The big PS5 Love in!

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I’ve extremely surprised to read some of the threads where folk have been underwhelmed by the PS5 and I have been left scratching my head at these. For me, most new consoles have been very underwhelming of late and as such I’ve been focusing on retro gaming over the last 5+ years. As devices I felt that recent consoles were just not really fit for purpose and they were more frustrating to use than they should have been. Constant updates, slow downloads and ever longer waits to load games (and reload when you die, switch to a hub or menu etc.) have just left me not wanting to play. As I’m a 47 year old with kids and a business, both of which demand my time, the days when my consoles get turned on every day (or even every week) are long gone. As a result, my leisure time is valuable and I don’t want to waste that time doing X, Y, Z, just to play a game I want to play.

Games already looked and sounded pretty damn good to be honest and whilst I did sit there cursing how long it was taking me to a) update the console, b) update the game, c) load the game and then spend a good proportion of my gaming time loading different parts of the game, I never sat there thinking “this looks rubbish”. So with the PS5, whilst the upgrade to sound and vision are nice, it’s really how well the whole console works that I love. That’s what has moved gaming on for me and what has made gaming a pleasure again and not a chore.

The other thing is the joypad. It’s been covered to death how good it is, but it’s just amazing! It just makes me feel part of the game in a far greater way than before. Obviously Astro’s Playroom takes it to extremes to really show you what is capable, but even just playing Demon’s Souls, the subtle feelings it gives you when you swipe your weapon and hit an enemy and even the haptics when you walk or run just add a whole new level of immersion. Those who have used it will understand this and how it’s so much more than just a rumbling pad and the great thing is that you generally don’t consciously notice it. It’s how it subconsciously ties you in to the experience that is like some sort of magic. I just can’t wait to see how Insomniac and Polyphony Digital build this into Ratchet & Clank and Gran Turismo.

I’ve been thinking of other console launches and how this one stacks up against the rest. Some of the others that stick in my mind are the PS1, the N64, the Dreamcast, the Xbox 360 and the Wii. The PS1 launch was superb as it cumulated in a shift from mostly 2D gaming to 3D gaming and being able to play a near arcade perfect Ridge Racer at home was amazing. The N64 had a similar effect with Mario 64. The Dreamcast was another one I loved, with a decent line up of games and a console which felt like a great step up. The Xbox 360 was another great launch. We were treated to the step up to HD visuals and a superb launch line up. Then Wii was a very memorable one thanks to Wii Sports, but there was a huge novelty factor involved. Then there has been the not so good. The PS3 was vastly delayed, overpriced and had a huge lack of games at launch and the Xbox One was a complete shambles too. The PS5 is well up there amongst the better launches and it has really invigorated my love of gaming, literally overnight! Pre launch I was fairly excited, but given that I hadn’t gamed that much over the last gen, I wondered if it was a wise purchase. I need not have worried.

So why is it so good?

• The speed of the machine is just superb on all levels. The console boots up quickly, games load quickly, the UI is snappy and lag free and it’s just a joy to use. This continues through all aspects (whether it’s using apps, switching between games and apps or playing a blu ray).
  • It encourages multimedia use. Sony definitely hasn’t focused on this aspect (unlike say MS with the XB1 last gen), but because everything is so quick and a joy to use, I find that I am using the PS5 for most things. Today for example I’ve played some Demon’s Souls, I watched a Blu Ray this afternoon and now I’m watching Leeds v Arsenal on the Sky app. Last gen I never did this, but now I am
  • The controller. I’ve discussed this above but it’s just a huge factor that really adds to the enjoyment of the machine
So there we have it. The PS5 has really surprised me by how good it really is and I can really see myself using it far more than the PS4, or any other console last generation.

So, with all that said, what are you loving most about the PS5?

winka45

I love it, but I've said in other threads I've come from 32" 1080p gaming on a standard ps4 to 55 inch 4k gaming on a PS5 so that may skew things a bit for me.

Controller is fantastic, didn't think just a little adjustment to a vibrating pad would give you such a huge feeling in immersiveness but it does.

Love the Ui and the speed of everything.

Just love it. Just a shame I'll get addicted to Cod and probably end up playing nothing else for the next year which I could have done on my PS4 :rotfl:

rio1981

With you all the way on this :D

I guess it depends on your habits prior to this gen too - as I skipped the PS4 completely and only had a PS3 very briefly, so there's a lot that feels "new" to me with the PS5, as well as the stuff that actually is new, such as the controller (which aside from haptics I'm finding more comfortable than the new Xbox controller).

So the great thing for me on a personal level is that I get to dabble in the back catalogue with the PS Collection so I can play through the games that I missed, as well as have a blast with the new stuff.

I'm not sure the feelings that came with the Dreamcast, PS2 or Xbox 360 will ever be surpassed for me, that's my holy trinity! But the PS5 is mighty impressive.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
With you all the way on this :D

I guess it depends on your habits prior to this gen too - as I skipped the PS4 completely and only had a PS3 very briefly, so there's a lot that feels "new" to me with the PS5, as well as the stuff that actually is new, such as the controller (which aside from haptics I'm finding more comfortable than the new Xbox controller).

So the great thing for me on a personal level is that I get to dabble in the back catalogue with the PS Collection so I can play through the games that I missed, as well as have a blast with the new stuff.

I'm not sure the feelings that came with the Dreamcast, PS2 or Xbox 360 will ever be surpassed for me, that's my holy trinity! But the PS5 is mighty impressive.
Yes I can imagine it must be a huge step up for you. I owned a couple of PS4 Pros and an XBox One X, so whilst the visuals are still a nice step up, with the extra power, it's more the other aspects that have really impressed me.

In recent previous gens (apart from with Nintendo with the Wii, WIi U & Switch, which all offered something different) it all just seemed like there's your incremental power step up, now off you go. It didn't really excite me, but this gen (especially when it comes to Sony) everything feels really fresh again.

The speed of the system is the big one for me. Just playing Demon's Souls yesterday and being able to switch between levels (or respawn when grinding) in a flash made the experience so much more enjoyable than say when I was playing Dark Souls 3 the other week. On their own, the individual speed differences aren't huge and it's not that I can't wait another 10-20 seconds for a level to load, but all them all together and it just improves the all round experience so much! As one example, I was grinding for an hour or so on Demon's Souls last night and if it took say 10 seconds more to respawn on say a PS4, then as I was respawning every minute, that's an extra 10 minutes gaming time. That's just in one hour on one night. Then there's that the console boots up straight away, games may load about a minute quicker. I am also downloading at around 470 meg on my 500 meg connection, whereas I was only getting around 100-150 meg on PS4, so games download in around a quarter to a third of the time and updates are dispatched in a flash. I honestly never thought that something like the speed of the system/SSD would have so much of an affect, but it's a gamechanger for me (no pun intended). Of course the XBSX/S also benefit from this too, but for me Sony have just gone further and the following reasons are why I feel the PS5 launch is one of the best ever:

- Controller - just amazing. Last gen the DS4 was good, but I preferred the XB1 pad. The Dual Sense is just amazing though and even with all of the hype before hand, I couldn't have expected how good it would be and how much it would enhance the gaming experience.

- User Interface - I just love it. It's fresh, snappy and being able to pull up cards on games, click on them to go straight to levels, or view hints via videos is amazing. To be able to have a friend's game playing in a small window whilst you play your game is also superb. The PS4 UI was good, but it's great to see that Sony have continued to innovate, to deliver us a new experience worthy of a new console.

- Games - There's loads to look forward to on PS5, but by giving us some cracking titles like Spiderman MM, Demon's Souls and the outstanding Astro's Playroom for free at launch means that we aren't just sat looking at a great console that plays last gen games better at launch

Sony have just nailed the full package with the PS5 launch

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom