1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best deal 15-17uinch LCD screen ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by stewarthollyhead, May 20, 2003.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know where the best deals are for a new portable TV. I am thinkingof buying an LCD but am reluctant to pay the £700 tags at dixons etc.

also any recommendations on the best actual set for the money

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Stewart,

INMO the Grundig 17" is the best small LCD TV - even at £700.

Steve

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    If you can cope with 4x3 you can pick up a quite nice LG item for GBP350-400. For 16x9, the Grundig is probably the best there is at present. There is another thread on here about a 'clone' of the Grundig. Do a search.

4. s_tether

s_tether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you looked at a Kiss 15" Widescreen Monitor ?
    It has Video inputs and is silver
    I've seen it on internet suppliers for circa £250

5. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone actually used the KISS tv?
    How does it perform compared to the others

6. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received my Kiss Coolview from Jasperfish ((£265 + £10 delivery)yesterday. Hooked it up to my dvd player via s-video (can do RGB via din plug but don't have necessary cable [where can I get a scart to din cable, anyone?] and the picture is, IMHO, really rather good. The contrast / brightness ranges are not great, but they will do for me. Also hooked it up to freeview (scart to phono cable) and again I was impressed by the image on display.

It has normal, anamorphic, 4:3 and zoom modes - and you can customize screen settings via the menu (tint, colour, linear/crt mode etc). Have ordered a Packard Bell flat panel speaker package from Dixons (£19.95) to provide sound.

£275 + £19.95 for a widescreen monitor and speakers - no way would I think about paying £400 plus for any other model! This is definitely the way forward!

The screen looks great and the wife loves it - wonders will never cease!

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I also have a Coolview got it from Monitor Warehouse for £256 (price matched against Scan). The picture is fine for a Bedroom set and it is a fabulous piece of design work. The best feature is the stand which folds right back to become the wall mounting bracket. It has a 3 year waranty as well (+1 year from Barclaycard).

8. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it need an additional TV tuner/freeview box? or has it got a built in tuner.

Sounds like it also comes without sound?

Once i bought the TV tuner and speakers isnt that nearly as much as£450 sets?

9. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look on www.letsbuyit.com - they have the Samsungs on there for a very good price at the mo - from £365 for the standard 15 inch to £549 for the W/S 17.

10. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a video player you can hook this up (scart to phono) to the coolview monitor and use this as the tuner. I tried this and a digibox and both worked fine.

£260 screen
    £20 flat panel + subwoofer packard bell speakers
    (£50 for cheap vcr?)

Assuming you have a video then this is still significantly less than an lcd screen with tuner and speakers built in. Most £400 lcd televisions are 4:3 ratio - remember that the coolview is 16:9!

Hope this clears things up for you.

11. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I toyed with getting the Samsung but decided that the Coolview was the best bet. However £365 is a very good deal. If you just want a TV with no other equipment then it may be fine but the sound will be very poor (due to the size of the speakers).

I'm using my Coolview with a spare nicam video (with scart to phono) and a Sony CMT-M90DVD system which I bought last week from Curry's for £159. This gives me TV, VCR, DVD, CD, Tape, Tuner and Timer for less than £500 which is pretty unbeatable.

The only thing I may change is the speakers that came with the Sony, they're not bad but the cabinets are quite deep. I think I've got a pair of JBL Control 1s lying a round somewhere that might do the trick.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I saw a KISS WS panel in morgans yesterday, not sure whether it was the same one here (15.2 inch cool something), I felt it was off the top field re quality but was well priced

13. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The one in Morgan's is the same item. That image quality is only average but it does offer a lot of user adjustment. As a computer monitor it is a bad choice as the image is not very bright (not such a problem for film/tv).