The BEST sound quality????

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DistortionNat, Sep 18, 2007.

1. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hey guys,
    Which MP3 player or brand of MP3 player does everyone rekon has the BEST sound quality.
    Im looking for seriously heavy and CLEAR bass response with full EQ control.
    I play a lot of DJ mixes so need to be able to skip swiftly through tracks and also be able to resume playback.

Ive seen quite a lot of positive things said about the Sony products. Thing is though I do hate all this nonsense about HAVING to use stupid software when things should be a simple drag and drop affair. BUT, saying that, if its a toss up between ease of use and sound quality Ill go with the sound quality any day.

2. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    I take it you mean portable only.

Heavy bass and EQ does = sound quality as such. But the new iPods seem to have good enough EQ's (and individual tracks can have their own EQ settings too).

As for the new Sony's, they are generally considered to have good sound quality and the newer ones coming out soon don't require any special software - just drag and drop i think. A couple of things though - Sony don't currently make any HDD based devices, so they have limited space. But most importantly, for you anyway, is gapless playback - you really need to go iPod if you listen to a lot of DJ mixes, its the only portable MP3 player worth buying that fully supports it as far as i know.

3. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Best sound quality would be a DAP with digital output, so you can use high quality DAC conversion. ie iriver H120/H140, which I have and is brilliant:thumbsup: with external DAC.

If the unit has good sound quality you won't need EQ.

4. rommi

rommi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You've really opened up a can of worms there. I've spent forever trying to decipher which DAP has the best sound quality from forum posts, but you just can't. And unless you Bill Gates, then its unlikely you can afford them all to back to back test them :)

The Sony and Apple DAP units suffer from EU volume limiters, so thats one thing that is for sure. My 2nd Gen Nano has the volume up near full volume all the time even with IEMs, but it just about works.

My w880i Sony Phone, and the Cowon DAP I have both have better sound, but for practicle reasons I still use the Nano. I hated the click wheel at first, but I have grown to love it. Its extremely quick/intuitive. I hate that iTunes locks me in also, but still for usability its great.

In terms of sound quality, from what I can "read", its the Trekstor Vibes (which isnt flash based, but mini HD) and the Zune. Yes the humble Zune actually sounds awesome, perhaps when they bring out Zune 2 that looks a bit sexier we might all get one. Then the Samsung players. The Sony is supposed to be good according to folks on here, but there are few A/B comparisons.

FWIW, I was very dissapointed to hear that the new iPod Nano (3g) sounds very slightly inferior to the 2nd G Nano. I was praying for an improvement.
    I'm waiting on the new Sony 818 to hit the UK and I am going into the Sony shop with my Nano and a track on thumbdrive to do an A/B listen. (Then walk out and order a japanese version to remove the volume limit if it sounds great :) )

5. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That sounds cool.

I see, so thats for DJ mixes that are split up into individual tracks....handy, although most of the ones I play are just 1 big MP3 file.

Thanks.

6. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, portable.

7. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

Right ok, Ive seen a lot of people rate those I-River players. The digital out would be no use to me with headphones though would it. Surely thats only for connecting up to a digital audio system?

8. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Right now that is a BIG problem for me. A few years ago when I was looking to buy a walkman minidisc player I listened to the Sony range and the volume on all of them was rubbish - far too quiet. I bought a Sharp.

I had a W810i which I used as my Walkman for some time and it did sound pretty good. I dont have it anymore though - I sold it when my phone company upgraded me to a K810i which sounds useless.

I see a lot of good things being said about those Cowon D2 players as well....[/QUOTE]

Yep its a difficult one. Didnt know about the Zune... most people just laugh when you say "Zune". So Samsungs are alright too then??

So where do you order your import players then to avoid big brother from protecting us from ourselves? Also, where do I get an I-River player, I dont see them anywhere anymore - or am I just not looking hard enough??

9. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    You can override the volume limiter on the iPod by downloading a small application called gopod.

http://gopod.free-go.net/

10. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    Another vote for the Sony 800 series here if you can live with no gapless and only 8GB.

I have got an old Sony HD5 which sounds great too, but the new ones are better still. I have got the 808 which requires SonicStage, but have just ordered the new 818 in case the 808 does not get the firmware upgrade to drag and drop.

I have also got a new iPod Classic, which the Sony beats hands down for sound quality, but not for capacity.

11. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Cool, thanks.
    I have heard a lot of very positive comments regarding the Sony 800 series. I am starting to seriously consider them now. 8GB is well enough for me.

12. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    One more thing.... I am REALLY put off by these EU volume restrictions. Can anyone recommend a good online shop to import from?

13. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    I am not sure, but if you were to go for the Sony, I doubt you would have to worry about it. My UK modelisvery loud with the standard isolating headphones. I never have to use anything above half volume, even on the tube!

14. Desidodo

Desidodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only had two player the Sony HD5 and A808, so I can only speak about them. I used to think that the HD5 sounded great, until I got the A808 and I can honestly say that it sounds the best out of the two.

Some people have commented on the EU volume limiter,but on the A808 you can switch it off. As far as I know although the new Ipods have various EQ settings, you can't "tweak" so you can personalise it, whereas with the A808 you can. Now that the "new" A8100 series players are coming out, you can now drag and drop music which make it a lot more user-friendly than the old one.

By the way has anybody else noticed that everyone is raving about the I-Touch with regards to it's other functions and looks, but no one ever say anything about the sound quality. Style over substance - you decide !

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    One step forward, two steps back

Why on earth would they get rid of gapless playback?! Arrgh!

16. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Oh really!
    How is that done then? Hack or just simple menu switch??

17. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    I don't think that Sony have ever releaseda player which can do gapless on MP3, only on Atrac.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Well yes that is true, see my old Sony HD3

Nevertheless my point still stands. MP3 can be gapless, for example LAME encoded tracks

19. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    iPod plays MP3 gapless perfectly. That said, today was the first day when i have noticed just how flat the iPod sounds. I tried it in my new car with my new stereo and it was quite depressingly dull compared to the Sony HD1 i tried. In fact i was quite shocked by how lifeless the iPod's sound is. Still, i still think it overall still the best MP3 player on the market.

20. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

Can you please tell me how this is done. I have looked around and cant find anything.

Cheers.

21. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    If you use US firmware on the iriver units it removes the cap. Thing is volume cap is useless (and in fact annoying) if you use canals it'll be loud even under EU cap. And if you use enifficient phones you'll need more output. And if you still want it louder and better sound quality, just use a portable headphone amp.

22. Desidodo

Desidodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under common settings, just turn AVLS off !