1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the best dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by keyser, Oct 12, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whats the best dvd player out for a sane price (a simliar price range as the pioneer 737 and 747)?

The revievers at homethaterhifi seem to be keen on panasonic players as they don´t have the chroma bug. But it seems that none of the high-end panasonic players have the faroudja chip set, so what are your opinions as to what is the best progressive scan dvd player around or coming soon(that can do both pal(2:2) and ntsc(2:3) progrressive scan)?? Do philips have dvd players that do pal/ntsc progressive scan and have the faroudja chip, how have they been reviewed?

Thank you

2. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do a search on this forum or the www.avsforum.com DVD player forum on Philips Q50 and 962. Both with Faroudja and do prog PAL & NTSC after remote control modification. I'm told these are among the very best players currently..

Beware though, do not touch the European versions of these because they don't even have the hardware for PS. At least Asian and Australian versions should be fine, not sure about US..

3. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to add before somebody else does, that a Philips 963 MAY be released in Europe some day, MAY have the F chipset and MAY perform bot prog PAL & NTSC. The jury seems to be still out on this one.

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What.. the european versions don´t do progressive, and the australian and asian SHOULD and not sure about the us version... whats left?

Is the q50AT any different from the q50. Is that the philips top of the line player. What is the best one in europe and what´s coming soon.
    I´m looking for a player to replace and improve upon my pioneer 737, which is quite good. (a top range player with higher resolution(the latest players seem to have about 70 more lines if i remember correctly) with pal/faroudja progressive and no chroma bug could be better)

5. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The q50 is reviewed in the dvd benchmark 2001, hans´t it gotten or is getting replaced?

Is there ANY dvd player, that does pal and ntsc progressive scan with the faroudja chip and plays mp3 and svcd´s?

Are there any drawbacks from buying a dvd player in the us and using it here... if it´s multi system like the philips q50?