1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best TV ever

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ixon, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Ixon

Ixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Which TV would you vote for as being the best TV ever in terms of picture, sound & style.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    They are all flawed.;)

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having 6 or 7 tvs in one year, all replaced due to common faults my favourite is the Tosh WH4218B. Great picture for a RP. Good sound and great looks. I am very happy with it.

4. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would have to go for the Toshiba XXZD26P fantastic picture. Great looking set, although not to everyones taste, and Progressive Scan. Five stars

Paul

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine.

Or which ever one someone will give me for free.

6. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shaunthedude,

Was prcing this TV up today. THinking of going down the RP route after been through th eSony scrolling bars problems. May of the RPs had really good pictures - how do you think it compares to normal CRT TVs ?

cheers

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the tvs I had before getting the Tosh rp were crt. The picture is not as crisp and the viewing angle is not as good as a crt so you will have to look at your sitting arrangments. BUT, this model has a verry good viewing angle compared to the other RPs I looked at. However, in my opinion the difference in screen size makes up for this. I use mine mainly for dvds and the picture is FANTASTIC and just as good as the crt models I had. tv programmes are only slightly worse than a crt and video is slightly worse again but still very watchable. I have a load of old bw films I taped of the tv and I can watch them without complaint. Overall I am very happy and would certainly go with RP again. I hope this helps. Anything else just ask!

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The best TV ever is probably a year or two away. It will be probably be a direct view LCD set - rather like the excellent Panasonic TX22LT2 - but larger, less expensive, and with an inbuilt DVB tuner.

As an LCD set, it will have absolutely perfect geometry, absolutely no convergence errors, and absolutely no visible refresh rate, even when driven with a 50hz signal. It will weigh substantially less than CRT TVs and will use a fraction of the power.

By the time it comes out, the contrast from the LCD panel will be a little better than currently available. In addition, as the above Panasonic does, it will utilise a system whereby the brightness of the backlight varies with picture brightness to increase the subjective contrast.

If size and price aren't an issue, then the best TV currently available is probably the said TX22LT2.

9. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i would say the sony kv36fs70,
    the picture quality is great with the help of the 100drc the picture is awesome, the sound is also very good with crystal clear sound and its just a great tv.
    another good tv is the small bedroom size one its the panasonic tx-21ck1 the picture is good but the sound is much better you cant improve much on this model due to the fact its a bedroom size tv.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think this is probably very tue. Nothing on the market currently does the quality thing.

A nice arguement. I suspect 2/3 years down the line we will look back at CRT as being old hat. Plasma will be on the way out and Nigels suggestion might well be the leading technology.

One of the most eminent research, ex ICI, said to me the other day, if you mant to make money invest in LCDs. It will be the biggest growth area in technology.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Loewe Aconda, brilliant picture, and even looks good switched off.

Wouldn’t mind a large plasma when the prices come down a bit more.

12. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Philips widescreen 32PW6332.

Unfortunately I got rid of it thinking a Panasonic would be better,how wrong I was.

My current Philips widescreen 32PW6006 comes very close though.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Which is why, at present, my advice to anyone looking to buy is, buy a Dinosaur CRT cheap and be prepared to ditch it in 2-3 years when something really new (which may be LCD) hits the streets.