1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The BEST for £1500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MJeeves, Feb 15, 2001.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I have a 2nd Generation Toshiba 3107 Region 1 player and loadsa Region 1 discs. However, with Region 2 discs now beginning to take off I wanted to upgrade my player for a Multi-Region High End progressive scan player. I have always liked the picture from my Toshiba (very, very sharp) on my 40 RPTV so I was thinking of staying with Toshiba.

I have heard great things about the new Toshiba SD900E, and I am eagerly awaiting someone to find an RCE and Manual Switching fix for it. But I have also heard good things about the Pioneer DV737, the Arcam DV88 and the Sony 9000ES. Personally, and this is just my humble opinion, I find the Sony's a bit soft picture wise. So I guess what I'm really asking is which DVD player has the BEST (sharp, clean, clear, 3D) picture available for £1500. My next priority is reliability and compatibility, followed closely by audio quality, build quality and features.

Please help with your feedback and comments,

Thankyou and it is great to be here!

------------------
    M.J.

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Anyone?

------------------
    M.J.

3. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i were in your shoes I would look at Marantz and Denon for quality and build
    If you stick to Tosh then you will find Techtronics should have the RCE sorted out now with a fix.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It appears that Toshiba's are now leading the pack in terms of picture quality / resolution.
    In fact they have been always very good at that.
    So why don't you head down to your dealer and do some auditioning of the players of your choice?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Toshiba now, period. Do compare it with Arcam dv88 (especially after the april (?) ps upgrade) for your own satisfaction. View at Bristol this weekend, it might be there?

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Does anyone know what the latest is with an R.C.E. and Manual Switching fix for the Toshiba SD900e? Also, what are the Toshiba Multi-Region players like with regard to compatibility with discs of both Regions 1 and 2?

Thanks,

------------------
    M.J.

7. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi MJ! Techtronics will have a fix ready for the 900E in a few weeks. I too am interested in buying this fantastic player. I cant wait to have it!