The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
“Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not yet the end”

The British film industry has a reputation for turning out films with a strong story line and that are well acted and beautifully shot. We don’t tend to go in for angst and overwrought drama set around massive exploding set pieces, preferring to lend out directors to the Yanks for that sort of thing. If this statement is true, then this is the zenith of British film making. Of course this does not necessarily make for an interesting, absorbing or critically acclaimed movie and here lies the problem. Although the scenery is beautiful, the actors all well respected and the story original, the delivery of the film is not as strong as its parts, failing to impress or convince on many aspects.

The story line is quite simple. A bunch of retirees decide to spend their dotage in somewhere warmer and cheaper than jolly old Blighty. Looking out the window at the...

Read the full review...

I really enjoyed the film, my only real complaint that an extra half hour would have allowed them to follow the stories in greater depth.
Or maybe they tried to put too many stories into one film.

I liked this film too. I much preferred it to the recently reviewed Wanderlust, i found that quite boring, very predictable and one-dimensional.

Thanks for a very fair revue.

Mrs TG and I certainly enjoyed this film, partly because we are a similar age to the main characters and partly because we were lucky enough to see the Taj Mahal for our 40th wedding anniversary.

But, as stated in the review, what a lost opportunity to use the surround sound to immerse us in the sounds of India, especially the exterior scenes.

In fact, it was virtually a stereo soundtrack.

What could have been demo material was a big let down! :thumbsdow

Quite agree with the review of the movie. I wanted more from it. It had a fantastic cast, excellent locations and a reasonable story idea. Problem was there were too many stereotypes, the lady with racist tendencies who eventually mellows, the gay man (what a surprise) and a few others. The story plods along at a predictable pace with a predictable story line and doesn't quite hit the hiatus it should do.

My feelings were, what a lost opportunity to make a damn fine movie.

Last edited:
Thanks for these replies. I agree this was an opportunity missed.

I came out of watching Safe House with the intention of watching this next.
Only when I saw the Marigold screen emptying did I change my mind. The majority were not just old, I didn't think people lived that long these days!
The following week I went to another cinema twice to see other films and both times Marigold was sold out. The next week I took the plunge with the last seat remaining and I'm glad I did.
What a charming film - and funny. I really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed this last night on blu ray. It is not often that you can watch a 2 hour film and wish there was more to come. As Trollslayer points out it really needed another half hour or so to develop the characters a bit more - the last ten minutes or so just rushed everything to reach the required conclusion. Recommended viewing though.:smashin:

Thanks for a very fair revue.

Mrs TG and I certainly enjoyed this film, partly because we are a similar age to the main characters and partly because we were lucky enough to see the Taj Mahal for our 40th wedding anniversary.

But, as stated in the review, what a lost opportunity to use the surround sound to immerse us in the sounds of India, especially the exterior scenes.

In fact, it was virtually a stereo soundtrack.

What could have been demo material was a big let down! :thumbsdow

I'm genuinely not trying to be controversial here, but did you (and the reviewer) watch this on DVD without realising? The reason I ask is because I find both your critiques rather baffling.

I own this title on BD and having watched it, can confidently state that the film looks absolutely gorgeous and that Fox should be highly commended for their BD release.

My UK BD copy of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is completely untouched by any and all of the picture issues the reviewer mentions in his review - the jaggies, the compression issues, the colour grading issues, the contrast issues, the "black levels more akin to a DVD release than a decent cinematic Blu-ray release", etc., these issues are simply nowhere to be seen on my Blu-ray copy.

In fact my UK BD copy of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel features an encode for the film which looks utterly natural and film-like and which looks like I remember it looking, when I saw it in the cinema earlier in the year.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom