Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The best "all round" set up?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Si133, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to your help, I got a Panny TH42PE30, and its now hanging on the wall in my living roon. It looks fantastic.

The picture quality is ok, but not as good as the set up in the shop. So, I ask one final favour.....suggestions for my final purchases of accessories.

I'm interestested in the best TV and DVD picture for average viewing, without spending a fortune (I spent all the money on the TV). I am currently using a analogue aerial signal, as I can't get freeview in my area.

Can you help?

1. Recommend scarts/leads that will visibly improve my viewing of TV and DVD.

2. Recommend a DVD player that will visibly improve my viewing.

3. Recommend the best TV settings.

4. Recommend the best set up if I got sky?

Thanks folk!

2. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone even give me a clue as to why my picture is only average on both TV and DVD? The Techwood in Curry's has a better pic than my set up.

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With an analogue signal you are never going to get a superb picture. Both Freeview and Sky should give you a better picture quality. I know Sky are supposed to be intorducing a freeview alternative, which I think is going to about £150 as a one off payment.

The cables provided with any TV, DVD etc are usually rubbish. Any cable from a well known manufacturer (QED, IXOS etc) should give you an improvement in picture quality.

A DVD player is hard to suggest without knowing a budget. The Toshiba SD330 has had some good reviews and can be picked up for about £70. The best quality from a DVD you will get will be from a Progressive Scan player using the component outputs. But with the PE30 you will need to hook up a scart as well to get sound unless you have a separate amplifier.

Get an AVIA or DVE DVD to help set up your screen.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's probably just due to your settings (unless your aerial is really ropey). With the greatest respect to techwood owners, the panny picture should be better. I had a pw6 which is basically the same screen and had no problems getting a good picture with using the separate analogue tuner.

A lot of people dismiss analogue pictures on a plasma but I have to say that I thought that it was pretty good on mine and we had to use it a lot when the sky+ was being used by my daughter.

There are many and numerous ways to connect these things and everyone has their own preferences. I don't have a component dvd player to use, just an old Sony 525. I connected as follows:

AV1 - Sky+ using RGB
    AV2 - Sony 525 DVD using RGB
    AV4 - Playstation 2 using s-vid

I would certainly have said that the picture quality was better than any shop set up I'd seen. The only reason I didn't keep it was that is I'm one of those that can see the screen flicker. Stick with it, that's a really good screen.

Oh and don't forget to turn the contrast and brilliance down, if it's anything like the pw6 it was set way too high and spoilt the picture. Also, lower the sharpness as I thought that was also too intense on mine.

Good luck and I'm sure that more and better informed suggestions will soon be forthcoming: there are lots of panny owners here!