1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Thing About Flat Screens?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by HowieC, Jul 13, 2005.

1. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    An ex-colleague of mine now works for a major manufacturer and was present at a recent manufacturers conference.
    He was stunned that the feature of flat screens (LCD/Plasma) that is most exciting the manufacturing big wigs is....... wait for it....

no not HD or quality or anything like that...

No the best thing since sliced bread according to the manufacturers is..

The huge reduction in shipping costs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes folks you can stuff more of them in a plane/truck.

There were reps from a couple of the large retailers present and they were going into raptures about how much more room they have in their warehouses and stockrooms.

Seriously though quite a lot of R&D is going in to making the kit lighter, and this will undoubtedly lead to sets being produced in one mega factory somewhere with the cheapest labour costs and shipped all over the globe.

Give it a few years and we'll be seeing posts like
    "My 75" Pana has folded in half, what can I do about it?"

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    It isnt really suprising that business big wigs are looking at the top and bottom line of the business rather than the technology behind it. I doubt Mr J Sainsburys board room meetings are discussing the current quality of spanish saffron.

I thought the quote from Buz Aldredge (sp?) was the best when asked how safe he was feeling about going up in the space rocket and his answer was along the lines of "How would you feel knowing you were going in a craft made of 360,000 piece and each one has been made by the lowest bidder".

99% of companies are in the market to make money not to progress technology for the sake of progress itself.