The best TV for digital terrestrial SD channels

marck120

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Italy, unfortunately I do not speak English, I look for a TV with VA panel, possibly a 50 inch, I am interested in the highest quality video on digital terrestrial SD channels, even the build quality is very important, the budget is 400 € , which TV do you recommend ?

The Philips PUS7000/12 series, there are various versions, in 50" is pretty good with making softer images look good.

There were being offered for £399 on Amazon recently.

The Philips PUS7000/12 series, there are various versions, in 50" is pretty good with making softer images look good.

There were being offered for £399 on Amazon recently.

Hello, thank you for having replied, the Philips PUS7000 / 12 series I can't find at € 399 on Italian shops, the cheapest is 49PUS7503 / 12 but costs € 519. In which online shop can I find it ?

What do you think of these TV ?
Samsung 50RU7450, LG 50um7450

For SD channels which is the best ever ? The philips you recommended to me ?

49" is IPS, avoid.
The 50PUS7000/12 can be different numbers too, so 50PUS7xxx/12.

The Samsung 50RU7400 is VA I think, someone else should chime in hear.

That was £399 in a lot of places over Black Friday, and a good set.

I presume that the 7450 is probably the same screen, different market.

Mate bought that from them for £399 on Friday, not got it yet, so can't comment on it, but when I saw it in the store it seemed a great set at far more than that.

49" is IPS, avoid.
The 50PUS7000/12 can be different numbers too, so 50PUS7xxx/12.

The Samsung 50RU7400 is VA I think, someone else should chime in hear.

That was £399 in a lot of places over Black Friday, and a good set.

I presume that the 7450 is probably the same screen, different market.

Mate bought that from them for £399 on Friday, not got it yet, so can't comment on it, but when I saw it in the store it seemed a great set at far more than that.

I thank you for the advice

The Philips 50PUS7xxx / 12 at the moment unfortunately I can't find it for 400 €

Yes, the Samsung 50RU7400 and the LG 50um7450 both have VA panels

There would also be the HISENSE H50U7BE

The other day on offer I also saw the Samsung RU8000 on ebay for € 399

But didn't I understand which of these TVs has the best video quality on SD channels ?

Last edited:
But didn't I understand which of these TVs has the best video quality on SD channels ?
I would avoid buying a UHD TV at all cost if this is important to you. Even the very best and most expensive TVs can only do so much polishing of a turd (so to speak).

What is your viewing distance and do you need wide viewing angles?

Also, what are you currently using? It may be an idea to stick with what you have until most of your viewing is at least in HD quality or higher.

I would avoid buying a UHD TV at all cost if this is important to you. Even the very best and most expensive TVs can only do so much polishing of a turd (so to speak).

What is your viewing distance and do you need wide viewing angles?

Also, what are you currently using? It may be an idea to stick with what you have until most of your viewing is at least in HD quality or higher.

Hi, thank you for answering me

Currently in the room I have a samsung 46f6500, but the TV I need for the living room, I have an old crt

The distance from the sofa to the TV is about 2 meters and 40 cm

No, I don't need wide viewing angles

Personally, which TV do you recommend ?

I forgot, I need the TV compatible with the HEVC H.265 codec

I understand that now the televisions are all in 4k, on the digital terrestrial where I live they obviously transmit HD channels, but different channels are still in SD, so I am interested in that the TV has a good quality even on SD channels. Of course it can also happen to see some 4k videos in streaming, but rarely.

You will be better off purchasing a second hand model, or a HD model for your needs.

LG and Sony still produce 49/50" HD models.

Every TV will decode h265 now.

If you do have to get an UHD model go for one with the best upscaling, sub 55" that will be the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R. On a budget for best upscaling look at Philips 7 series or Panasonic GX800 (may have different model number outside of the UK).

You will be better off purchasing a second hand model, or a HD model for your needs.

LG and Sony still produce 49/50" HD models.

Every TV will decode h265 now.

If you do have to get an UHD model go for one with the best upscaling, sub 55" that will be the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R. On a budget for best upscaling look at Philips 7 series or Panasonic GX800 (may have different model number outside of the UK).

Sorry for the delay, I thank you for the advice, very kind.

I have to wait for some offer or I have to increase the budget, for now the lowest prices I found are these:

Philips 50PUS7304 / 12 -- 543 €
Panasonic TX-50GX810E -- 591€

The Sony XG9005 certainly is the best of all but it exceeds the budget too, the Samsung QE49Q70RATXZT I found it for € 679, maybe I should wait for it to lower the price.

Regarding the HD models I don't know which one to choose, I wouldn't want to risk taking an old model.

Thanks again for everything.

Last edited:
Finding HD models should be easy. Here are some links I found of HD models listed on each manufacturer website:
https://www.sony.it/electronics/tv/t/televisori?type=full-hd
https://www.lg.com/it/tv-full-hd
https://hisenseitalia.it/categories...mart+TV]=&filter[Risoluzione]=FHD%201920x1080
https://www.tcl.eu/en/all-products?filter[serie.search_product_types][]=full_hd_hd

Those will all have less upscaling to do with regular TV so won't look as bad compared to UHD models.

If you do go with an UHD one, the Samsung Q70R at the price you found it for is by far best value. If you can't afford that model go for the Philips or Panasonic instead, sadly unlike the Samsung the Philips and Panasonic are not as good value, but fit your needs of wanting better upscaling on an UHD TV.

Finding HD models should be easy. Here are some links I found of HD models listed on each manufacturer website:
https://www.sony.it/electronics/tv/t/televisori?type=full-hd
https://www.lg.com/it/tv-full-hd
https://hisenseitalia.it/categories...mart+TV]=&filter[Risoluzione]=FHD%201920x1080
https://www.tcl.eu/en/all-products?filter[serie.search_product_types][]=full_hd_hd

Those will all have less upscaling to do with regular TV so won't look as bad compared to UHD models.

If you do go with an UHD one, the Samsung Q70R at the price you found it for is by far best value. If you can't afford that model go for the Philips or Panasonic instead, sadly unlike the Samsung the Philips and Panasonic are not as good value, but fit your needs of wanting better upscaling on an UHD TV.

Thanks very kind

Among the HD TVs which specific model do you recommend ?

Yes, the Samsung QE49Q7 unfortunately exceeds the budget.

Does Philips and Panasonic have lower build quality than Samsung ? I thought the opposite.

Does Philips and Panasonic have lower build quality than Samsung ? I thought the opposite.
The build quality is generally poor across the board now until you get to higher end models. Only Hisense seem to get praised for build quality on their budget and mid range models.

The build quality is generally poor across the board now until you get to higher end models. Only Hisense seem to get praised for build quality on their budget and mid range models.

Thanks, it's very kind of you

The HISENSE H50U7BE would have been perfect for me, it was sold and sent from amazon to 399 € if I remember correctly, but I think the upscaling is lower, the Samsung I think has a superior electronics.

Last edited:
Hisense seem a little behind the others with upscaling, but not by much.

Maybe the Sony are the best TV, but they are also the most expensive, I watched the Sony KDL-50WG663 but it costs a lot.

Instead the Sony 50WF665 which costs € 415 but I have no idea if it has a good upscaling.

Last edited:
It will make a much bigger difference watching SD on a HD model than it will an UHD one. So if you find another HD model that isn't a Sony upscaling doesn't matter as much as it will on an UHD model.

Maybe the Sony are the best TV, but they are also the most expensive, I watched the Sony KDL-50WG663 but it costs a lot.

Instead the Sony 50WF665 which costs € 415 but I have no idea if it has a good upscaling.

The WG series replaced the WF so scaling will be almost identical.

@Dodgexander, @zeppelino

I make a ranking based on the quality of the upscaling, is it correct according to you ?

I agree though an HD TV is too limited, maybe an FHD is better so if I want to see some high definition content I can do it.

Samsung QE49Q70RATXZT

Panasonic TX-50GX810E

Sony 50WF665

Philips 50PUS7304 / 12, Samsung 49Q60RAT, (at par)

Samsung 50RU7400, LG 50um7450 (at par)

HISENSE H50U7BE

For SD TV the Sony model would be top on my list but apart from that the priority you have for scaling is about right.

I'd rank the Panasonic GX800, Q60R and Philips 7 series about equal.

For SD TV the Sony model would be top on my list but apart from that the priority you have for scaling is about right.

I'd rank the Panasonic GX800, Q60R and Philips 7 series about equal.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Wow, Sony beats all about upscaling, I didn't expect it, it's a 2018 model but to me it's fine given the price, in fact if you know some other model of 2018 at € 400 with an upscaling even higher let me know, as long as it's compatible with HEVC H. 265, that's fine by me. And very important because in 2022 in Italy there will be the switchoff from January 2020 the channels go from mpeg2 to mpeg4 : https: //www.dday.it/redazione/33052/switchoff-incentivi-bonus-tv-domande-e- answers

Thank you very much for the advice.

Wow, Sony beats all about upscaling, I didn't expect it, it's a 2018 model but to me it's fine given the price, in fact if you know some other model of 2018 at € 400 with an upscaling even higher let me know, as long as it's compatible with HEVC H. 265, that's fine by me. And very important because in 2022 in Italy there will be the switchoff from January 2020 the channels go from mpeg2 to mpeg4 : https: //www.dday.it/redazione/33052/switchoff-incentivi-bonus-tv-domande-e- answers
That isn't H265, but H264 which TVs have supported on TVs now for about 20 years. Chances are your current TV supports it.

H265 is supported though, if it wasn't the TV wouldn't be able to play back Netflix titles in HD. H265 has been supported on most TVs now for 5 years.

I think something may have gotten lost in translation, but the reason the Sony will be superior is because it has less upscaling to do. If you have a total number of less pixels to "upscale" then the result is going to be better.

Just look at the difference between SD and UHD compared to FHD or HD.
1575385372914.png

Wouldn't a second hand plasma be worth considering, given the 2nd hand cost and better picture over a LED?

Hi, the plasma is hard to find, then I don't like the used TV, who knows in what conditions it arrives, in case it is better to wait for the oled prices to fall, the 48 inch oled should come out, even if we talk about the micro LED already they don't have the problem of the burn effect

That isn't H265, but H264 which TVs have supported on TVs now for about 20 years. Chances are your current TV supports it.

H265 is supported though, if it wasn't the TV wouldn't be able to play back Netflix titles in HD. H265 has been supported on most TVs now for 5 years.

I think something may have gotten lost in translation, but the reason the Sony will be superior is because it has less upscaling to do. If you have a total number of less pixels to "upscale" then the result is going to be better.

Just look at the difference between SD and UHD compared to FHD or HD.
View attachment 1227655

I apologize, unfortunately I translate with google, however the requirements for the switchoff are:

DVBT2 with 10-bit HEVC

I understand, Sony has the advantage just because it has a lower resolution being a Full HD and not a UHD 4k. Yes thank you I saw the graph, I knew the difference between the various resolutions.

As you explained to me if I decide for a 4k TV, I have to choose between Philips 50PUS7304 / 12 and Samsung 49Q60RAT, and going down in price the choice is between the Samsung 50RU7400 or LG 50um7450, I have no alternative.

I apologize, unfortunately I translate with google, however the requirements for the switchoff are:

DVBT2 with 10-bit HEVC

I understand, Sony has the advantage just because it has a lower resolution being a Full HD and not a UHD 4k. Yes thank you I saw the graph, I knew the difference between the various resolutions.

As you explained to me if I decide for a 4k TV, I have to choose between Philips 50PUS7304 / 12 and Samsung 49Q60RAT, and going down in price the choice is between the Samsung 50RU7400 or LG 50um7450, I have no alternative.
Okay, that is more clearer thanks.

I'd heavily suggest you hold off making a purchase until after the change has been made. The limitation here is not the ability for the TV to decode H265 video, but instead the requirements set on the TV tuner that will be required to pick out the signal to begin with.

You will be much safer just keeping what you have, and when the signal changes, buying a TV which you know comes with a supported tuners.

Support for decoding H265 at a software level may be very different from a tuner level and TVs sold in each country do have differences in the tuner included in the TV.

Therefore it would be my guess that in Italy, once the change happens (or during the change swap-over) there will be TVs sold that support this new format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom