The best deal 15-17uinch LCD screen ?

S

stewarthollyhead

anyone know where the best deals are for a new portable TV. I am thinkingof buying an LCD but am reluctant to pay the £700 tags at dixons etc.

also any recommendations on the best actual set for the money

Hi Stewart,

INMO the Grundig 17" is the best small LCD TV - even at £700.

Steve

If you can cope with 4x3 you can pick up a quite nice LG item for GBP350-400. For 16x9, the Grundig is probably the best there is at present. There is another thread on here about a 'clone' of the Grundig. Do a search.

Have you looked at a Kiss 15" Widescreen Monitor ?
It has Video inputs and is silver
I've seen it on internet suppliers for circa £250

has anyone actually used the KISS tv?
How does it perform compared to the others

Received my Kiss Coolview from Jasperfish ((£265 + £10 delivery)yesterday. Hooked it up to my dvd player via s-video (can do RGB via din plug but don't have necessary cable [where can I get a scart to din cable, anyone?] and the picture is, IMHO, really rather good. The contrast / brightness ranges are not great, but they will do for me. Also hooked it up to freeview (scart to phono cable) and again I was impressed by the image on display.

It has normal, anamorphic, 4:3 and zoom modes - and you can customize screen settings via the menu (tint, colour, linear/crt mode etc). Have ordered a Packard Bell flat panel speaker package from Dixons (£19.95) to provide sound.

£275 + £19.95 for a widescreen monitor and speakers - no way would I think about paying £400 plus for any other model! This is definitely the way forward!

The screen looks great and the wife loves it - wonders will never cease!

I also have a Coolview got it from Monitor Warehouse for £256 (price matched against Scan). The picture is fine for a Bedroom set and it is a fabulous piece of design work. The best feature is the stand which folds right back to become the wall mounting bracket. It has a 3 year waranty as well (+1 year from Barclaycard).

does it need an additional TV tuner/freeview box? or has it got a built in tuner.

Sounds like it also comes without sound?

Once i bought the TV tuner and speakers isnt that nearly as much as£450 sets?

Look on www.letsbuyit.com - they have the Samsungs on there for a very good price at the mo - from £365 for the standard 15 inch to £549 for the W/S 17.

If you have a video player you can hook this up (scart to phono) to the coolview monitor and use this as the tuner. I tried this and a digibox and both worked fine.

£260 screen
£20 flat panel + subwoofer packard bell speakers
(£50 for cheap vcr?)

Assuming you have a video then this is still significantly less than an lcd screen with tuner and speakers built in. Most £400 lcd televisions are 4:3 ratio - remember that the coolview is 16:9!

Hope this clears things up for you.

Originally posted by wandersen
Look on www.letsbuyit.com - they have the Samsungs on there for a very good price at the mo - from £365 for the standard 15 inch to £549 for the W/S 17.

I toyed with getting the Samsung but decided that the Coolview was the best bet. However £365 is a very good deal. If you just want a TV with no other equipment then it may be fine but the sound will be very poor (due to the size of the speakers).

I'm using my Coolview with a spare nicam video (with scart to phono) and a Sony CMT-M90DVD system which I bought last week from Curry's for £159. This gives me TV, VCR, DVD, CD, Tape, Tuner and Timer for less than £500 which is pretty unbeatable.

The only thing I may change is the speakers that came with the Sony, they're not bad but the cabinets are quite deep. I think I've got a pair of JBL Control 1s lying a round somewhere that might do the trick.

I saw a KISS WS panel in morgans yesterday, not sure whether it was the same one here (15.2 inch cool something), I felt it was off the top field re quality but was well priced

The one in Morgan's is the same item. That image quality is only average but it does offer a lot of user adjustment. As a computer monitor it is a bad choice as the image is not very bright (not such a problem for film/tv).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom