The Best Console

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by coluigi, May 8, 2007.

1. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    As a potential future games developer and with recent stories about some systems being harder/easier to develop for I was wondering last night about the best console.

What I mean here is if Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony were one company what would be the best console they could output?

Obviously we could all wish for massively amazing things, but remember, cost and the attraction to a buyer as a games console is important.

Personally I'd like the control scheme of the Wii, the internal workings of a PS3 and the online capabilities of the 360(for free). Theoretically it shouldn't be more expensive than a current PS3.

What about everyone else?

2. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'd like the 360, with the noise level and reliability of a cartridge based machine (i.e none) and also the in built wifi of the Wii/PS3. It would lose the goliath of a power adaptor as well!!

If someone made that and packaged it in the shell of a N64 (stiil in my view the best looking console there's been) i'd be happy.:thumbsup:

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    I would love to see a console with the upgradebility of the PC, so you can customise what power it has.

Have the ability to use whatever controls you want for games, motion sensing, joypad, mouse and keyboard.

Has the power to emit a subliminal frequency that puts your gf/wife into a zen like state, and makes them perfectly happy with a grown man, shouting loudly at a television screen for a few hours!

4. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    In terms of ease of development, with MS being a software company for the most part, I personally would think they would spend the most time in making it easy to develop for (we're see this for the 360 with the XNA studo thing now)

As for upgradability? no way. The whole thing about consoles is that you don't need to check specs etc or fuss about with settings or components.

Any 360 game will work with any 360, and PS3 game will work in any PS3 etc. Do you honestly thing console gaming would be as big as it is if you could upgrade things making it like a PC?

We already have an upgradable games system, and your using one now :smashin:

And if MS, sony and nintendo joined together, all we would see is a ridiculously expensive console that no one can afford (as they only real thing that keeps prices down is competition)

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    They already have them and they're called PC's. To be honest when you add all that into a console it ceases to be a console. One of the main principles of a console is that the hardware is standardised. Every console gamer plays on the same kit and developers know exactly what they have to play with and can then optimise that hardware over the life of the console.

I guess that with Vista, Windows Live, living room friendly PC designs and a wide range of wireless peripherals, there is already the possibility to have the kind of machine that you would love to see.

As people have said, the 3 companies have their own strengths and the natural thing is to take the strengths from each company. I guess that would be the fun, imagination and control innovation of the Wii, the online capabilities of the 360 and the build quality and general specification of the PS3.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Yeah I didn't say they weren't. He asked what would you want to see in a console :) Thats what I would want :) Something with the versatility of the PC but without all the MS Windows rubbish that comes with it.

I just find it really annoying, especially with controllers, that you just can't use something. Mouse and Keyboard IS the only way to play FPS at the moment. My PS3 can accept it, but won't work with it, what is the point of that!! :p

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    My problem isn't so much with the console being versatile and I welcome a degree of versatility. My problem was more the fact that you suggest upgradability of the console to customise the power it has. That stops it being a console as you then get the situation you have with PC's, where some games will work on some machines and not others.

The whole idea of a console is that everyone has the same machine and that games are developed for that specific hardware.

I don't have a problem with other control devices as long as you can see what controllers people are using (i.e. joypad/mouse and keyboard or joypad/steering wheel) and therefore choose to play against people with the same controller type to create a level playing field.

Like I say though, the only real problem I has with your suggestion was the upgradability thing.

8. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Also if it's upgradeable aren't you alienating a massive chunk of market who are unsure how to do this/unwilling to pay more?

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Yeah I agree with the points, and in reality it will never happen (I usually argue against it!). But if it was an ideal world, it would be awesome :)

I am just an upgrade freak, especially when it comes to my mountain bikes :p

10. Chrispyphillips

Chrispyphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Finally, Chrispyphillips HAS COME BACK, To Swansss
    Ratings:
    +227
    Interesting stuff this!!

Firstly, I think a lot of what the different consoles are doing now is fantastic, and I'm not sure I'd have it any other way to be honest. I mean, the fact that the PS3 has built in wireless and Blu-Ray drive may be what makes a person chose that over a 360. Similarly, the 360 has a great controller, fantastic live service, and the option to upgrade the machine (i.e wireless adaptor/controllers, HDD etc) over time, which to one person will make it more appealing than a Wii, and so on. One super console would only serve to throw this dynamic so I dont think thats the answer.

Now, I know bog all about cell processing, chips, RAM, ROM, ROMCOM, but I know what I enjoy, so I suppose my ideal console would be one which has the appeal of the PS3 (shiny, well build casing) but the size of a Wii, or slim line PS2 (I also think its important for it to be able to either stand up or lie down). It would naturally feature a quiet Disc drive, but one that plays all types of discs (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, CD, Div-X the list goes on) and I chose discs over cart, mainly cos of the price and ease of packaging, although carts would be ideal I suppose if creating the 'perfect' games machine.

The controller would be confortable, like the 360, but would have the option to use wands such as the Wii, but whilst we're at it, lets have full body motion sensors, why not?! It would feature the same family appeal of the Wii, but also the same online experience as a PC, or Xbox Live.

Theres so many things, that making the ideal super console I think is a bit of a way off at the moment, at least until the price of components comes down, but to be perfectly honest, i'm more than happy with the way things are being done at the moment (except for the fact that my 360 is constantly crashing mid game on Vegas!!!)

Sorry, is this a pointless post? :oops:

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I agree that there's certainly a market for it as you just have to look at PC's. Really all you would need would be a dual boot PC which had a normal XP/Vista boot and also a specific gaming boot which took you to a console style front end OS without loading up a version of Windows.

To be honest i'm surprised that there hasn't been such a thing as yet or even just a pure games dedicated PC based console which didn't even have windows installed and instead just had a custom made OS similar to consoles have today (but with a system function that allowed you to deal with upgrades etc.). I guess the XBox was kind of like that apart from you couldn't really upgrade much about it and still have it play XBox games.

There was also that Phantom thing which never saw the light of day and that was A PC based console.

I suppose that VISTA is a step towards the PC being a more user friendly console type system, but it's still a full OS that takes up more system than is needed to just play games.

I think that there is certainly a market for Gaming PC's to branch off down a more console based route, especially now we have HDTV's. An upgradable PC console that basically just runs the same games as any other PC and can take the same hardware upgrades without the need for a resource consuming Windows install makes a lot of sense. Infact, i'm really surprised that MS doesn't move the XBox brand down that route and look to combine the XBox with the PC in one user friendly console. They could keep the XBox brand and styling and simply make the unit PC compatible but with a 360 style front end. You wouldn't be able to use it for any other PC related things (apart from media related stuff) and they could release it in one spec that can be upgraded with future standard PC parts. Normal PC's (office, home computing etc.) would remain the same and still run Windows. There would be a loss of Windows sales to PC gamers I guess, but they would also dominate the serious console market as they would have the PC market & XBox market combined. That is litterally a potential market of millions! The initial console could be sold at a loss and they could also release a range of custom hardware upgrades that are best suited for use in the console.

I guess that they would have to do a proper analysis to see what the effect of lost Windows sales for gaming PC's would be (as that's their main business after all) but i'd have thought that the sales for family PC's and office PC's would dwarf gaming PC sales.

Regarding the best console though, I am not sure if there really is such a thing as they all appeal to different markets and people. To some the Wii will be perfect and to others the PS3 will be the answer to their dreams. If you combine all the good features together then you simply get a jack of all trades, master of none.

If you just add things in like the Wii's controllers etc. then they just become gimmicks. The whole thing about the Wii is that the whole philosophy is based around the controller and if that controller then just becomes an optional extra for some super console, then the whole point of it is lost and it wouldn't get the support it deserves. Things like good storage, a good online service, good connectivity etc. are things which all consoles should share however.