The Best Films Since 2000: Future Movie Classics (A Dynamic List)

zubidoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently re-watching all of the films that I've seen since 2000 (plus checking out some that I've never seen) so that I can re-look at these films with a new and critical eye. Some movies have remained classics in my eyes, others aren't quite as good as I remember them being, and some I've actually liked a lot more this time around. These movies are prime examples of quality filmmaking, whether they are adult dramas, action movies or teenage comedies. The acting, direction, cinematography, writing and pacing are all top notch. Above all, though, they are, in my opinion at least, the most memorable films of the decade. I've put the films in alphabetical order from the best quality to the least (5.0/5.0 movies then 4.5/5.0 then 4.0/5.0 then 3.5/5.0). This list has the potential to grow as I watch more and more films, so watch out for new additions!

3.5 - Good (5 Total)
4.0 - Very Good (11 Total)
4.5 - Great (16 Total)
5.0 - Classic (30 Total)

Comments and suggestions for movies that you think I should check out are welcome! :)

The List: IMDb: The Best films since 2000: Future Movie Classics - a list by zubidoo

P.S.: I've written short critiques of each movie to explain why I chose them.

Batman Begins.
Another Chris Nolan classic!!
In my opinion a slightly superior movie to The Dark Knight, although Heath Ledger's performance probably makes that movie stand out more!!

A very interesting topic!!
Some excellent films in there - and some that I will have to check out as I have not seen!!

Many thanks!!

i think the "movies movie" of the decade is There Will Be Blood. it will be a future classic no doubt.

Personally i would have put Moulin Rouge in there, i believe it is far superior to Chicago ( i guess i cant stand Rob Marshall films). I may sound like a Joss Whedon Fanboy with this, but don't overlook Serenity. It may also be worth giving Kick-Ass a go. And there is also my all time favourite Man on Fire.

..which is on my 10 worst of the decade list. :D
Really.

I guess tastes are different. I just bought into the whole father figure thing and the mother wanting revenge.

Really.

I guess tastes are different. I just bought into the whole father figure thing and the mother wanting revenge.

It was manipulative in the most transparent way and Tony Scott's direction is as ponderous as ever, trying to give gravity to somthing that is nothing but cheap exploitation, tapping into a (mostly young male) audiences basest emotions. Scott never trusts the audiences intelligence to work something out for themselves and and labours every plot point with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. I also hate his incessant use of slow motion. As soon as a character or object move quicker than at at walking speed he is guaranteed to go into slomo. Denzil Washington seems to be giving the same solemn, over earnest performance in every film now. Has there ever been a more humourless actor ?

Have it as a guilty pleasure by any means, but if anybody tells me that Man of Fire is a good film I will point and laugh at them. :D

Last edited:
In terms of mass public consciousness, I suspect more than two thirds of the films on that list will be forgotten in 10-20 years time. Some of them already are.

There were a lot off "best of the noughties" movie lists coming out around last new year in most of the major film publications, newspapers and websites. There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and Hidden were quite high up in most of them.

I think a film like 'Into The Wild' is quite deserving of such a list.. Emile Hirsch's best acting perfomance to date... Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is a big hit in this film IMPO.

Thank you guys for all of your comments and suggestions so far!

Please keep in mind a few things: I have not seen every movie since 2000 so some of your favorites may be missing. Also, I HAVE seen favorites like Avatar, Up, Into The Wild, Moulin Rouge, A Prophete, etc, but I saw them before I decided to write this list so I need to re-watch them with a critical eye to see how I really feel about them. Some may make it and some may not.

Although my list consists of 4 tiers (Classic, Great, Very Good and Good), there ARE movies that I would classify as "Decent" that are worth at least one viewing. Examples of Decent movies at this moment would include Munich, Master & Commander, Black Hawk Down and Children of Men. While these have fallen just shy of making it onto my best of list at this time (for various reasons), it is certainly possible that I *may* bump them up in the future. At this time, however, I feel that, although they certainly have many admirable qualities, they just don't come together well enough as a whole to be considered among the best.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It was manipulative in the most transparent way and Tony Scott's direction is as ponderous as ever, trying to give gravity to somthing that is nothing but cheap exploitation, tapping into a (mostly young male) audiences basest emotions. Scott never trusts the audiences intelligence to work something out for themselves and and labours every plot point with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. I also hate his incessant use of slow motion. As soon as a character or object move quicker than at at walking speed he is guaranteed to go into slomo. Denzil Washington seems to be giving the same solemn, over earnest performance in every film now. Has there ever been a more humourless actor ?

Have it as a guilty pleasure by any means, but if anybody tells me that Man of Fire is a good film I will point and laugh at them. :D

thank you. that film sucked. and im just amazed the Scotts are rated highly as directors, terrible zoomed in and shakey camera work in every film, all of his films look disgusting!

I think a film like 'Into The Wild' is quite deserving of such a list.. Emile Hirsch's best acting perfomance to date... Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is a big hit in this film IMPO.

That one would make my top three list of the decde too (together with Let the Right One In and the relatively obscure French thriller Read my Lips)

I generally agree about Denzel Washington, I have only enjoyed his performance in about 3 films. Them being Man On Fire, Crimson Tide and Fallen.

But i guess you must point at me and laugh because my tastes are different to yours:(

Training Day is the only Denzyl Washington film worth watching.

Training Day is the only Denzyl Washington film worth watching.

Seen them all then?

I actually missed off Glory, which was a very good film. But not within the remits of the thread.

So how about Million Dollar Baby, probably one of the most depressing endings to a film but bloody good nonetheless

Last edited:
That list shows me that I've missed a lot of recent films.

That said,
1. I found A.I. a bit dull.
2. What! No, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. What do I know anyway, I quite liked Man on Fire...

Seen them all then?
All the ones that matter.

I'd also add Malcolm X which I always overlook as I see it more of a Spike Lee film.

Glory is a very good film but I wouldn't say it was a Denzyl Washington film, he's in it but so are a lot of other good actors.

Glory is a very good film but I wouldn't say it was a Denzyl Washington film, he's in it but so are a lot of other good actors.

He stole that film for me. He was brilliant. He was excellent in Spike Lee's Mo Better Blues too.

For this thread though how about Amelie?

Amelie (2001) - IMDb

This one of my most loved films ever never mind just since 2000.

Bri

Cant believe what different taste I have to everyone...
Cant stand TWBB,Inception,Hurt Locker (thought they were garbage) but thought Man on Fire was pretty good.

Cant believe what different taste I have to everyone...
Cant stand TWBB,Inception,Hurt Locker (thought they were garbage) but thought Man on Fire was pretty good.

I think a few of us have a different taste to everyone. ;)

Interesting thread - I'll have to go and see what films I'd liked and when they were. I did enjoy Black Hawk Down a lot as well as Gladiator (which I definitely think has a chance at being a classic), and more recently Moon as well, but films that I can watch more than once will probably be on my list. Whether or not they'll stand the test of time and still be enjoyable in years to come like Star Wars remains to be seen, as will their considered status as modern classics or not I guess.

City of God was one of those films that I never thought I'd like, yet found myself glued to the screen. Same for Bridget Jones Diary! :)

As a Comic Book fan, I thought The Incredibles was a great deal better than most of the genuine attempts at converting the comics to a movie (it beat the FF movies by a long chalk - and I'm a Marvel fan too), and perhaps that may do well in years to come (Toy Story 2 misses out on your list by a year but that was excellent too IMHO).

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom