The Best TVs and Projectors of IFA 2019 - news discussion

Thank you Steve.

Did you have time to see some short throw laser projectors? Apparently the LG HU85LA made a good impression.

Quite disappointing show with no major announcement or unveiling, which was mostly by budget manufacturers. Roll on CES 2020!

Same old drivel from these manufacturers.

IMAX Enhanced aka THX V2.0: wipe out any remaining film grain. T2 on IMAX Enhanced please

Filmmaker mode: no real technical advancement could be offered as the current TV tech has almost reached its peak. This is literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

All these look and feel like solutions to problems that never existed.

Have to admit that the Philips OLED TV with B&W soundbar looks gorgeous. It craps right on the face of the overpriced Panny GZ2000.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Still waiting for news of new Sony projectors. I shall continue waiting.

Did you have time to see some short throw laser projectors? Apparently the LG HU85LA made a good impression.
Yes, there are some excellent short throw laser projectors. They can make a viable alternative to a TV due to their instant on/off, brightness and long lifespan. However I didn't get a chance to see the HU85LA in action.
Thanks Steve. Still waiting for news of new Sony projectors. I shall continue waiting.
It's possible they announce something at CEDIA, but Sony usually announce new projectors at IFA.

It's possible they announce something at CEDIA, but Sony usually announce new projectors at IFA.

You guys didn't get the chance to speak to the Sony projector guys? It seems from various posts that Sony seems to be issuing FW updates as well. Possibly enabling dynamic iris on the 760ES, which would be very very cool for a 2 year old product! Did you hear anything?

You guys didn't get the chance to speak to the Sony projector guys? It seems from various posts that Sony seems to be issuing FW updates as well. Possibly enabling dynamic iris on the 760ES, which would be very very cool for a 2 year old product! Did you hear anything?
Unfortunately Sony projectors weren't at IFA until the Saturday and I flew out on the Friday.

8K screens when in most of the world we still have a lot of SD TV channels.

When 4k is Standard we will probably be at 65,536K!

I do think it's about time Freeview and FreeSat started to push channels to HD as the 'default' option. No point for advertisers if people are just not watching SD channels

I do think it's about time Freeview and FreeSat started to push channels to HD as the 'default' option. No point for advertisers if people are just not watching SD channels

It requires more bandwidth space for HD channels which Freeview & Freesat have no control over, so don't expect any change soon. (Some areas have already lost some HD channels as they increase bandwidth for mobile phones)

Bill

Thanks Steve - Who will win the fight between you and Steve to review the Philips OLED.

I take it you meant Phil, or am I fighting with myself?

Ooooops - typo. Meant you and Phil of course.

And I mean, who will win the fight to review the Philips 88" 8K OLED, when it becomes a production model in two years' time, around September 2021? I assume that that will entail a trip to Philips' UK headquarters ...... That's about my target date, or maybe it might be a year later still. to buy my last big new television.

Currently I'm drawn towards the future Philips 88" 8K OLED over the equivalent (rather more imminent, maybe by Christmas?) LG 88" model because I expect that Philips will do Dolby Vision as well as HDR10+, whereas the LG will do (unless LG change their minds) only Dolby Vision. As does the otherwise excellent Sony 85ZG9 LCD. A similar but reverse argument rules out Samsung's very large QLED models, because they do only HDR10+, not Dolby Vision. The Philips might be the only very large OLED or LCD television that does both Dolby Vision and HDR10+, and that alone, disregarding all other factors, will get it my vote over the other manufacturers. I don't normally do box-ticking just for the sake of it, but this will absolutely be my last television, so I can't afford (literally) for it not to be able to do all HDR formats, not forgetting HLG.

Last edited:
The best projector bar none is JVC RS2000 also known as NX7.

I will buy the NX9 when I get my reparation money :laugh::laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom