1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Rear Projection Tv??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JPC, Jan 19, 2002.

1. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what is the best rear projection TV you can get then??
    40 up to 60 inch!!
    Please help, as its driving me nuts about which to buy!
    Regards JPC

2. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on:

1) Whats your budget?
    2) What will you be watching most of, DVD or Tele?
    3) Do you care what it looks like?
    4) Do you have seperate AV Amp?

3. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on:

1) Whats your budget?.................... £2,500,

2) What will you be watching most of, DVD or Tele?..... Tele,

3) Do you care what it looks like?....... The picture YES! Looks NO!

4) Do you have seperate AV Amp?......... no, but Im interested in getting one.

Regards JPC

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go and demo either the new 43" Hitachi or Sony KP 44-PS2

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best? Try the Sony KF50SX100 at about £5000.

It uses LCD panels to make the image and has a small case.

The picture is easily the best from a RPTV that I have seen.

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on:

1) Whats your budget?.................... £2,500,

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Agree with Oreo'. Plus the minor point that (for once) both reviewers and potential buyers on here have said you must be far coughing mad to by a lame piece like this - cost doesn't = quality. Seen it. Not grand. Steer clear!

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JPC i forgot to mention, i have the same budget as you, however i will be going for the Toshiba 42WH18B. This is because:

1) I am in a temp renting, so i dont if my next place will hold a 50-60" TV.

2) I watch a lot of DVDs and the Toshiba has component inputs (i.e bst pic quality for DVDs)

3) I am getting a seperate amp.

4) I got Allders to price match it at £1700 with free delieryand a 5 year warranty.

Bottom line, only use the magazines and ppl like me as a guide to narrw down your choices. Once you have find a dealer that sells the TV you want (not comet or dixons etc.) Take some DVDs, ask them to set it up with a direct On-digital/sky digital source, do not accpet a source thats running serial or parrallel. Take friend with you for a second opinion, and spend several hours lookingat your options nd weighing up the pros and cos, helps if you right them down. eg:

1) Pic quality with TV
    2) Pic qualty with DVD
    3) Pic Quality with VHS
    4) Looks
    5) Value
    6) Reliability, have a lookon forums on these to see if any lon erm pobs with your potential TV.
    7) Ooohhh factor, gimmicks etc (e.g y girlfreind wanted me to et a TV with Piic in Pic)

there are more depending on your on preferences, and what you want from the TV. Put it like this you would you ever buy a car without giving it an extensive test drive?

Happy hunting and let us now how you get on.

9. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oreoboy13
    The Toshiba 42WH18B looks very good to me, excelent write up in January's issue of "Home Cinema choice".

I see Robertsons online are selling it for £1,499 with free Toshiba SD110E DVD player thrown in (untill end of this month)...... and its free delivery!!
    Have a look at..............

http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/acatalog/Robertsons_Online_Projection_TV_33.html?dealtime

However your 5 years warrentee is worth quit a bit..... I hadnt thought of Allders!!

What about the lenses on these things, don't they get dusty and need cleaning??

Many thanks for your help and guidence.

JPC

10. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt know about the dusty lens, where did you hear that?

I wouldnt trust Robertsons-online to get run over properly, let alone give me proper after sales care. Have a good look at past posts 36ZP18P thread to see how bad those types of sites customer care is.

The five year warranty is by the by as they are legally required to repair/replace a TV for up 6 years, irrelevant of any said warranty/guarantee.

The Allders deal has the free DVD player aswell, i dont mind paying an extra £200 for the peace of mind.

11. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oreoboy13
    Thats a very good deal you have from Allders, if it includes the DVD player and 5 Year Guarentee.....

Was it Allders Online or Your local branch that you struck the deal with? and who did you price match with ??

Ive narrowed the field down to the Toshiba 42WT18B 42" or the Hitachi Illumina C43WP910TN... now.

Ive tried Allders Online for a £1,700 deal for the Tosh, but they dont seem to want to know!!........ I might try my Local Allders in Coventry tomorrow.

Im a retired Service engineer and during my varied Career Ive serviced equipment similer to Rear Projection TVs (projecting a Miro Image from a CRT onto a large screen via lenses and mirrors..... it was used for viewing and taking hard copies of computer generated images and microfilm)..........

The main problems we had were dust on lenses and a film that covered mirrors over a period of time....... this was worse in an area were people smoked........ thats the only reason why i asked about dust on lenses and i did also mean to include mirrors.

Regards JOHN P C

12. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone 08452340139

Say you are interested in the 42WH18B and tell them you would like them to price match the deal on www.audiovisiononline.com