• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The best headphones £5.99 can buy

Jaded1

Yes this is a serious thread but I'm not looking recommendations.

I already own two sets of AKG headphones for serious listening and just needed a cheap third set for on the fly listening. Something that I didn't care if they got lost, wet, broke, stolen, whatever so I bought a set of these from HMV expecting nothing decent but ended up pleasantly surprised!

Of course at the price you are not going to get anything audiophile like but sound for pound these are so good I've just bought a second pair for backup!

I can remember a time in the days of the Walkman when spending anything less than £20 on cheap headphones was the easiest way to throw money in the bin. It's amazing how quick technology moves!

For anyone curious on the sound. Bass dynamics well forget it these are the cheapest of the cheap after all. There is bass there but it's muted and quite a way back in the mix. Mid and upper sound frequencies everything is pretty decent. Even at full volume they don't get splashy or messy and bring out a fair bit of detail in the process. They are sturdy for the price too. My first pair are a year old and still going strong. The occasional interference from the cable if you push and pull the jack about a bit but other than that no complaints!

DSC_0353.JPG

Jaded1

Just a quick update as I opened the new ones because I lost the older set. It seems updates have been made as there's a lot more bass on the new pair.

Anyone looking for a decent cheap set of ear phones. Look no further than these.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom