The Beyond blu ray by arrow confirmed

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely day one for me too.
I expect the January release date will slip to at least April just like all their other releases though

I can retire the tin.:D

I can retire the tin.:D

Sold mine on the bay a few weeks ago in anticipation, Got back about the same as what I paid for it, Thought it might have fetched more tbh.

Sold mine on the bay a few weeks ago in anticipation, Got back about the same as what I paid for it, Thought it might have fetched more tbh.
I've been trying to offload my tin for a couple of years but as I said on the Back to the Future thread the tin packaging fails to live up to the expectations because its not that appealing.
Steelbooks are fine but the various tins are just so awkward to store and don't really look that good regardless of the contents.

I gave up trying a while ago

UK Recall Advice

Blu ray released on 14th March 2011.

Early review copies of the disc were found to have a transfer defect, mainly noticeable through the opening scene being presented in monochrome (black and white) rather than the intended sepia tone. This was to be rectified before retail pressings were released; however, some appear to have slipped through.

OFFICIAL RETURNS POLICY FOR ARROW VIDEO'S THE BEYOND BLU-RAY and DVD

Okay folks, when your copy of The Beyond (Blu-ray or DVD) arrives, check it to see if it has the monochrome opening. If it does and you want a replacement, all you need to do is drop us an e-mail here, but go through the checklist below to make sure you send the right information:

1. Attach a scan or a good quality photo of your shipping slip or store receipt. If your e-tailer doesn't send paper-based shipping slips, please forward the shipping e-mail you receive (please note this is only for e-tailers that don't issue paper slips).
2. Include in the e-mail your full title, name and postal address with post/zip code.
3. Please also confirm in your e-mail the retailer name where the disc was purchased from.
4. Send e-mail here.
5. Please allow up to 21 days for processing – where possible Arrow will ship as soon as they can.

Once that is done, please be patient whilst Arrow process and arrange a replacement disc. Please use the checklist before you e-mail Arrow Video to make sure you have provided all the necessary information so that your replacement disc order can be speedily expedited.

This is the same policy for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs and for Arrow Video costumers from all around the world, not just in the UK.

Arrow Video would like to thank customers for their patience and hope that the final discs will bring The Beyond to life like never before.

beyond.jpg

Last edited:
So does this mean that Arrow are releasing the 'defective' one anyway? I would have thought they would have delayed releasing it until fixed.

So does this mean that Arrow are releasing the 'defective' one anyway? I would have thought they would have delayed releasing it until fixed.

As it says above some slipped though the net and are on shelves

As anyone actually purchased this disc yet and had it delivered early ?

If so did you get a faulty copy that slipped out or did you get the corrected version ?

If so where did you buy it from ?

:confused:

I pre-ordered it from HMV and it arrived on Friday.

Took about five minutes to get past all the promotional low-fi crap and actually check the film and yes, I've got a bad copy with the intro in black and white. I suspect the public announcement about only a few copies being affected is "smoke and mirrors" to try and minimise damage control to Arrow's already shaky reputation.

I deleted my shipping note as soon as the disc arrived and HMV don't issue any kind of paper slip so Arrows returns policy totally screws me. I'm going to return the disc to HMV and get a full refund and not order a replacement as the picture quality is not good. Either this has been DNR'ed to hell or they sourced it from a VHS tape. Fancy packaging isn't going to convince me I've got a bargain, which seems to be the way Arrow operate these days.

So the quality is rubbish then ?

Have you got a 25gb disc or a 50 gb disc as there was talk of it being higher bitrate than the review copies ?

How bad is the picture surely its better than the DVD ?

It's patchy. Not got time to view the whole thing or to take screencaps (am running late with a podcast that needs to go out tonight) but watching the intro it has that "jpeg" or "old VHS" tape look. Hard to describe without showing it, but basically extremely soft, almost streaky look.

When the prologue is over it improves but varies a lot. One scene can look better than DVD and then the next it's back to looking really soft and more like video than film. Fair amount of dirt and sparklies showing up too, although that may just be because I only checked the first few minutes.

Only thing I can compare it with from the same company is "Battle Royale" which I thought looked a lot better (and was surprised at how good it looked given comments on here about how disappointing it was).

I can't say I am impressed with the PQ on my 25GB disc either. I have forwarded my HMV email to Arrow but there will be an up to 3 week wait which in all probability will cover off the time pressing the new 50GB discs.
Out of interest has anyone actually received a 50GB disc as yet?

It's patchy. Not got time to view the whole thing or to take screencaps (am running late with a podcast that needs to go out tonight) but watching the intro it has that "jpeg" or "old VHS" tape look. Hard to describe without showing it, but basically extremely soft, almost streaky look.

Whatever you do, don't voice this on their Cult-Labs forums: you run the risk of receiving the same treatment as the "ungodly warlock" at the beginning of said film!

"Cult" labs: never a more apt description of a forum.

To be fair , reviews have shown the faulty version to take up only 7.7Gb on the disc which may account for the poor quality 25Gb discs.
I assume the 50Gb discs will be twice as good.
Unfortunately the second disc is a dvd so some of the bonus features that were shot in HD are wasted on the dvd .

Took about five minutes to get past all the promotional low-fi crap and actually check the film

Or you could, you know, use the skip to next chapter button and head instantly to the titles? No one is forcing you to watch it, it is skippable. :facepalm:

Or you could, you know, use the skip to next chapter button and head instantly to the titles? No one is forcing you to watch it, it is skippable. :facepalm:

Much of the guff you can FF through but some titles cannot be skipped entirely.

My Play.com order arrived today.
Surprise surprise it's a faulty one

Exactly how many copies do they send out for reviewing?

I must agree this is the worst Arrow Bluray I've seen. It does look like a vhs tape and not just at the start either....:thumbsdow

I'm not an Arrow basher normally, but......it really is terrible

Hopefully the corrected discs will not only replace the B&W start with the sepia version but they will also increase the bit rate of the film which is not even dvd quality .
The DTS sound is rubbish too.

Bit annoying that the second disc is a dvd

That's my e-mail away to Arrow together with quality photo of receipt.

Black and white too. :(

Very surprised, and a little angry, that Arrow have allowed this to happen.

Got an e-mail this morning from Arrow confirming my details and stating a replacement copy will be sent out asap.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom