The Big Four - Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax (Audio problems??)

simonldt

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the Big Four BD and I am shocked at how poor the sound is. The whole thing is a clipped mess. All I can hear are these clicking/crackling noises from the guitars. Is this meant to be?

My set-up:
Oppo bdp-83 > Sony 2400ES (analogue) > Marantz pm7001 (for the fronts) > B&W 600 series speakers.

The Anthrax set is by far the cleanest but even that has this clipping sound in places, the Slayer and Metallica sets sound atrocious. I almost feel like sending it back, it's clipped more than Death Magnetic (and thats not a joke either). It really is that bad, I actually fear that it may be damaging my speakers also. I tried searching around the net to see if others have the same problem but found nothing. Maybe I have a dud copy, but surely they'd be more than 1 copy like this? (usually it would be a whole batch).

Now whether it was clipped at mixing stage or mastering stage I don't know. I'm hearing some dynamics so unsure whether it's actually brickwalled or not. I don't know a way to pull off waveforms from the disc (any tips?). The worst is during Slayer and Metallica. Megadeth and Anthrax don't suffer as much, but it still clips. Also, I think I am hearing tons of snare buzz during the Slayer set so that no doubt doesn't help (can even hear it between songs when Tom talks).

Anyone else own this and able to check?

Nope, not heard any problems at all. In fact it gets very good reviews for the sound.

My copy just arrived today and I will check it out when I can and post back.

My copy just arrived today and I will check it out when I can and post back.

Just checked out disc 2 (Metallica) and it is perfect.No audio synch problems either like the Metallica standalone blu-ray thankfully. I have just realised that I didnt get disc 1 so have emailed amazon - it was from amazon warehouse deals and I got it for £13 as it was a return that was as good as new with only the shrinkwrapping missing.

Am I Evil is a blast - what a riff with all 4 bands on stage too. PQ + AQ seems superb on the Metallica set overall.

Forgot to say that this is through a Sony 760 and a Denon 1910 by hdmi.

Last edited:
Hmmm, thanks for the reply appreciate it.

You can't hear any clicking/crackling? (like it's clipped) I definitely hear it here, worst on the Slayer set but it's there on the Metallica set too. If I get some timings posted for where I hear some bad distortion could you check yours too?

I purchased this brand new from Amazon (although IndigoStarfish supplied it) but it came with no seal on it (was open). Just worried it might have been a return or something. Although not entirely sure if it's faulty or just how its meant to be. I'm leaning more towards the 'not faulty' route but I'm still not really sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom