1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best thing about Thunderbirds (the movie) is...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    ...Oh. Unlike Van Helsing which had a redeeming trailer on it, there is nothing to redeem the Thunderirds movie DVD.
    The problem for me is that a large and enthusiastic proportion of the Thuderbirds audience is aged between 35 and 45. Blokes like me who appreciated the pyromaniacal brilliance of Dereck Meddings or maybe girls of a similar age who fancied Scott, Alan or most favourite, it seems, Virgil.
    Why not pitch a movie which is going to satisfy the new young audience but retain some appeal for the original audience?
    Movies like Shrek, Toy Story, Ice Age and Sharks Tale all appeal to kids but also have an adult angle which mean dads like me can bear to sit through them a few dozen times. Problem is that all those movies are animated and there are very few non-animated movies which succeed in appealing to kids and adults in roughly equal measure.
    The old favourite Wizard of Oz seems to do reasonably well. More recently
    Cats and Dogs missed the target by only a small margin for me. While generally the Muppet movies are good, as was Cat In The Hat.
    But Thunderbirds aims it's sights squarely at the 5 year olds to the exclusion of adults. The original notion that 'The Hood' could control people's minds was done fairly sinisterly, with Kirano in real pain when being taken over.
    In the movie, it's done for comic effect. And what was wrong with the original design of the Thunderbirds?. Nothing in my opinion. Change for change's sake.
    And why all the childish Looney Tunes sound effects dotted throughout? Like when someone is suprised, for example.
    Sorry, but like Van Helsing, this is a movie aimed at kids with very little for any adult with half a brain.
    You can rate it as a kids movie if you like, but I think the producers aimed at one very young age group instead of a broader range.
    And I switched it off after about 40 minutes and consigned the DVD to the same box as Boo Bah and the Fimbles. It's didn't even make the Tweenies box.

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Stuart, i haven't seen it yet. but from what i've seen/read/heard opinions on this film are very divided. I cant say that i'm fired up by it :rolleyes: . Thunderbirds was my fav show as a small boy - i loved it.

I recently bought them on DVD and i have to say they have not let me down. i dont watch them thinking that "it was much better when i was smaller", i watch them and still enjoy them - they really have stood the test of time, unlike so many other things. It never patronised kids, it told grown up futuristic stories in a way that eveeryone could enjoy. spent three hours watching episodes last saturday i was in my element- i loveall the hard drinking in the afternoon on tracy island and the smoking!!! its F.A.B!!!

I know that Mark Kermode (a reviewer i really like) has seen it four times and loves it - but i dont know if he was a fan of the original.

i hope its not as bad as you say :rolleyes:

Gary

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think thats where alot of kids films go wrong, treating them as if they are stupid.

I've seen this several times over the summer as my 3 year old is a big thunderbirds fan (thanks to this film), and its not a bad film, certainly not as bad as people say. Sure the whole kids rescue the adults plot is weak, and some of the dialog is poor, but the love put into the film does show through - even if it is misses the point in places, e.g.,the silly sound effects.

I think if Frakes was given another shot at this, and was allowed to make a film concentrating on the thunderbirds performing a big rescue, it could be a really good summer block buster.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I enjoyed it. There was homage to the old Super matianation style whenthe monorail crashed (IIRC - saw it at the cinema in the summer) and there were some other clever bits as well - such as the puppet hands replacing the human hands in close ups (as opposed to the other way round in the TV series...)

I think you should maybe watch it again and look for these parts...you may well just go "oh yeah...I remember" like I did...also didn't think there was enough shots of Tracey Island in the film...

There was a big article in the Mail on Sunday when the film was released explaining the vehicle changes...to cut a long story short, they based the changes on the new VW Beetle...look at T2 in the movie and you'll see what I mean...they explained that the vehicles had evolved and not changed...

I thought the Cat In The Hat was ****e BTW...

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I enjoyed it too and I'm a massive fan of the original series...

6. purplefoot

purplefoot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it doesn't have "The Mole" you can count me out! :D

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    How was the directing? Im interested coz it was Jonathan Frakes (aka, Will Ryker from Star trek TNG)

I kind of hope he succedes and continues to do well. Life is usualy hard for ex star trek actors!

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does...

Very good - there is a review in the DVD review section. DVD gets 8/10 (with the movie getting an 8 as well...). The review goes some way to explain the directing of the movie...

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    You can view the trailer from the link in the review.
    The review can be found Here

10. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Phil, your link doesn't work...

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned: