• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The best impedance setting for a NAD 3240PE

distraught

Standard Member
I have a NAD 3240PE amp which I haven’t used for a number of years but I’m now bringing it back into service.
I’m thinking of pairing it up with a pair of Mordaunt & Short Avant 902i speakers but I’m unsure about the impedance setting for the amp.
The nominal impedance for the speakers is 4-8 ohms.
The amp has two impedance settings – 4 ohm (NORMAL) and 8 ohm (HIGH)
The spec for the amp says the following:

All NAD amps are designed to produce maximum power output into impedances of 2 to 6 ohms at the 4 ohm (NORMAL) setting of the amp’s impedance selector.

If you are using a single pair of speakers whose true impedance is above 6 ohms at all frequencies, you can optimise the amp for maximum power delivery by re-setting the switch to 8 ohm.

CAUTION: If the impedance switch is set to 8 ohms with speakers whose true impedance is less than 6 ohms the amp may overheat and shut down when operated at high output levels.

So my instinct is to keep the amp impedance at 4 ohms and hope to receive universal agreement on this?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom