The best floor standers money can buy! Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 Floor Standing Speakers

rprop

Novice Member
Hi guys, newbie here.

I got offered a demo set of PL300 for 3500GBP and my question is are these still great speakers for this price? They have been out for years and maybe there are better speakers available for this price?

rprop

Novice Member
Cool, I always get worried that AV shops know that I'm easy game :)

One last question: Piano Ebony vs Santos Rosewood

Craig uk

Cool, I always get worried that AV shops know that I'm easy game :)

One last question: Piano Ebony vs Santos Rosewood

Can't go wrong with either. Ebony would be my choice though.

rprop

Novice Member
Having some last minute doubts.

As far as I can tell these speakers can not be configured for active crossover, so am I better off putting the money towards a speaker than can?

TomScrut

Having some last minute doubts.

As far as I can tell these speakers can not be configured for active crossover, so am I better off putting the money towards a speaker than can?
Most speakers cannot be configured to go active, I aren't sure why you would be under the impression they could be without surgery.

i_raz

I'm not sure if you have seen these in real life but they are very big speakers and you will need a decent sized room to get the best out of them.

My brother in law has these and they look awesome. The build quality on them is fantastic.

rprop

Novice Member
I thought top end speakers would be able to switch between active and passive without surgery.
Room is 4mX6m

Doomlord_uk

A bit off topic, but what happened to custodian/kurchatov???

Doomlord_uk

Speakers can be bi/tri-amped and, depending on the driver complement, that might be similar to being active - but the real difference in active speakers is that the amplifcation comes after the crossover, not before, and typically both amps and x-overs are built into the speakers. Very few speakers indeed can be configured for both (the only ones I can think of are early some Sony and Technics speakers, that came with external crossovers as an option). Some high-end Japanese brands, eg Sony ES and Luxman, also made external active crossovers for third-party speakers but I don't think that was very common... it's an expensive way to do things!

Nick1881

Some speakers can probably easily be changed to active, I know I could easily turn my PMC OB1i into active, if only I could afford to build 4 more NC400's then figure out how to do the active crossover configuration/setup.

TomScrut

If you must go active then Linn and Naim speakers can be taken active pretty easily and I think some Kudos speakers can be taken active as they have external passive crossovers iirc but could be wrong.

I think the benefits of active are normally outweighed by the downside in practice when talking about a home environment where sensitivity isn't an issue. One of the biggest arguments on the Linn forum is about lesser amp active vs better amp passive. With a 3 way speaker design you basically need at least three times the amplification so when all is said and done you need to think about whether you think you will be buying 6 or 8 channels of amplification that can do a 3500 pound pair of speakers justice, compared to two channels. Which on a 3500 quid speaker it would be a very expensive thing to do, because hypothetically you would want a good (probably expensive) amp. Once you have multiplied that by three or four you could have bought either better speakers a better amp or both. The best way to do active IMO is internally.

TomScrut

Some speakers can probably easily be changed to active, I know I could easily turn my PMC OB1i into active, if only I could afford to build 4 more NC400's then figure out how to do the active crossover configuration/setup.

There is that, and I suspect that comes under what I called 'surgery' in another post, even if it's just unplugging crossovers and then running speaker cables straight to the driver looms. The crossover etc is possibly the more difficult thing as it is a case of finding an active crossover that is good enough in quality yet configurable enough to work with the speakers.

ManBat

Im still a serial demo demon - kicking tires for fun and buying the odd upgrade here and there. At this price point the market has some excellent speakers for all tastes, sizes and room dimensions. I specifically choose these for their range and depth of use for both two channel stereo, and home cinema. The extended range of surround sound/speakers for a 5.1. system, plus a monster of a centre speaker are great. They excel in both these areas.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

kbfern

Distinguished Member
As you say you won't get them for £3.3k as there are probably only a handful of owners in the UK so doubt you could find them second hand. The 100.33 are also very nice as an alternative Large standmount which could be had for about £2.5k.I have seen and heard these myself and they are fabulous for the money.

Epic Home Cinema Projectors

TomScrut

They look awesome value for money and I like how they have EQ in the crossover and active as an option.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky and ITV agree long term deal
  • By Andy Bassett