The Best Alternative To Bond

Who is your favourite spy not including James Bond?

• Callan (Callan).

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • John Drake (Danger Man).

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Derek Flint (Our Man Flint).

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Matt Helm (The Silencers).

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Harry Palmer (Ipcress Files).

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Kelly Robertson and Alexander Scott (I-Spy).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Napoleon Solo (The Man Form U.N.C.L.E).

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Boysie Oakes (The Liquidator).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Garrett

When James Bond was a hit it spawned a lot of other spy guys which is your favourite of them.

I have tried to keep it limited to those that were out about the same time as the early James Bond films.

KraGorn

Novice Member
Inviting us to show our age, eh Garrett? :D

Patrick Magoohan (sp?) for me.

Garrett

Originally posted by KraGorn
Inviting us to show our age, eh Garrett? :D

Patrick Magoohan (sp?) for me.
:laugh: Yes

I did not know if to include The Prisoner but was he a spy in it and it may have diluted the vote for Patrick McGoohan.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Crikey! The only ones I have even heard of are the Ipcress Files and The Man From U.n.c.l.e.

Can't say that I have ever seen either of them though.

I guess this must be a poll for you old people.:)

Greg

Garrett

Greg it just proves age has its compensations ;) not like a lot of the rubbish they put on today. Also they have all been show in the last 10 years (the ones that are not films) on Granada Plus and I-Spy was also show round midnight on terrestrial.

Matt Helm is in The Ambushers on Thursday at 12.50 on Channel 4 at lunch time (he was probably the biggest spoof of Bond).

If you missed Callan you have missed a real treat he was a bit of an anti-hero and had to do things he hated (like killing people) but his way which his superiors did not like. It was the grittiest of the spy’s. It stated Edward Woodward as Callan and Russell Hunter has his (smelly master burglar) friend Lonely who sadly died the other week see here.

Mylo it was Illya Kuryakin played by David McCallum.

vonhosen

Novice Member
Originally posted by Garrett
.......... Illya Kuryakin played by David McCallum.
I preferred him in Sapphire & Steel.

Ah no I didin't , I just liked it because of Joanna Lumley, she looked so good then ;)

Harry Palmer gets my vote :smashin:

the_pauley

Banned
Dangerman / Prisoner should be a single category Garrett as it is widely accepted that Number 6 and John Drake are one and the same.

There are many clues to this in the series and there is even a episode where someone shouts "Drake" at Number 6 from a distance.

seany

Banned
Got to be palmer

Callan was great, but i don't think his style would have suited the international spy scene

Napoleon Solo!!!

Garrett

But didn’t Callan do work abroad on a few occasions and on one occasion get caught by the Russians.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Jack Ryan?
Soon to be arriving Dirk Pitt? ( Sahara: although Raise the Titanic is actually a Dirk Pitt story)

Garrett

Just added one to the list Boysie Oakes from The Liquidator.

Should have remembered him from all the John Gardner books I read of the character.:blush:

R

rhoamish

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I watched The Quiller Memorandum this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has more of a realistic sheen to it than the Bond movies, and George Segal is pretty entertaining as Quiller.

Nice ending to the film, too: I get so sick of Hollywood endings.

Matinee

Standard Member
Has to be Napoleon Solo.. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is the only programme that has actually featured James Bond in it..

PK

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom