The best time to buy a TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Dodgexander, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Often people come on here with a set budget, but they may not realise that depending on which time you choose to buy, you can get more for your money.

This is a pattern repeated every year in the TV industry and it evolves around the new release of models which is usually between spring and summer of each year.

At this moment in time (30/07/2017) here in the UK we have mostly missed the boat now on 2016 models. Some rare deals can be found, but mostly all the 2016 models that were the best bang for buck have now sold out.

To illustrate difference in pricing, I've grabbed a couple of screenshots of a couple popular tv's price history from pricespy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what does this mean? No two years are the same and pricing can differ between model ranges/inflation/currency etc but it tells us if you buy at the wrong time, you could be paying a lot for less.

e.g

Now you can buy the Samsung 55MU6400 for close to £900. Would you like to buy that TV now, or wait until prices drop on better TVs later in time? You could get the KS7000 for close to that price last year, which is a much, much better TV.

Would you buy one of the new 2017 OLEDs now, or wait for them to get almost half in price?

So you might think, well the MU6400 is a newer model, why not get a newer TV? This is true, but with TVs there is a big difference between budget, mid range and high range products. So much so that if you can get a new budget TV from this year or an older higher end TV from last year, its clear which is better.

Do not spend more for less! Buy at the right time instead!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I'm actually waiting for the price of the Sony 75ZD9 to fall more. It was released in about October last year at £7,000, and it is still £6,600. I'm hoping that it will fall to less than six grand .... But I completely take your point about, for most televisions, buying in about February or March.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Yeah, perhaps I should have touched on it in my post but this mostly applies to 55" TVs. 55" being the most popular size, at least here in the UK. Because its the most popular size you see the most reductions/sales.

You do get discounts on 65" and 49"/50" TVs with the same pattern, but discounts aren't as huge.

With 75", especially in the UK its a bit of a niche still. They don't sell that many models so they don't go down in price as much. Perhaps in countries where more of them are sold such as the USA this isn't the same, but that's the way it seems to be here!

4. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I'm moving to America!

5. benmbe

benmbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Good evening SonOfSJ,
    I purchased my 75''ZD9 mid May this year from a Sony Dealer in Basingstoke UK £6,499 Great deal When speaking to the Manager and colleagues in the store I mentioned the following;
    I had checked the same product in Currys PC World, John Lewis and other online stores and the price for the ZD9 was £6,599.

I mentioned that although I did my homework by visiting other stores and my short list was Panasonic or Sony, and once my mind was made up I would always go direct to the Main dealer (Sony.) the main reason for this is that you get a better customer service they appreciated my honest statement.

So the breakdown was as follows: An extra £100 off for the TV / £100 off for the 4K UHG Player, £100 off for the soundbar and sub & £40 off for the high quality HDMI Lead.

I was very impressed with the service and home delivery by these guys and then gave them a great feedback to their Boss.

From experience over many years: if you are a loyal customer they will always give you a good and fair service....... I Genuinely Hope you get your screen soon. Keep in touch with your progress.

Kind regards Mark

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. TheGodPlant

TheGodPlant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You could have had the 75ZD9 for well under £6000 using the Curry's glitch over the weekend. Best time to buy was arguably the past few days :p would have worked out about £4770 after returning the 24" model used to get the deal.

7. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    @benmbe Thank you for your kind words. I'll be back here, or send you a PM, whenever I do buy my 75ZD9!

@TheGodPlant Yes, woe is me! First, I did hear about the Curry's glitch , but only after it had ended, or had nearly ended. On the SonyZD9 owners' thread, they seemed to be speaking of it only in reference to the 65" size. Then, when I went to the Curry's link, it was back to normal prices for the 65" and the 75" sizes, damn!

8. gadgetsherif

gadgetsherif
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering Samsung UE55MU7070. It's £819 at Currys now. Do you think the price will drop more?

9. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Probably not as it’s a Currys exclusive and almost at end of life.

Do you need the Freesat tuners? If not, the mu7000 is £50 cheaper at Richer Sounds.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Yeah, very small chance it will drop anymore. I'd avoid buying anything from Currys personally.

11. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you can get the MU7000 cheaper then buy this instead, the only difference is the extra tuner and colour, that's it.

John Lewis or Richer Sounds are the best for aftersales and warranties, they will price match if you contact them, use Pricespy.co.uk:

https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-ue55mu7000--p4234695

12. gadgetsherif

gadgetsherif
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all. I do like the colour of mu7070 and was told that it comes with newer remote

13. gadgetsherif

gadgetsherif
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just saw reviews regarding the viewing angles of these...apparently they are horrible if you are sat just few degrees out...did not notice it when I was checking it at Currys.
    Is there anything better than mu7000 at this price at the moment (around £800 mark)?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    No, there isn't. If you go for a model with wider viewing angles you lose elsewhere with things like screen uniformity, blacks and contrast.

15. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    30 degrees from side to side and then you would notice the wash out on a VA panel, but I also find this distance related as well, further you are the more you notice it.

XE85 from Sony is about the same, and cheaper:

https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/sony-bravia-kd-55xe8596--p4141741

16. gadgetsherif

gadgetsherif
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there is no win win situation for that budget...Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Well, looks like this has been true again for the third year (TV season) running. In fact the discounts on TV ranges are almost exactly the same.

Now is the time where people can pick off crazy bargains and its only looking like it's going to be even better next year.

The only company that doesn't overcharge for their new models a lot seems to be Hisense, everyone else prices them sometimes as much as 50% more than it will be a year later.