Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

the best sound for a small lounge?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ste_hewson, Jan 9, 2002.

1. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what size speaker sould be preferable for alounge around 12'x13' with a working area of around 12'x10' (due to stairs being in the lounge).

would floorstanders be ok as they will sit fairly close to the back wall with one of them in the corner. or should I opt for smaller stand mounted front speakers. I'm quite keen to use bi-polar for the rear channels.

Or should I simply opt for a sub/sat combo, perhaps liike the Mordaunt Short Premiere.

I'm keen to have a nice clean sound, not just loud and boomy.

Any thoughts?!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is 14x15 and i had i set of mission 773e floorstanders.
    I have just sold them and bought a pair of B&w 601 s3 stand mounts, and in my opinion sound much better in a small room.The B&W 602s3 is slightly bigger if you like more bass, but they do me fine. The 773e's are a nice speaker, it's just that they seem a little big (as most floor standers will) in a small room. I use the mission 77ds bipoles for surrounds, they will do the trick

3. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In a small room such as yours a sub/sat system would be ideal, as they do not take up much space but will have enough oomph to fill the room.

KEF eggs would be the ideal option if your budget can stretch to them, as they are generally considered to be spot on :cool:

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a guy on here who is selling a pair of kef eggs and stands for £450. go to the for sale section i think there still 4 sale

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry the full set 2005av for 450

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will have trouble placing floorstanders in your room, both for sound quality and looks...

Good satelites or monitor size, (1 cubic foot), with a sub will be the better solution...

Make sure the AV receiver you get has a choice of crossover frequencies that match the speakers you choose...

They now recomend direct speakers for surround, but if they are too close, bi-polar might sound better, (I don´t think you will have a problem with speakers with good dispersion, like the KEF eggs)...

7. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately my sofa sits almost flush to the back wall so thought that bi-poles would probably work better for the surrounds.

I have heard the KEF eggs and was impressed by them, and they do look pretty tasty!

would the mission cinema 71/72 packages suit?!

My main emphasis is on movies though I do still want to enjoy music. Something the eggs did quite well considering the compromises.

8. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the reciever i'm currently using is the kenwood KRF5030 5x80 RMS. Though I will be looking to replace this in the not too distant future once my speaker set up is finalised

9. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know your budget but i would go for the M&K K-3 system. If its a bit much swap the K-7s for the K-5s. It will blow the KEF system out the water. Its has tri-poles at the rear ( if you wanna show off down the pub). :) Good Luck

10. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no... can't stretch that far. GF says new carpet, sofa etc is next on the list. :(