the best connections to use

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rjperry25, Nov 6, 2005.

1. rjperry25

rjperry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the following kit

Pioneer VSX-AX5iS AV receiver
    DV-668AV DVD player
    PDP-434HDE PLasma screen
    Sky+

It's all connected up and is running fine. What I would like to know is this.

Q: At present the DVD is connected to the tuner via conponents and the sounds goes to the reciever via digital coaxial. Could I not use just a HDMI connection and have less cables and better quality picture and also use a optical toslink instead? The sky+ is using scart plus a toslink.

Also what is the iLink connections used for. Is that batter than HDMI and optical?
    Last but not least HDTV? Is the Plasma I bought HDTV ready?????

A bewildered beginner!

2. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cant help on anything much but i thik iLink is for connecting up a camcorder

3. avjon

avjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi rjperry,
    In reply to your use of i-link, it is only an audio link, not video, while your HDMI output is used for video and audio. As your 668 does not have an i-link socket you would be best connecting the 668 and the AX5 by coaxial digital cable to transmit DVD audio, quality phono cable to transmit analgue CD audio, and 3 phono cables to transmit SACD/DVD-audio multichannel surround sound. You would then connect your 668 via HDMI to your HDMI eqipped display. I know this is a lot of cables but unless you upgrade to an 868/989 DVD you will not be able to i-link your AX5 to your DVD player.
    You would also connect your SKY+ box via RGB scart to your plasma, and by optical digital cable to your AX5.
    I hope that this does not confuse you too much!

Jon.