The Best Dvd To Psp Software!!!

Spacecat

Ex Member
Reaction score
If you want crystal clear DVD to PSP conversions in v high quality and double quick speed get NERO recode2 available with 6.6 Ultra edition.

It did a perfect version of starwars for me at 440mb
(so 2 movies on a 1 gig card) this was a double pass encode for extra quality and took just 1 hour 12 mins!!
it even names the file correctly!!

Im sure that you could probably get away with a 325mb to 350 mb for a 2 hr movie or even lower for an hour and a half movie (starwars is 2 hours long) so u could posssibly get 3 movies on one card.

The quality for such a fast encode needs to be seen to be believed. Wo needs UMD movies!

Do you mind telling me what spec PC you are running?

Nero Recode 2 is great, but the inability to boost the sound like Psp Video 9 lets it down big style for me.

nm10721 said:
Nero Recode 2 is great, but the inability to boost the sound like Psp Video 9 lets it down big style for me.

Which is the best software to use then, overall?

i have just tried nero recode 2 with a 95 min dvd the file size was over 560 meg, could you please tell me how you managed 2 hours for the 440

thanks

Spacecat, you'd be surprised how clear UMD movies are over converted DVDs. They quality is nearly of VHS to DVD comparisons at times, as converted movies can get very pixelly.

That said, I'd rather convert, as the price of UMDs is ridiculous.

Thats my point , no way im gonna buy any UMDs for casual watching on a portable device. £17.99 Having a laugh

I like to keep my PSP DISK FREE!! LOL

Q.Do you mind telling me what spec PC you are running?

Athlon 64 3500 1 gig ram RAdeon X800XT PE card

Q. i have just tried nero recode 2 with a 95 min dvd the file size was over 560 meg, could you please tell me how you managed 2 hours for the 440 thanks.

In the FIT TO TARGET BOX click and select custom, then type in the size of file you want, it automatically sets the bit rate to fit your size.

I am finding that roughly 3 mbs per minute of film gives very decent quality if you use 2 pass, therefore a 100mins film needs only 300mb file.

I did the second starwars film just over 2 hours long at 343 mb and the quality is very good.

I do suggest using the highest quality encode setting i.e. 2 pass and extreme quality which takes a little longer or approx 1hr 14 mins for starwars in my case.

So if your films are 1.5 hrs long u can easily get 3 good quality movies on a 1 gig card and encode them in all in under 4 hours!!

The last prog i used took 5 hours ! for one film

BTW I have seen NO PIXELISATION on ANY FILM!! even during heated battle sequences in starwars i.e. loads of smoke and lasers
and people running about.

i have seen pixellated movies and made a few myself but whether its the double pass encoding or what but honestly its pixel free

Thanks for the advice spacecat, I now have the file saved onto my pc, do you know if it is possible to store finished MP4 files on either dvd or pc then transfer as and when they are required, once again thanks for your help

david.ddr said:
Thanks for the advice spacecat, I now have the file saved onto my pc, do you know if it is possible to store finished MP4 files on either dvd or pc then transfer as and when they are required, once again thanks for your help

An MPS file is like any other file and can be stored on PC or dVd or whatever. However you will need to put it in a PC to transfer that data to the PSP either by the USB connection or via a card reader

ok I will store the files on dvd and transfer a couple of movies as and when I need them thanks again for your help

david.ddr said:
i have just tried nero recode 2 with a 95 min dvd the file size was over 560 meg, could you please tell me how you managed 2 hours for the 440

thanks

I got a similar result using the free 3GP program. But the DVD was ripped using the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack, not the 5.1 version

david.ddr said:
ok I will store the files on dvd and transfer a couple of movies as and when I need them thanks again for your help

no problem mate

Thething i like about this prog is its so fast , consistent and the quality is really good

Can it only do DVDs or can it be used on .avi's on your harddrive?

Done a couple of transfers with recode 2 but wont play on my psp , says cant play this type of file.
Only success with PSPVideo9.

yeah good question, Spacecat what settings are you using in Recode2? Can you give the exact steps you used, as there are alot of options in recode2, also the resolution?

Are you outputing in Nero Digital Mpeg4 format?

Cheers man :)

I"ll second that , can anyone detail a simple to follow guide for encode 2.
I"ve just tried it again and the file on my psp says unsupported data.

Its pretty straightforward heres a brief guide

1. OPEN NERO RECODE and IMPORT FILES
(SELECT TITLE1) for DVD

2.click fit to target and select CUSTOM type in the size you want i find that 3-4 mbs per minute is a good rule for thumb for a decent conversion

3.Then click MORE at the bottom left hand corner this brings up a new window, see the bottom right hand corner
NERO DIGITAL PROFILE , PSP setting is the bottom one

then click NEXT

4.Select TARGET where you want file to go

5.CLICK NERO DIGITAL SETTINGS
select 2 PAss High Quality encoding
select best or extra quality

leave the rest and just press burn, 1 hour 15 mins later you will have a very nice film conversion

If you find that nero wont open the file because of protected use a prog like anydvd running in the background
this will remove the protection

have fun!

BTW you can set a smaller file for testing by using start here and stop here, so you can convert a few mins and just test the file without doing a whole film

Sorry to ask again Spacecat but can it only do DVDs or can it be used to convert .avi files etc. from PC/DVD?

Thanks

FR

Any idea why PSP doesn't appear in the list of profiles for me,I am coonected in USB mode.

one thing you will find is that this prog is limited to 320X240 resolution therefore most films will have black bars above and below them, no matter what size setting so u dont get to use the full screen but the aspect ratio is correct.

Its the only fault i can find and i hope that they add a 368x208 resolution so u can watch in full screen

if u want this then the best thing i find is dvd decrypter (rip dvd to one vob and then use PSP 9 or 3 G connect to convert

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom