The Best Network Media player for HD MKV

borouge

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have the popcorn hour A110 which is pretty good, but recently I can't play HD mkv with high bitrate without stuttering on some scenes.

What would be the best Media player for future HD 1080p mkv videos and HD AVCHD( optional)??. I will only use external HD so network streaming is not that important. I recently bought Panasonic HDC TM700 and my popcorn cant even play the 1080/50p videos from the camcorder.

is popcorn A200 much better than A110 or is there a better choice out there??

Note: Since I have a mac, Mac OS Extended HD format read support is a must.

Regards,,

Last edited:
I tested a 1080p@60Hz sample from the Panasonic HDC TM700 on a Realtek player (Asus O!Play, Mede8er, PlayOnHD) and the video played without issue.

I'd guess the A200 and WDTV Live would handle it as well, high bit-rate H.264/MKV shouldn't be a problem for any of the players.

I was also thinking about the A200 but I'm not sure how much more powerful it's than the A110. is it worth upgrading from the A110 or should I look for other players.

Well you could always run the videos that dont play through Handbrake and generate x264/MP4 or x264/MKV videos which will play on the A110. Your unlikely to notice the difference with picture quality though converting videos using the High Profile preset can take time.

The A200 uses the Sigma 8643 chipset which is more powerful than the Sigma chip in the A110. If you wanted to find out for sure that it can handle the video from the Panasonic cam, ask on the PCH forums and post a sample video for someone to try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom