576 ) would be good choices. The problem with using business/computer DLP projectors for film viewing is that on paper, the business ones look excellent value with great specifications, but they are tuned to displaying computer graphics and text and when a movie is fed through them, it looks very artificial and processed. It does not look filmic or natural. The colours are too exaggerated, lines are jagged and this is not what you want when watching a movie.
    The Infocus Screenplay 5700 has been developed with only film in mind and because of that, watching a movie on this will be a revelation compared to a business projector. The built in Faroudja de-interlacer is amazing and removes all digital artifacts, lines and edges are smooth and detail is fantastic. Using an XGA 4.3 ratio projector is not making the best of a widescreen signal anyway as not all that resolution is used to display the picture, a considerable amount is wasted in the black bars that it has top and bottom of the image.
    A widescreen projector utilises all of it's pixels when displaying a 16.9 image so do not right off any DLP that doesn't have an WXGA resolution. DLP by it's nature doesn't have the screendoor problems of a comparable resolution LCD projector so you'll be amazed at the image.
    The Infocus will give you a fantastic picture if you're serious about your film viewing, but if just plain old 4.3 TV is your main consideration then maybe going for a brighter 4.3 XGA would suit you better.
    If I has the money, I'd get the Infocus and a cheap 32inch TV for daytime viewing!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27